MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bison Jack's

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Bison Jack's

Postby Remember_Me » Sun May 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Just went again. Probably a half dozen visits under my belt there now since they opened.

Staff: Always friendly and anxious to make sure you're happy. Wanted oregano one time and the new girl said she didn't think they had any. Another employee heard my request and despite not having any upfront he went to the back and found some in the kitchen for me. And this even though he was helping someone else. He smiled while sprinkling and said to tell him when. Good stuff.

Last time we went we just ordered the dogs ala carte. On our tray at the register was 2 sides of fries (so good) and 2 cups for soft drinks. I indicated we hadn't ordered the combos and he apologized and only charged us for the dogs and told us to enjoy the fries and drinks.

Food: Always fresh, hot, and really tasty for such a lean type of meat. Tons of great protein. The bun choices should accommodate most and the toppings selection is quite ample. You could go every day for a month and have a new experience each time. The fries, again, not even really "fries", they're baked with just the right crispness and seasoning to them. And they give you a pile of 'em.

Value: I don't think we've ever spent more than $15 to stuff the both of us... and that's when we do choose the "combo" meals (fries & drink). There's no wait staff so no gratuity unless you choose to indulge the tip box. Tons O' Choices and you're just not going to spend a lot.

Bison is so good and such a great choice when it comes to high quality protein. Still not sure if we're supposed to leave the trays at the table or put them by the garbage. I've seen people do both. I'm also hoping they open a location on the eastside at some point. I'd go way more if they did.

Anyone been here before? Do you have a favorite yet? I've liked all my choices thus far but still feel like I have yet to find my fave.

But that's always a good sign.

Their website.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bison Jack's

Postby wallrock » Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 am

I've been five times or so. I do like the bison dogs and have always had a good experience with the food. I haven't really done the make-your-own route, just ordered the Chicago dogs. The chili is pretty decent too. The staff have usually been great though one time I overheard an employee dismissively recounting the whole Dark Squaw/PumperJack naming imbroglio to another customer while I was waiting to order. It was weird and off-putting.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon May 14, 2012 12:07 pm

I went once, shortly after they'd opened last year.

I had some variety of a chili dog with an order of their sweet potato tots (a rather puny order) and a drink.

It was $13.

A hot dog, some baked tots and a drink. $13.

The bison dog & chili was good, the tots were room temperature and mediocre (probably would have been better if I'd taken them up on their offer to toss 'em in butter & sugar/cinnamon, but that'd make them decidedly less healthy) and the drink was.... well, normal.

The staff was friendly and helpful, but I haven't been willing to spend that kind of money on a hot dog since that day - so, I haven't been back.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Petro wrote:The staff was friendly and helpful, but I haven't been willing to spend that kind of money on a hot dog since that day - so, I haven't been back.

Yeah, our first trip was right after they opened, some of the kids working seemed a bit frazzled and overwhelmed. The orders can be so complex there I figured they were undergoing quite a learning curve. Despite it all they were great though.

Did you get the chili on your dog or as it's own side?

Your dollar amount sounds high as I've had something similar that wasn't that much alone. I wonder if you were charged for both the topping and a side?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Did you get the chili on your dog or as it's own side?

It was one of their specialty dogs that came with the chili.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 pm

They had a Groupon last week so I went. Hubby got a cheesesteak that he said tasted better than the ones at Big Red's. I had the Sonora dog. The bun was great, really nicely baked and fluffy but still held up to all the stuff that was on it. The hot dog got a little buried though. It was good so I'll definitely be back. The Groupon was $8 for $16 of food and it covered everything (hubby had the combo with the baked fries which were good, I had the dog and a drink). Staff was super friendly although they seemed a bit bored since there weren't a lot of people there.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 am

Bison Jack's just raised the cost of their dogs to twenty bucks a piece. The manager doesn't understand why and it sounds like he's looking for a new job. Strange.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 am

It's Obamacare's fault.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 am

Adam Powell's been on this via Twitter since shortly after it started (on November 28 or 29). Seems that the operators of the restaurant and the property owners are in a bit of a tiff, and the restaurant wants to force the property owners to break lease. A negative PR campaign seems like a sloppy and self-defeating way to do it, but I guess that's one of many reasons why I'm not in PR.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 pm

They should put a $1 billion bison dog on the menu. They'd only need to sell one.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby altcountryman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:49 am

I procrastinated in using my Groupon, and now it looks like I'm hosed. I paid $8 for $16, but if a dog is really $20, then I'm at $12 for just a freaking dog.

And if the rumors are true that they're just riding out their lease this way because Greenway Station won't let them close (holding them to the contract that they signed) then it doesn't look like they'll fold and let us high-and-dry Grouponners get our $$ back.

Given the asshattery of what they're doing, I think I'm just going to eat the $8 instead of a bison dog.

I know, I'm whining about my eight bucks when people are losing their jobs. I know there's is a bigger deal here, and I hope everyone lands on their feet.
altcountryman

Postby workboy7 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Diggity's, the Chicago Style Hotdog joint located inside Pooley's Sports bar (5441 High Crossing Blvd, pooleysmadison.com) will gladly honor competitors coupons. Please call Joe at 268-3020 with any questions.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Definitely take advantage of Diggity's offer. Their dogs are just as good, although not quite as healthy. I'd be there more if it wasn't way on the other side of town.

I still don't understand why Bison Jack's thinks pricing yourself out of business counts as a good idea. No matter what they're losing customers and any good will you might have and I would hope that any other property owners that they are talking to are taking note of the stupid business decisions that Bison Jack's is making.
Athena
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews