MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
sweet corn sign
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Moroccan restaurant

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Moroccan restaurant

Postby Madresto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:24 pm

I love Moroccan food ,is there a moroccan restaurant in town? :?:
Madresto

Re: Moroccan restaurant

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Not that I am aware of. I would love to eat there. I think you should open one.

The last one was in an odd location on a beltline frontage road. It was difficult to see from the beltline.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby WendyInWisconsin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:11 am

Just read in today's State Journal that a new Moroccan restaurant will be opening on Jan 20th; aptly named Marakesh Restaurant. It will be housed in the old Shish Kabob Cafe (which closed), located at 5510 University Ave; can't wait!
WendyInWisconsin

Postby NullDevice » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm

So it appears to have been been open for a bit. Anyone tried it yet?
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Since my birthday is this month, I plan to go there for our monthly "Vilas" clan dinner. I'll post comments after that.

It got a good review from madison.com. I hope it's correct, as I miss the Shish Cafe. And I see the Shish's sister restaurant in Middleton, the Palmyra, has also closed.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm hoping to try Marakesh soon. I also greatly miss the Shish and Palmyra. Between those two closing and the loss of Tapas Rias the options in Middleton have been even more limited.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Speaking of Tapas Rias, I thought I read they plan to reopen on the west side of Madison. Anyone know anything more about that? TBP?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:08 pm

I'm excited. I love Moroccan food, and it's good to see a morrocan restaurant crop up, to replace Faouzi's. (good food, kind of lousy but apologetic service)

I was never lucky enough to have a good experience at Shish. I kept hearing how great it was and every time I'd go there something kind of appalling would happen. I'm hoping I have a better experience here.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm

The guy who owns Campus Biryani on Regent Street is from Morocco. The short-lived middle eastern restaurant on beltline near Seminole (which LargeMarge & nulldevice remember) was run by friends of his from Morocco. Neither of these facts are of much use to you. I wonder if it is same people who are reopening in Shish Cafe location.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 am

Had dinner at the Marrakesh last night with a party of six. Service was slow but friendly. Only two servers on. Ours said that business had started picking up since the review in the Sunday WSJ a couple weeks ago, but they didn't expect so many diners on a rainy Tuesday evening. Food was excellent. I had the seafood bastilla: scallops, shrimp and calimari in a phyllo dough pie. They have a wine list and bottled beer.

We'll be back.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ashley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 pm

I don't think I'll ever go here til I hear reviews that they have increased the number of servers. Tried going there on a Friday night, server warned us that if we had anywhere to go after dinner, we should go somewhere else because there were only 2 servers. Looked around and so many unhappy looking people and a couple said that they had seen four people walking out because fo the wait.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Cosmic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm

I dined at Marrakesh last Saturday night. They will not take reservations before 8PM, so my party arrived around 7 and waited about 10 minutes for a table. Once seated, it took about 1/2 hour to receive a menu or drink order, and that was only after flagging down a waiter. The party at the table next to us left, due to not receiving service. We ultimately waited about an hour & 1/2 for entrees. They DID provide complimentary soup for us, and a free dessert to compensate, and granted, the food was good--but they need to hire more staff apparently! If you are in a hurry, do NOT dine there!
Cosmic

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:31 am

Ashley wrote:I don't think I'll ever go here til I hear reviews that they have increased the number of servers. Tried going there on a Friday night, server warned us that if we had anywhere to go after dinner, we should go somewhere else because there were only 2 servers. Looked around and so many unhappy looking people and a couple said that they had seen four people walking out because fo the wait.

We left that night. I was thinking about staying, but then I looked at he faces of the people waiting. I also noticed how many people didn't have food. I am glad that they were honest with us. I will try again during the week.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 am

Here is the Isthmus review of the Marrakesh. Slow service was mentioned, as it will deter lunchtime diners who have a short break during their workday.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 pm

So I couldn't really tell from the review...is the menu heavy on the Morocco food (I know it has at least lamb tagine and b'stilla) or is it one of those restaurants that's got a lot of more general "middle eastern/Mediterranean" food and a few Moroccan specialties?

(It always disappoints me when I hear about a restaurant that supposedly specializes in some cuisine with a rich and broad culinary heritage, and I show up and find it basically serves a small handful of dishes and loads the menu up with stuff I can get at a half-dozen other places)
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews