MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ichiban on Park St.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Ichiban on Park St.

Postby NullDevice » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:34 pm

I've been back twice now, to verify if it was indeed a fluke or not. Once for lunch.

Lunch was decent, and big. The specials were not quite as interesting as the main menu, but still, the red-braised short ribs were flavorful and very redolant of star anise, and the "sliced pork with capiscum" was tasty - although the "capiscum" in question was matchstick-sliced bell pepper. I was hoping for something spicy, and while there was a little kick from some red chili sprinkled on at the end, it wasn't precisely what I wanted. Althoguh in fairness, I'd had a similar dish before and it was basically the same flavoring, just called something different.

At dinner another night, I had to have the cumin lamb again. Just as good the second time around. The beef with ginger and scallion was delicious as well, and likely something the spice-averse may enjoy, although it proved to be very garlicky as well as gingery.

The sichuan cucumber appetizer was a simple preparation of long slices of cucumber dressed with chili oil, ginger, and sichuan pepper. Delicious and simple, but a beast to eat if you're not especially dextrous with chopsticks.

Oh, and their smoothies (or "Smooties" as the menu calls them) are quite good and not cloyingly sweet. (See what I did there? I said "cloying." I am now R. Kadushin.) They always seem to be out of the tapioca for the boba part of them, though.

The only culinary complaint I've had about the place is that sometimes it seems they go too light on the sichuan pepper, and relatedly there don't seem to be any of the traditional "strange flavor" or "hot-and-numbing" dishes on the menu as one might expect to find. That said, their menu is vast enough to not really miss it.

My biggest concern is that the place is too big to last. Their space is enormous, and they even seem to have what looks like a small live music venue off to the side. With the giant menu and the huge space, I worry that they might suffer the same sort of fate as China Palace, although CP had other problems as well. But I'll do my part to keep them propped up.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Just heard today that Ichiban has changed owners. No idea how that'll impact the food. I really hope it doesn't.

Of course, I also hope they'll keep their current 8-mile delivery radius.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

I ate there on sunday and it was pretty much the same. Dunno if they had transitioned or not, but the food was great.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews