MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

WIS-TEX BBQ

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

WIS-TEX BBQ

Postby john_titor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 pm

620 Nygaard Street, Stoughton, WI 53589-5416
(608) 205-6201 ‎

As read by me, this guy had a place in TX, moved up here, saved his bills, and opened the place without having to take out a loan.

The Connect Stoughton has a write up:http://www.connectstoughton.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=3751&TM=83504.29

I have been there twice for lunch. OK Corral decor. Friendly waitstaff.

The first time I had the pork sandwich which was decent and chili as a side. The second time I had the beef brisket and chili as a side. The brisket was shredded versus sliced. Shredding freaks some people out, but it makes one hell of a sandwich. Nice smoke. I added the on table BBQ sauce to both. Good stuff. Around $9-10 bucks a sandwich and side I think.

It is a large place, and potentially hard to support. Like every other small guy out there, I would like to see him do well.

edit: Sign says WIS-TEX. Corrected title of thread.
Last edited by john_titor on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WI-Tex BBQ

Postby indycoyote » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:09 pm

His name isn't Pete, by chance, is it?;)
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Hmm. That was my first thought as well but the article says his name is Matt Melton. Will have to check this place out.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Very interesting, I will check it out for sure! Thanks for the heads up! More info on the location, it previously housed Bella Roma, as well as (one of the) Marsalla's locations. Big restaurant, lots of room.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Went there a couple weeks ago. Tried the ribs, turkey, and brisket. The ribs were OK, the turkey better, and the brisket was the best I've ever had (sorry PPP). Also, the fried portobello mushroom appetizer was great. Yum. Nice friendly waitress too.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WIS-TEX BBQ

Postby dave esmond » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 pm

I wish it was Pete. That was some good BBQ.

I had the turkey breast and ribs. Sides of something, honestly I can't remember exactly what and it's only been a month.

Which is my main problem. Nothing to remember. Sides were bland. Very. If it was beans I've had better out of the can.

Turkey was fine but I got almost no smoke flavor. Ribs again were fine, but bland and not very smokey.

Waitstaff was very good. Service was fast and professional. Drinks were very well made.

I want them to make it as I love the idea of having a bbq place in town. I'll go back and try the brisket, as it seems to get good reviews.

I like my bbq smokey and spicy so it just may not be the place for me.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Went to get the brisket for lunch today and was met with an un-plowed parking lot and a sign on the door, too far to see from my car. :(

What a weird corridor. So many places out of business.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

WIS-TEX BBQ - Location, location, location

Postby kulgar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:50 pm

You have to be an awesome restaurant or the only one for 30 miles to make it without location. You could live in Stoughton and not go down Nygaard. Laz Bistro is at the other end of town and has a great varied cuisine and specializes in ribs (Kansas City style ribs, probably changed their advertising in response to the threat from Wis-Tex (this town ain't big enough for the both of us, Wis-Tex)). But be warned, last time I was there two years ago you needed reservations at 5:30 on a Thursday.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: WIS-TEX BBQ - location, location, location

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Agreed on all your points, kulgar. I'm starting to think Stoughton is not even big enough for two decent pizza places. Marsala's being the first (longest-existing) pizza place in business, although in (3?) different locations. Not a native Stoughton person speaking, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Another pizza place gave it shot where the current Marsala's is on Main St. now: St Louis Pizza
& More. It was different. Decent, but a very different sauce.
That was back when St. Louis style was hitting Madison.
Remember the place that was there after Cloud 9 and before the Great Dane East opened? Anyway, sorry for spinning that into a pizza threadjack, it was not my intention, though I do it really often.
I must like pizza or something.

Back to the Laz: http://lazbistro.com/index.html

Not open on Sunday and Monday nights. I meant to write that before this evening, but...

Not dissing the food (it is good, I've been a few times), but my favorite thing about the Laz is the bar. I'm a sucker for art deco. Other great art deco in Madison: the Bellini bar and Francesca's al Lago. If you like art deco and haven't been to Francesca's al Lago,
it's worth it, although a chain with restaurants in AZ, IL, and SC,
the food is solid and their use of the space is impressive. It had been vacant for a long while, I think it was an MG&E building back in the day. Again, more info appreciated ... along with any other art deco sightings in Madison.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 am

I grew up in Stoughton...

Marsala's is still going? Fabulous, I delivered pizza for them in the mid/late eighties.

I still remember hanging out with the grandfather, Vito was his name if I am not mistaken, they were at the corner by the old railway station. That was a very nice family, and Vito was a great character.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 am

Marsala's is in its third spot and still (seemingly) going strong.

kulgar wrote:You have to be an awesome restaurant or the only one for 30 miles to make it without location.

I agree to both.

I will say that the suburbs that belt the southern portion of our fair city are completely under-served in terms of restaurants worth going to. A lot of people don't want to drive to Madison. I have been to some truly dreadful, over-priced restaurants that were packed on a Friday/Saturday night, due to being one of the few places in town.

The worst part of it is an Olive Garden would make a killing in his spot.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:10 pm

kissyfish wrote:I still remember hanging out with the grandfather, Vito was his name if I am not mistaken, they were at the corner by the old railway station. That was a very nice family, and Vito was a great character.

Thanks for the history, kissyfish! The name alone, Vito Marsala, cool. The pizza across the street at the movie theater is pretty good too, a little thicker. The thing about Marsala's, the food is always consistent. The location, not so much.
john_titor wrote:The worst part of it is an Olive Garden would make a killing in his spot.

Oh my gosh, please don't say that! Seriously.

And there's also a second, very large vacant restaurant mere blocks away. Remember the short-lived Broux House at 800 Nygaard St?
http://www.restainohomes.com/homes/1638088-800_Nygaard_St-Stoughton-WI-53589 Who bought that?

Maybe it's the street itself, tucked back so far.
kulgar wrote:You could live in Stoughton and not go down Nygaard.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm

I saw a "help wanted" sign on the old Broux place. Looks as if someone is going to have another go.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Marsala

Postby kulgar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:50 pm

I may have my Stoughton history wrong, I can remember when Tomas Ballesta had Tio Pepe's in Stoughton and that was way too many bottles of chianti ago. But didn't Vito LaRocca and family of Willy St LaRocca's, which is now in the process of moving to Hwy 138 in south Oregon, originally create Marsala in Stoughton? He was born in Sicily and if you were 18 probably seemed like an ancient grandfather at 45 years old.

Francesca's used to be a JC Penny but Urban Land ripped that block down and I think Francesca's is the first use of that space in the rebuilt (I admit with some style, taste and sense of proportion) block.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for the corrections and filling in some gaps, kulgar!

I like the name Vito LaRocca a lot too.

Isthmus, please keep us posted when LaRocca's opens in Oregon.

The family that owns Cafe La Bellitalia on Madison's east side is very nice as well. Just thought I'd put that out there. :D
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews