MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Freddy Valentine's-Spring Green

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Freddy Valentine's-Spring Green

Postby kimm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:50 pm

A new restaurant option for you APT, Taliesin, or orchard day-trippers from the outskirts. http://freddyvalentines.com/

I think it's probably the best option around the Spring Green area, though I also have soft spots for pizza, beer and service at The Shed, burgers at Traders, breakfast at the General Store, and the view and wings at the Riverside.

The good: Two visits for drinks and I'm very happy with the atmosphere and service. It was a wise choice to put something in like this when The Bank restaurant went out of business. The menu looks great. I've heard good things from others in town, but so far have only had drinks and wings during a football game. Another attempt at dining is on my agenda for the weekend.

The average: It won't overwhelm you with British beers, but hey, there's Old Speckled Hen on tap. There's also a good selection of Wisconsin beers on tap (the usual suspects-Lake Louie, Capital, Spotted Cow, Leinie's). Wine selection is average, but I was excited to see a Livermore, CA wine on the menu. It's one of my top three favorite U.S. wine regions.

The bad: Don't order the wings.
kimm
Forum Addict

Re: Freddy Valentine's-Spring Green

Postby LindsayNicole » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:50 pm

We'll be in SG this weekend, but I am having a heck of a time finding their hours on their website. They do lunch, right? Facebook says they do.

Re: wings, duly noted.
LindsayNicole

Postby kimm » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:25 am

Yep, I went in just after 1:00 a few weeks ago for drinks. Their website isn't useful for very much, is it?
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:35 am

Finally had dinner there on a really busy Saturday night.

Shepherd's Pie: " Locally raised beef, mushrooms and onions braised in Guinness stout gravy. Topped with garlic mashed potatoes and baked golden brown."
Good, but overpriced at $16. We were hoping for minced beef (since it clearly said it wasn't lamb). Mushrooms appeared to be canned. The gravy was very, very good and made up for those other minor disappointments.

Bistro Chicken: "Locally grown grilled chicken breast on seared cheddar polenta with garlic spinach and roasted cherry tomato sauce. (GF)" A delightful, ample dish that was well priced at $16. Mild tastes, but very, very nicely balanced and composed.

Too full for dessert. Our friends dined the next weekend and gave thumbs up to the huge Chicken Club (grilled or buttermilk fried chicken layered with Nueske’s bacon, lettuce, tomato and onion then dressed with homemade ranch on whole wheat nut bread) and the Spinach Mushroom Enchilladas (Sautéed local mushrooms and fresh spinach with muenster cheese. Covered in salsa verde and served with black beans and avocado cilantro salad. (GF), (V)) They loved their dishes. They ran out of the enchilladas by the time we dined at 7:30 pm, so obviously they are a hot item.

The website has improved.
http://freddyvalentines.com/about.php
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:24 pm

We went for a late lunch on Saturday. I had the Public Burger ("½ pound patty made with Neesvig's Angus ground beef topped with your choice of cheese, smoked Nueske's bacon, horseradish sauce, lettuce, tomato and red onion on Rick's Bakery burger bun") and my partner had the Portobello Wrap ("Fresh mushrooms, spinach, red onion and tomato with parmesan cheese and roasted garlic sauce wrapped in a tortilla"), only on a bun. Both were excellent. I ordered the soup, which was chicken tortilla, but ended up getting sweet potato fries instead. Fortunately, they were really good (not at all limp/soggy like at a lot of places), as were the regular fries.

The service could have been a bit more responsive, but the food and atmosphere made up for that.

We usually try to picnic at APT, but we'll definitely be back if we're out in that direction for something else.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews