MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Nile Restaurant

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Nile Restaurant

Postby babelfish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Anybody checked this place out? It is kind of hidden on Odana. I've been there a couple times and the food and service has been excellent.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/214/1587042 ... nt-Madison
babelfish

Re: Nile Restaurant

Postby msnflyer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 pm

Have been there a number of times, usually at lunch. The owner used to be the chef at Lulu's. According to the SO they have the best hummus.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby sadiekat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for the reiminder about this place- it's pretty out of the way and easy to overlook. I'm very fond of Bunky's hummus, I think theirs is the best in town. Too bad there's no witty way to propose a 'hummus-off'.
sadiekat

Postby floatingstick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:19 pm

We've dined at The Nile probably 10 times and haven't had a meal we weren't extremely satisfied with. Like the food better than similar restaurants we've tried lately in Milwaukee. The sorar is incredibly good. Definitely one of my favorite places in town.
floatingstick
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 am

We tried it last night based on the recommendations here. Excellent food and service! Thanks for the recommendation.

The server had a really charismatic voice. He could have talked us into ordering chalk. Fortunately everything we ordered was either good or excellent even when he was not hypnotizing us.

They start you off with pita and olive oil. The oil, however, has a really tasty mix of sesame seed, sumac, and thyme. We had to be careful not to drink it by the gallon.

My wife and I both got a variety of items and none were disappointing. The baba ghanouj was probably my favorite item, with the ever tasty lulu's style hummus right behind it.

Portions were large and we regretted ordering a basara appetizer, only because of the amount of food (it was in fact really delicious).

Like at Lulu's they spike the water with something that adds a little flavor. Orange blossom perhaps?

Really excited to have this nearby.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 am

TAsunder wrote:Like at Lulu's they spike the water with something that adds a little flavor. Orange blossom perhaps?
I believe it's rose water. It's really my one complaint about Nile, because...well...ewww. I like to drink a lot when I eat and that really puts a damper on my ability to do that. I usually just break down and order a soda, something I've been actively avoiding the last few years. But honestly, it's a very small complaint. I love Nile.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews