MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Gyros, Burrito, and Ribs

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Gyros, Burrito, and Ribs

Postby john_titor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Twigz2011 wrote:As far as burrito's go, I'm partial to La Guanajuatence at 1218 Midvale, just off the Beltline. I believe it's been reviewed on here before. I hate that I always get the same thing, but I love the carnitas burrito and haven't gotten past that on the menu.

The first and last words out of your mouth should be salsa bar. Unbelievable. I had seven distinct unique salsas for my burrito. This is how it should be done. I could eat beans and rice as long as I could get to the salsa.

I had the burrrito. Carnitas being a weekend thing, I opted for steak. I was savvy enough to steer clear of beans but you didn't tell me they put rice in there. Kind of sloppy presentation, but THE SALSA BAR IS UNBELIEVABLE! I'll be back.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kovalic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:46 pm

On Thursdays, the BBQ cart on the Square does great ribs - big, meaty, smoky and juicy.

Their brisket and pork sandwiches are also great - and only $5.50!
Kovalic

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Best gyro goes to Campus Biryani on Regent (their falafel is tops too). Don't go if you're averse to vaguely dingy hole-in-the-wall establishments with somewhat surly service. It's all about the food at this joint.

Burritos? I love 'em and there are great ones all over town. I don't get into this conversation anymore because it always devolves into inane patter about what is and isn't "authentic" Mexican food and whether or not rice has any place in a burrito. But seriously, if you can't find a great burrito in this town, you're not even looking. I will say this: If you're sort who finds the chain burrito joints acceptable (I generally don't, though Panchero's is alright) do yourself a favor and hit Habanero's on Stoughton Road. For six bucks you'll get a monster burrito with the quality ingredients of your choice. Their chicken is chopped instead of shredded, but this place destroys all that chain crap in town.

Ribs? Still lookin'. Was saying just the other day how much I miss Porky Pine Pete's. Somehow I knew that place was doomed from the start. I hate it when I'm right about that shit.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:28 pm

I've given up (for the time being) in finding good ribs in this town. Here is my recipe (courtesy of a cook book) for an excellent dry rub:

Jerk Ribs

2 T dried minced onion
4 tsp ground thyme
1 T sugar
1 T onion powder
2 tsp salt
2 tps ground allspice
2 tps black pepper
1 T ground red pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cimmamon

I substitute ground habanero (first cousin of the Scotch bonnet) for the ground red pepper.

Rub on both sides of two half racks of baby backs. Grill indirectly with charcoal and hickory chips for at least a couple hours.

Yummy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Kovalic wrote:On Thursdays, the BBQ cart on the Square does great ribs - big, meaty, smoky and juicy.

Mean Scenester wrote:Best gyro goes to Campus Biryani on Regent...
Burritos? I love 'em and there are great ones all over town. I don't get into this conversation anymore because it always devolves into inane patter about what is and isn't "authentic" Mexican food and whether or not rice has any place in a burrito. But seriously, if you can't find a great burrito in this town, you're not even looking.

I am not so much worried about authentic. I just don't like rice or beans in a burrito. Also, there are a lot of really lame burritos in this town.

It is going to be hard for me to get down Regent, but I will try it. I have heard good things about the BBQ on the square. Another hard one to drive to, but on my radar. Thank you both.

Random: I liked The Isthmus' recent article on favorite dishes. I have been to Papa Bear's but have not had TBP's suggested hotlink sandwich, even though he has promoted it here. Another destination.

I also liked whoever did that profile on Nicole(sp?) and Madison A-Z. Hats off to you Nicole for the project and product! What an awesome idea.
I would love to see a thread here on favorite dishes, but I am sure it has already been done.

Mr. Vilas; go down to the basement, push aside the fondue pot and get the slow cooker out. I am telling you, a slow-braised, dry rubbed rib is hard to beat. The key is not to cook it falling off the bone.

p.s. Save draft? I am no longer hip to phpBB :(
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:04 pm

For the second time, I've gone to Gyro House during normal business hours and found it locked up tight.

Rabble sad.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Best gyro goes to Campus Biryani on Regent (their falafel is tops too). Don't go if you're averse to vaguely dingy hole-in-the-wall establishments with somewhat surly service. It's all about the food at this joint.

I *love* the food from this joint, and yes, the owner does seem surly. But that is just his moody affect, he is a wonderful guy that I have gotten to be friends with.
The chicken tandori sandwhich is every bit the equal of the gyros.
Try the indian dishes, I like the spinach and chick pea thingy.

I would say the ambiance of the place is the Al Qaeeda Cafe. I mean, al Jazeera blaring on the TV all day long, there are often Pakistani & middle eastern guys speaking in native tongue.
Saeed, the owner, is actually the sweetest guy you'd ever want to know. When I got injured and couldn't go out for a period, he brought free food over to my house!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:24 pm

I went to Gyros House earlier this summer and noticed it had changed hands. Oh well. I am very much interested in Campus Biryani and will have to figure out a way to take a long lunch.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 pm

What time does Biryani open? I went there today about 11:30 and it was closed. Okay maybe it was 11:27.

I'm beginning to think those gyros places see me comin.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:26 pm

rabble wrote:What time does Biryani open? I went there today about 11:30 and it was closed. Okay maybe it was 11:27.

In theory, he is open from 11 am until 10 PM, every day of the week, every day of the year, every day for the remainder of his life.
Since he is an army of one and he runs furtive errands during the day, it is possible to meet with disappointment rather than a gyro. Noon to 3 he's always there, and after 5:30.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm

I tried again today. And he was open.

And it was, indeed, the best gyro I've had in a long, long time.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Dang, today was really my only day to go and it is 1:00 already. Maybe I can get out there for a dinner soon, maybe take the kids. Don't let them close!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 pm

East Side Gyros update:
Dimitri's on East Wash: Gone. Sign on the door saying we're closed forever, thank you everyone.
Gyro House: Under new management as of a couple weeks ago. The gyro was okay but the fries, which were above average before, are below average now.

It's my fault. I only bought gyros from them a few times a month and some months I didn't buy any. I feel bad about it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kovalic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm

Best ribs I've had in town are from the Blowin' Smoke cart. They have them on Thursdays, I think.
Kovalic

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Love the burritos at Habanero's on Stoughton Rd. Across from Farm n Fleet.
Always fresh, authentic, and some serious heat, if that's what you're looking for.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews