MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Delivery Pizza

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Delivery Pizza

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:59 am

I have mixed results from Glass Nickel and Roman Candle. I have always had good delivery pizza from Ian's. I actually prefer eating deliver from them than going into the restaurant for a slice; the crust seems better. I only order pizza for work lunches. If I want pizza for dinner, I prefer to go to Cafe Porta Alba.

When people discuss pizza delivery, I always think of this article from the Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/everyo ... ery-p,504/
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:01 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Falbo's and Rosati's are edible.

Funny whenever friends of mine suggest either of those I lose respect for them. Really though? Falbo's and Rosati's are OK and Glass Nickel isn't? Can we drop the attitude and realize people just have different tastes? I for one would take the Nickel over both of those any day. in fact Falbo's may be at or near the bottom of my list.

"Edible" is a lot different than winning "Best of Madison"; which GN consistently does...

I have no trouble admitting that those places aren't that great. Can you admit the same about GN?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:18 pm

I have no trouble admitting that those places aren't that great. Can you admit the same about GN?

Nope. I think GN is great. I love a lot of the specialty pies but even the late night one topping sausage is great. The wings are great and the huge-ass chicken Cesar salad? best thing in town.
Last edited by fisticuffs on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:20 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Nope. I think GN is great.

whoa.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:26 pm

whoa.

You're really having trouble with the whole concept of "opinion" today aren't you? I CAN say GN is great because that's just like my opinion man. It is as factually correct as your statement that you are such an arrogant douche that you lose respect for friends based on their food tastes (which by the way is far more an embarrassing thing to admit to than any pizza preference).
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:33 pm

fisticuffs wrote:...you lose respect for friends based on their food tastes (which by the way is far more an embarrassing thing to admit to than any pizza preference).

I lose respect for their tastes (in food). Critical reading, try it.

I don't think its arrogant to lose interest in someone's opinion on a topic if their opinion flies in the face of what you believe to be true. If you LOVE GN then I'm not sure I respect what you have to say about other food because GN is so obviously bad to me.

Are there times we can disagree and I still respect your views? Sure, but I draw the line at incredibly obvious terrible pizza...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Seriously?

Can some mod just digest *every* pizza thread and place it in the FAQ? For craps sake I believe the top three Madison political hot buttons are:

1. Bikes vs. Cars
2. Pedestrians vs. Bikes
3. Pizza

Mexican food is likely next.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Crockett wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Nope. I think GN is great.

whoa.

Fistie admitted he's from Beloit. He's used to a steady diet of Spam and gov't cheese. So don't be too hard on the boy.

I've had Glass Nickel takeout. Very, very average.

Pizza Pit back in the day was original. Can't say it was great, but I ilked the somewhat spicy sauce, even as a kid.

I thought the old Paisan's location made a good pie. Can't speak for the "new" location.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Fistie admitted he's from Beloit. He's used to a steady diet of Spam and gov't cheese

We actually had some pretty great pizza in B-town proper. Tony & Maria's (also in Janesville) which is a sloppy sauce/cheese mess in sizes up to and including 24". Really sweet sauce that haunts your dreams. Anna Maria's in SoBo very traditional tasty pies. And of course Tilley's. OK Tilley's is a very acquired taste. It's too greasy for most but for others an unstoppable craving.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:43 pm

When someone tells me that Glass Nickel is good pizza, I know they don't know much about pizza.

And when someone tells me that Glass Nickel is better than Rosati's, I know they don't care about good pizza.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 pm

fisticuffs reference to tony & maria's validates his taste in pizza somewhat for me. i'm no big fan of glass nickel, but i will say it is better than the crap rosati's put's out. i like falbo's and picasso's OK, but my favorite is maria's in oregon...proof that for the best pizza you have to go outside of madison
babelfish

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 pm

babelfish wrote:...proof that for the best pizza you have to go outside of madison

"proof" indeed
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:32 pm

I seldom order pizza for delivery anymore. I think Glass Nickel is OK. A lot of people love it so who am I to say they're wrong. It's not like I, and most likely any of us, have a doctorate in Pizza Appreciation hanging up on our wall.

I usually go for Rocky's. They haven't been mentioned yet, so here is another one to criticize at no extra charge!

I'm enjoying the passion generated by this topic. From the vitriol used on Glass Nickel's offerings, you would think that Scott Walker had made and delivered them.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:45 pm

iwiw99 wrote: ...expensive...

If price is a legitimate concern, one can cut the cost in half for several local stores by purchasing a Bucky Book. There are many buy-one-get-one-free coupons for pizza. Plus, you get to support a charitable organization that chooses to raise funds via this program.
I've been buying these for years, and it doesn't take long to recover your $35 (especially when purchasing pies that approach 20 bucks a piece). If you're a golfer or Dells fan, it's a no-brainer.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:45 pm

There is one food I hate discussing and that's pizza. I personally love very thin crust Sicilian style which I grew up with. Nothing in town is that good. Square cut by the way. Every town has a bunch of pizza places. Everyone has strong opinions and they go all over the place. With pizza I say you like what you like and leave it at that. I don't think pizza should a test of someones culinary tastes. I love pizza, but for fuck sake, it's pizza.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews