MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Delivery Pizza

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Delivery Pizza

Postby timby » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:11 am

lukpac wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:There is one food I hate discussing and that's pizza. I personally love very thin crust Sicilian style which I grew up with. Nothing in town is that good. Square cut by the way.

Greenbush (although square cut is luck of the draw)? Cafe La Bellitalia will do really thin, but you have to explicitly ask; their normal "thin crust" isn't quite so much. "Extra thin" usually works.

Buck's is pretty great on this, too, though I've found it's best to pay the extra $1.50 for double toppings -- they tend to be a little skimpy on the sausage.
timby

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I love Buck's. It's as close as I can get (which sadly isn't all that close) to my all-time favorite: Sam's Pizza in Wausau. Thin, crispy crust, a light hand on the sauce, and one tasty blob of sausage in the center of every small, square slice.

Last year for our anniversary dinner my husband sneaked up to Wausau and brought back a couple Sam's pies. That's love.

(Unrelated: my guess is MoneyMogul cares nothing about pizza and lots about spam.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Ducatista wrote:Last year for our anniversary dinner my husband sneaked up to Wausau and brought back a couple Sam's pies. That's love.

I love Sam’s too! Used to love Wausau Mine Co., but since the renovation it’s just not the same. New cooks there too, I confirmed it last time I was there. Those Italian fries, yum!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Slightly off-topic, I had no idea there was this Madtown Pizza place where Supreme used to be---since July according to the article. Looks pretty promising, anyone tried it?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 pm

massimo wrote:Slightly off-topic, I had no idea there was this Madtown Pizza place where Supreme used to be---since July according to the article. Looks pretty promising, anyone tried it?

Pizza was okay. Service was, well, struggling. We've called for carryout twice, once a couple of months ago, and once over the past weekend. I think the only people working there are all family members (probably to keep overhead low?), but the girl working the counter, sheesh. Really, really nice girl, but not cut out for the fast-paced work that running a register/taking orders can be at a busy pizza joint. She had problems making change. Sweet, though. Perhaps she would be better suited in another role at the shop....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 pm

massimo wrote:Slightly off-topic, I had no idea there was this Madtown Pizza place where Supreme used to be---since July according to the article. Looks pretty promising, anyone tried it?

Haven't been there, but this made me quite skeptical:

"Madtown's pizza is one of the best thin-crust pizzas I've had in Madison, perhaps only rivaled by Roman Candle."
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 pm

city2countrygal wrote:Used to love Wausau Mine Co., but since the renovation it’s just not the same. New cooks there too, I confirmed it last time I was there. Those Italian fries, yum!

Oh, no! Can't imagine anything other than the faux-cave interior I knew and loved back when it was a major high-school hangout in the 80s. Loved those fries, but not as much as my favorite Mine Co. crime against cardiovascular health: golden nuggets. Little butter-soaked hunks of bread covered in a blanket of golden melty mozz. Oh. My. God.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:47 pm

They attempted another faux-cave interior, but it's just not the same unless it's covered in dust! Mmmm, golden nuggets. BTW, the cooks used to drop the cheese on those zaas like it was going out of style. Two hands scooping it up and dropping it down, multiple times. The most cheese on a pizza I have ever seen. Oh the old days, when I didn't need to count calories! :lol:
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Gave Madtown Pizza a shot tonight. I like what they've done with the dining area, it's definitely a step up from Supreme. I'm rather ambivalent towards Roman Candle, so it may not mean too much for me to say I like Madtown better. I prefer Greenbush and Brutta's thin crust to Madtown's, but the comparisons might be unfair because the pizzas aren't quite the same styles. Also had an Italian beef sandwich which was pretty tasty, but don't expect a Chicago-style production a la Dog Eat Dog. This beef came on toasted bread, like garlic bread, and there's no giardiniera in sight. Prices are reasonable, and the service was ok. A man who I assume was the owner checked in, asking "How's everything? Edible?" which I thought was an amusing alternative to the "How are your first bites tasting?" script I seem to hear more and more often these days.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

massimo wrote:I prefer Greenbush and Brutta's thin crust to Madtown's, but the comparisons might be unfair because the pizzas aren't quite the same styles.

How would you compare the style of this to Greenbush?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

I think Greenbush, overall, is just... fancier. They have the rocket hot oven, the blistered, cornmeal dusted crust, and a wider array of toppings. Madtown slums it with their metal oven and blue-collar toppings, but the result is delicious nevertheless. The crust is doughy but crispy, and has a yeasty flavor that I happen to like quite a bit. Which pizza I crave will depend on my mood that day...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews