MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Gyros, Burrito, and Ribs

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Gyros, Burrito, and Ribs

Postby john_titor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Taco wrote:I feel like you're missing the most important type of food here.

I have never liked hard shell tacos. I can appreciate a good ceviche tostada but eating a hard taco just falls apart. I also don't like how it is layered, so I will often end up with a bite of stupid lettuce. Soft shell flour tacos are good. Soft corn tacos, I am still trying to love.

I like burritos. You like food. Try the steak burrito no beans to go at La Hacienda. In and out in 5 minutes and I think they are open too late. Get one mild, one hot sauce and sour cream. Unwrap the top half of the burrito and bite off the head while sitting in your car. With the innards exposed, alternate hot sauces and sour cream as you eat your way down the burrito.

I have had better and looking for more. You are my only hope.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:52 am

john_titor wrote:I have never liked hard shell tacos. I can appreciate a good ceviche tostada but eating a hard taco just falls apart. I also don't like how it is layered, so I will often end up with a bite of stupid lettuce. Soft shell flour tacos are good. Soft corn tacos, I am still trying to love.

I like burritos. You like food. Try the steak burrito no beans to go at La Hacienda. In and out in 5 minutes and I think they are open too late. Get one mild, one hot sauce and sour cream. Unwrap the top half of the burrito and bite off the head while sitting in your car. With the innards exposed, alternate hot sauces and sour cream as you eat your way down the burrito.

I have had better and looking for more. You are my only hope.

Your food tastes are boring.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:47 am

gear-ohs

#1 Dimitri's
closest to my house
great sawbus
fries too beaucoup
possible bodega

#2 Trader Gus
usually stacked
reliably good

#3 Gyro House
love quickly turned to like after i started tasting the true beef jerkiness of their meat

Here's a snippet from Yelp:
"Gyro house is part of the Capitol Petro station that recently re-opened on East Wash (accross from the most abysmal Burger King in the world)."

So true. Poor poor Burger King.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:58 am

Gyro house is surprisingly good for being attached to a gas station. Peoples Bakery down the block is also good.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:28 pm

People's Bakery - another possible bodega
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Bodega?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Is there any local place with good ribs (smoked for hours over hickory with a great rub)? Porky Pine Petes as well as Big Mama and Uncle Fats are now long gone. I did read that Smoky Jon's won a national contest with their Cajun rub. Has anyone tried that?

With both DST and unseasonably warm weather arriving, I decided to DIY. Used a jerk dry rub recipe and got some meaty but fatty pork back ribs. Two hours indirect heat on a big (and very old) Weber charcoal grill. Lots of hickory chips and lots of turning (two half racks). Drip pan with water (and more hickory chips) underneath.

Leftovers still great upon nuking.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:25 pm

rabble wrote:Bodega?

That comment confused me, too. A bodega is just a convenience store specializing in ethnic groceries -- you hear the term a lot in neighborhoods of New York City and other areas with significant Hispanic populations.
timby

Postby john_titor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Your food tastes are boring.

I dress nice though.

That rib link really has some good ideas on cooking them. My winter method of dry rub overnight followed up with crockpot for six hours and then a sauce and run under the broiler has me satisfied.

supaunknown wrote:gear-ohs...

Thank you for the ideas. I appreciated the reasons why. Exactly what I was looking for. I don't know what it is about Atlantis' meat, but it hits the spot. I wandered down E. Wash and hit People's after looking at Yelp. (Yelp is awesome for California). I got the Gyros platter. I'll have to try Gyro house next. Gus will have to be a special occasion.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm

rabble wrote:Bodega?

A term my friend (mis)uses (and I've since adopted) for any business that seems to stay financially afloat through magic or unadvertised specials. A front.

Estimate the number of baked goods "D'ohnut Shoppe" needs to sell each week versus their costs. If the math doesn't add up; bodega?

[voice comes out of nowhere] "εμώ! εμώ!"
[weakly] "λυγίσει?"
"You will go to the Bodega system."
"Bodega system?"
"There you will learn from Yιαούρτι, the πλοίαρχος γυροσκόπιο who instructed me."
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 am

We wanted gyros yesterday so I finally tried Gyro House. We liked it. You can't see the operation but the meat looked like it had been sliced off the spit, there was plenty of it, (no jerkiness about it at all, supa.) Sauce was good and the fries were above average. We'll be back.

I've been to People's Bakery many times. It's often empty but other times the takeout traffic has been steady and fast. I don't get the impression that they aren't making enough money to stay there. They do a pretty good gyro too, but I think not as good as gyro house. Which is fine because gyro house doesn't do donuts.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twigz2011 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 am

As far as burrito's go, I'm partial to La Guanajuatence at 1218 Midvale, just off the Beltline. I believe it's been reviewed on here before. I hate that I always get the same thing, but I love the carnitas burrito and haven't gotten past that on the menu.
Twigz2011

Postby john_titor » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks! I almost went to Gyro House today after reading yet another vote. Extra special thanks for the burrito recommendation. I drove past it this weekend and it made me remember I need to try it. Now, I'll have to move it up for potential places to go.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 pm

I went to the Gyro House for lunch today. One of the highlights of my week so far. An interesting experience to say the least. The food was good, fresh, and inexpensive. I would like to go back and try some of the other meats. You will get it to go.

Parking was weird. Being fat and hungry, I said screw it and parked in front of the door with the Gyro House lettering. I opened the door and it looked like they had gone out of business. Kind of odd, empty display cases and a sad sign announcing the gyros burger special.

Gyros, extra meat and fries. I liked it. I liked the pita - hot and fresh. I liked the meat. Some folk'll cut meat off the spit, then throw it on the flat top to heat it up. I find it is usually old to begin with, but that really dries it out. This meat was a thicker cut and juicy. I would however liked to have seen a bit more flavor (just my opinion). The tzatziki was a little thin (again, my opinion). A nice sandwich. The fries were good. Normally not a fan of battered fries, these were good. Lightly battered and made fresh just for me.

The woman and man working there were beautiful in every sense of the word.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:53 pm

john_titor wrote: I opened the door and it looked like they had gone out of business. Kind of odd, empty display cases and a sad sign announcing the gyros burger special.

My first impression too. She was sitting behind the empty display case so all I saw at first was empty stainless steel and some posters. They could do with a bit of sprucing up in that regard.

john_titor wrote: The woman and man working there were beautiful in every sense of the word.

I only saw the woman but she was very nice once we figured out that they weren't closed and I wasn't looking for the rest room.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews