MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Happy Grill

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Happy Grill

Postby lukpac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:21 pm

New Mexican restaurant in the space where Bub's/El Pescador were. Opened today.

Li He, who is helping her uncle, Xiu Pan, open Happy Grill at 2810 E. Washington Ave., in the former home of Bub's Burger Joint, said she hopes to have the new Mexican restaurant open by today.

Besides Mexican food, the restaurant will also offer a "teriyaki grill," she said. Pan has a Chinese restaurant in New Jersey, she said.

Before Bub's, the location was the highly regarded Mexican restaurant El Pescador.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainme ... 002e0.html

I believe it was Li who was handing out menus near work today, which threw me for a loop, as she works at Jade Garden.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Happy Grill

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 am

Finally made it in. If you'd been to Bub's, you will recognize the layout and decor. Very little has changed.

What can I say? It was good, even very good, but not quite great, Mexican food. There are definitely some interesting items on the menu, e.g. salmon (!) and the aforementioned teriyaki dishes, but my S.O. and I stuck to the basics: a chicken burrito and chicken and steak tacos dorados. The burrito was certainly not of the as-big-as-your-head variety, but a reasonable portion. We appreciated that. The meats were chopped/diced and seemed more suitable for a stir fry than tacos, especially the steak, which had a peppery taste to it. Not bad, but a bit strange.

Chips and salsa were pretty darn good. Rice and beans were solid. I enjoyed the horchata quite a bit. Will try the champurrado next time!

Service was friendly and quick, but we were one of two tables in there.

All in all I'm thrilled to see Mexican food return to the east side. It won't keep us away from the other spots in town, but the proximity is hard to beat. Oh, and they deliver. I just hope they can find success in that location.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 am

There was a mexican place in that spot before Bub's wasn't there?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 am

TAsunder wrote:There was a mexican place in that spot before Bub's wasn't there?

No. There were *two* Mexican places there before Bub's.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Coplay » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 am

I'd like a good restaurant to succeed in this space but Happy Grill is not it. I tried a chicken torte, a hurache and the pazole soup. All were pedestrian at best. I saved some of the pazole for a Mexican friend who has been a chef most of his life. He laughed out loud and dismissed it. Hope it gets better.
Coplay

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews