MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Chain restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Chain restaurants

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Another reason to hate 'em .... The Worst Restaurants to Work For. Is there a national chain not mentioned?

Maybe Madmind will come back and defend them.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chain restaurants

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I read the report and it defintely reassures what I learned working for a local restaurant. There are a few conclusions I drew from this based on my experience:

1) The two factors to really pay attention to on this list are the non-tipped wages, and the sick-pay and healthcare. So many times I would go into work at this restaurant (which shall go un-named, I still need them as a reference), and a kitchen employee is working sick. This is because (despite signing a contract saying they wouldn't come in sick) they were told that if they could not find another employee to cover their shift, they would be fired. Well, no one else wants to cover a shift when you make $7.50/hr (not exaggerating). A couple of instances the employee regularly came in sick because they couldn't afford to go to a doctor to get checked out. Would you want to eat food made by this person? I didn't. Many days I would skip my free meal because I couldn't afford to get sick and have the same policy stuck on me.

2) Always, ALWAYS, tip your server the minimum 15%. I make that a minimum despite the service they provide, and give up to 30% if they treat me well. The fact that they make $2 and change per hour means they are relying on you, the customer, to pay them! Their employer is already short-changing them, they don't need you stiffing them as well. And believe me, if you don't tip, they will remember you next time. The origin of the word is from waaay back, when you didn't even get service until your money was on the table. T.I.P.S. To Insure Proper Service! They say the customer is always right, but that is just to humor you. So those of you who tip crappy, or don't tip for whatever reason, remember the cardinal rule of the food industry: "Don't mess with the people who make your food." This includes tipping.
seemunkyz

Postby timby » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:32 am

seemunkyz wrote:The origin of the word is from waaay back, when you didn't even get service until your money was on the table. T.I.P.S. To Insure Proper Service!

This is inaccurate, not to mention grammatically incorrect (the proper usage would be "ensure," as in to guarantee). The "to insure proper service" urban legend is a backronym. Usage of the phrase "tip," as in gratuity, dates back to the 1700s or so, and the usage is believed to stem from criminal slang -- in old England, thieves would "tip" each other, which was to pass something from one to the other.
timby

Postby seemunkyz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 pm

timby wrote:
seemunkyz wrote:The origin of the word is from waaay back, when you didn't even get service until your money was on the table. T.I.P.S. To Insure Proper Service!

This is inaccurate, not to mention grammatically incorrect (the proper usage would be "ensure," as in to guarantee). The "to insure proper service" urban legend is a backronym. Usage of the phrase "tip," as in gratuity, dates back to the 1700s or so, and the usage is believed to stem from criminal slang -- in old England, thieves would "tip" each other, which was to pass something from one to the other.

Somebody read wikipedia! While your information is theoretically more accurate, for the point of the thread (which you seem to have missed), I intentionally used the T.I.P.S. to emphasize the necessity of the custom. Would it convince you to leave a tip if you found out the word potentially originated from criminals? The whole point was that these people are underpaid, and that the tip left can directly impact your service.

So, professor, please next time save your corrections for something that actually matters to the point of the commentary.
seemunkyz

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 pm

How does a tip insure prompt service if it is given after the service has been rendered?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:How does a tip insure prompt service if it is given after the service has been rendered?

Ever go back to the same place a second time?
They'll remember you, also.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Jademan7 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:How does a tip insure prompt service if it is given after the service has been rendered?

If you get the same server.

BTW, my standard tip is 20%.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I've worked for tips: Sometimes you remember some people and sometimes you don't. Sometimes that's because of a tip (either small or large) and sometimes it's not. The notion that every server remembers every tip is goofy. Your behavior, rather than your tip, is much more likely to be remembered, based on personal experience and conversations with others.

Regardless, the issue being addressed in the article is how restaurants treat their employees, not how customers treat their servers.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people in this country routinely work when sick. And it's one of those things that ultimately -- and I think obviously -- decreases productivity and efficiency. And since sick employees inevitably spread their sickness to other workers, productivity and efficiency suffer longer than they would had one person simply skipped work for a few days. Any business that would crumble because an employee is out sick for a day or two has problems beyond their unfair sick day policy. On the flipside, if wages are so tight that missing even a single day spells financial disaster for an employee, that's a significant problem too.
The only job I ever quit in a huff was the janitorial gig I called in sick for two days in a row. On the second day, they demanded a note from a doctor, because obviously, if you're sick two days in a row, you need to go see a doctor, right? I told them this wasn't high school and where to send my last pay check.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Jademan7 wrote:

If you get the same server.

And with the rate of turnover in the service industry, that is far from guaranteed.

BTW, my standard tip is 20%.

Same here. My rock-bottom is 15 percent if the service was poor, and I go as high as 40 percent for an exemplary experience.
timby

Postby seemunkyz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Regardless, the issue being addressed in the article is how restaurants treat their employees, not how customers treat their servers.

Thanks for the great insight. You do make a good point that not everyone remembers every customer, but there are a lot of people who you do remember. In my younger days I used to be a delivery driver, and there were some households that it took much longer for me to get to because I knew I wasn't going to get tipped very well. I would intentionally wait for another order to come up that I could drop off first. A jerk move? Maybe, but so is giving me a $1 tip when I spent more than that just getting to your house and back in gas. There were the couple of times though that yes, I didn't remember that they stiffed me last time. But it didn't take much more than twice to make me remember. The other side of the same token though; if you gave me a great tip last time, and I do remember you, you are getting the best service I can provide.

You are also quite right that I got a little off topic, that this is more about the way that restaurants treat their employees. I was just saying that since the restaurant isn't taking care of them, we should by giving them proper tips.

By the way, I do really appreciate you replying in a respectful, intelligent way. There are some on here who just feel like attacking other people, istead of creating a conversation, heated or not.
seemunkyz

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews