MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Anyone had the brunch @ 43 north?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Anyone had the brunch @ 43 north?

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:07 pm

what did you think?
Ashley
Forum Addict

Re: Anyone had the brunch @ 43 north?

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:21 pm

Tried it back in April. I liked my dish quite a bit (what's now on the menu as the Elvis Benedict). But two orders of bacon were served pretty much cold--and with partially-congealed fat--and the Cobb salad (not curretly on the menu) was too heavy on the greens-to-nongreens ratio.

So, inconsistent but with potential?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kulgar » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Twice and enjoyed it both times. They've reorganized the menu so it's easier to find some typical brunch fare but they still stretch the envelope if you are so inclined. And the wine list is well balanced. I'd rate it number one for brunch on/near the Square given the food and dappled sunlight ambience of King St.

Tried Graze a number of times but for some unfathamoed reason they do not put up the umbrellas until everyone has been overcome by the heat. And watching the wait staff wander around with plates of food is still a problem, I thought they numbered those tables so that shouldn't happen.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:19 pm

I was in a party of three there recently. I was very disappointed. We had previously had and enjoyed dinner there - though were not blown away by it.

The brunch was well below the quality of the dinner. the food just had so many errors and oddities that I doubt we will be back anytime soon. Eggs in all three dishes were cooked improperly. I had the elvis benedict and, in addition to overcooked poached eggs, the pork belly was way off. The outer part was nice and crispy, but the rest was really tough and borderline inedible. The potato side that came with all of our brunches was devoid of flavor entirely. The biscuits and gravy were no better than one might get at an average diner.

On the plus side, the brunch was inexpensive.

I would rate it as among the worst brunches around the square. I'd definitely go to Marigold, OF, Coopers, Graze, Brocach, Merchant, and even Tutto pasta first.

I sincerely hope that it was just an off day for the cooks there. (Didn't see the head chef).
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Tutto Pasta closed four months ago...

Postby kulgar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:16 am

The Kitchen Gallery from Willy St is moving in there in two months.

Brocach serves typical Irish fare so go if you like over cooked slop. It's nice it the shade although that piper, if he's still there, was awful.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:45 am

Tutto on State is still open (though I don't think either Tutto has/had a brunch menu...?), and this is a thread about 43 North anyway.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Thread content?

Postby kulgar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:00 am

The previous post said go to Tutto Pasta in the context of the Square brunches. I pointed out that was impossible. There were enough "brunchie" things on the menu on King St along with a decent wine list that made it viable for "brunch" on Saturdays. And it was in the shade.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:35 am

Brunch, anywhere, is overrated. There, I said it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 pm

I forgot tutto was gone now -- it's been a while since I've been there and I don't really miss it; hopefully that adequately expresses how low my opinion of 43 North's brunch is.

What is with all of the references to sunlight? Do you have some sort of skin condition? I have never seen someone so obsessed with sunlight when "reviewing" restaurants before.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews