MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Pizza delivery

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Pizza delivery

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 am

All right, I'm an ass.

All this time I've been bad-mouthing Falbo's I've been mistaking them for another joint altogether: Gumby's. Somehow my aging, addled brain just transposed the two names.

Gumby's is the awful shit. Falbo's, while I've never been a fan, is in another league, which is to say it actually passes for pizza.

My apologies to the pizzeria and patrons alike.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Reheating pizza

Postby kimm » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:37 pm

My newest, quickest method of reheating pizza:
Microwave slices for about 45 seconds. Just enough to take the chill off and start warming without getting overly hot & floppy. Throw slices in a warm skillet on the stovetop for about 3 minutes (ok, I've never timed it...just using a best guess). I use a large nonstick pan and it works like a charm every time.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

kimm wrote:My newest, quickest method of reheating pizza:
Microwave slices for about 45 seconds. Just enough to take the chill off and start warming without getting overly hot & floppy. Throw slices in a warm skillet on the stovetop for about 3 minutes (ok, I've never timed it...just using a best guess). I use a large nonstick pan and it works like a charm every time.

If I do reheat, it's in the toaster oven. More often then not I like to take it out, let it come to room temperature, and eat it like that. There is also this:

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Reheating pizza

Postby timby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 pm

kimm wrote:My newest, quickest method of reheating pizza:

To refine upon this method, heat in a covered skillet the entire time -- but do it on low. It'll take a while, but it's a solid method -- the skillet essentially acts as a stone for the pizza's crust, while the lid keeps the heat in, allowing the toppings to heat through.
timby

Re: Reheating pizza

Postby Detritus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Why in the world would you bother reheating pizza? Cold pizza is the breakfast of champions--especially at lunch time.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Huh - Glass Nickel has been my go-to for a while now (it doesn't hurt that the west side location is super close to my house and therefore delivers very quickly).

That being said, I'm always up for different food recommendations - are they significantly less awesome than these places you guys are talking about?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Well, I don't like Glass Nickel much at all. I dislike their crust and their sauce (their toppings are just fine... on a salad.)

In other words, if you like Glass Nickel pizza, you probably don't want to listen to me.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Well, I don't like Glass Nickel much at all. I dislike their crust and their sauce (their toppings are just fine... on a salad.)

Yeah, Glass Nickel is a Madison institution that I've never understood. My in-laws adore it, but to me the crust has always tasted like Styrofoam, and the sauce tastes like they just put crushed tomatoes on the pizza -- no spices or flavor whatsoever, just devastatingly bland.
timby

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Glass Nickel is a safe pinch hit at my house, although I agree with the criticism of the crust (as filling as it is). Has anyone tried their cracker crust option? I haven't yet.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:05 am

I had all but given up on Glass Nickel until we tried the cracker crust.
I highly recommend it- so much better than the cardboard crust.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boss302 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am

For Glass Nickel go with their Hot and Spicy Classic or Chunky Sauce. It's got a good flavor and the chunky a good texture. :twisted:
boss302

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 am

Huh - I will have to try that (as well as some of the suggestions y'all had mentioned).

They don't deliver, but I find the pizza at the Greenbush to be devastatingly delicious.

Also, I really dislike the pizza at Cafe Porta Alba and think it's very, very overrated.
Last edited by rrnate on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:25 am

Greenbush- best pizza in town.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shyguy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:13 pm

There've been other threads here that have discussed the best "Chicago" style pizza. That's my standard for pizza, thin crust Chicago-style.

The two best pizzas in Madison, IMHO, are Gino's on State St. and La Bellitalia on North Sherman. Both really very good, good ingredients, lots of ingredients. But, neither is really a delivery option for us.

Our go to for delivery is usually Rosati's east side. They do a pretty good job, usually nice and hot, good ingredients, nice flavor.

Back-up options are Glass Nickel, Rocky's thin crust which are okay,not great. Pizza Oven, passable.

Buck's we really like, especially the crust, but not a delivery option.
shyguy

Postby barreg » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Falbo's is my favorite thin-crust delivery pizza place on the West side. I used to be a Glass Nickel fan, until I tried Falbo's. However, I do get a craving for Glass Nickel's Fetalicous pizza every once in a while.
barreg

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews