MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Food cart raves

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Food cart raves

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Fortunately, I work within a block of three of the city's best food carts: Blowin' Smoke BBQ, Good Food, Santa Fe Trailer. I think FIB's is good, too, but I just never feel like having a hot dog for lunch.

As a result, I rarely venture out beyond that radius for my carryout lunch. Anybody have impressions of other Square area operations?

I've been thinking that a good use of B-Cycle for me would be to get to the Library Mall for that cart selection.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Food cart raves

Postby Detritus » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Surco, the Peruvian cart, has a messy lomo sandwich well worth the shower you may need after eating it.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Fish tacos at the Cafe Coasta Rica cart....delic.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36 am

FIB has the best Italian beef in town. Thinly sliced, flavorful meat with peppers and onions on a sturdy bun with a ladling of juice; the best lunch around. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 am

I could live off of the Banzo pita.

Their falafel rules. So do their chick pea flour based cheese curds. So happy that they occasionally park their cart at ESBA.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:10 pm

A second vote for Surco. It's the only time I've talked about my food for weeks. I see they are opening up a bricks and mortar place. I'll probably never go. I like the cart-mosphere.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Banzo is very solid, but I really miss the whole wheat pita. I finally tried Thai-rific today. Damn good Phad Thai. Puts Rising Sons to shame.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 pm

fennel wrote:Banzo is very solid, but I really miss the whole wheat pita.

According to Banzo's FB page, whole wheat pita is back!! Also, I could just order Surco's cilantro sauce as my drink...
LaughingGirl

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Hooray for the whole wheat pita!
BTW, re Cafe Costa Rica, their flavor seems to rely too much on on their great sauces, so it seems less well-rounded. That's a mild criticism, though. I'm a regular, and often they have exactly what I'm craving.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 am

Of all the years I've been eating at the carts, I'd have to say Surco is one of the best I've ever had. I would recommend going on Friday when they have their tilapia special. They can run out quick so you have to go by noon. Otherwise Banzo has some of the best falafel around. Thai-riffic is really good as well. The second time I went there I was going to get the pad thai again, but they were out. Opted for the curry dish and it was awesome. The Indonesian cart, Kakalima, is really good as well and probably the cheapest. $6 for any of their dishes. I think Cafe Costa Rica is good but overpriced. Jamerica serves up a boat load of jerk pork. Last time I got it there was enough for 3 meals.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews