MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Kadushin Phallacy

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

The Kadushin Phallacy

Postby kulgar » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Wasabi sushi rice: grainy, individual kernels of rice. Each stands a bit on its own: possibly drier when put in the cooker, possibly less water or time. I have no clue, but it’s different than most. This is a transitional time of year for rice, the end of the 2010 crop and the introduction of the 2011. It’s a LOT harder than I ever thought to produce consistently. I’ll have to try Wasabi again.

Sushi Muramoto rice: a continuum of little maggots of rice stuck together a bit. More what I’m used to from living in Japan. It’s not the same every time you are there.

But I still strongly maintain it’s the protein. Not the rice, the vinegar or the wasabi strength or proportion.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: The Kadushin Phallacy

Postby NullDevice » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:16 pm

I've always considered it to be sort of holistic. You need a good protein, of course, and you need skill to select it, cut it right, etc, but you need good rice and the right amount thereof. But also what constitutes "good rice" seems highly subjective. I've had "good rice" that was very vinegary, I've had "good rice" that was barely seasoned at all.

I'll say, though, that I'm used to moister rice.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews