MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

LaRocca's moving to Oregon

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: LaRocca's moving to Oregon

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 am

I mention decor because in recent years people who open restaurants here, at every price level, have been putting good thought and care into interior design. La Rocca's Willy Street neighbor Chris Berge has been an exemplar. Compare, also, Roman Candle, which opened not long before La Rocca's did. Good design can be an important component of a dining experience, of just about any experience. It's another way for a restaurateur to be competitive.

rabble wrote:What's bad about a drop ceiling?

It's ugly?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I mention decor because in recent years people who open restaurants here, at every price level, have been putting good thought and care into interior design.

Sorry, Ken, but I have to strongly disagree with you here-- not from a visual point of view, but based on sound levels.

I've harped on this before, but nearly every new/rennovated restaurant I've visited has tall ceilings, hard surfaces, and exposed ductwork, which makes for really, really loud ambiance. I cannot take any older relatives to these places because they can't hear what others at the table are saying.

And sorry, while I love the Weary, it's a prime example of this issue.

La Rocca's, while maybe not pretty to look at, is at least an option when I've got company that would like to have a conversation without shouting.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:39 pm

ilikebeans wrote:And sorry, while I love the Weary, it's a prime example of this issue.

What I've observed about the Weary is that the room is loud when the music is loud. Makes everyone yell.

My restaurant noise pet peeve is cooks who blast music in the kitchen that's louder than the music the restaurant is playing for the customers. It's like a moiré pattern for the ears.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
rabble wrote:What's bad about a drop ceiling?

It's ugly?

It is?

Like I said, we've eaten there maybe a half dozen times and never once did I think "my god what an ugly ceiling!"

I must have looked up at it at least once. I think.

I agree about the Weary being noisy, although it has quiet spots. I have trouble with background noise. Almost any table seat in the front room has problems with that but in the back room it's a lot better and the booths for larger groups are great.

Course now that I think about it, haven't been there when they had music.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm

I don't mean live music, necessarily. I was thinking of the house music.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews