MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Birthday specials?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Birthday specials?

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

I can have both things.

It's my motherfucking birthday, after all.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 am

I semi-secretly agree with you, "threadshitter."

I resent the fact that I have friends that expect me to show up at birthday events ready to hoot, holler and lobby for free drinks for them because it's their birthday. I also hate being invited to children's birthday parties. Even my nieces and nephews. At least there's cake.

I didn't even like that friend's threw me a surprise party twice for birthdays. Nice of them and all, but there was this expectation that I wanted to be the center of attention and then I felt responsible for making sure it was worth everyone's time to be there.

And now that I feel like a raving bitch for admitting that, I'll stop typing.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

I've always taken the day off on my birthday (coming up next week) so there is zero fuss made. I don't like any but my inner circle to celebrate the day with me; it feels uncomfortable and forced for coworkers to have to make a big deal about birthdays of people they may barely know. Discounts or freebies, though? Heck yeah, load me up on those!
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am

Now that I'm not a poor college student, my theory is that if it's a restaurant I'd normally find appealing, I'll take their free dessert, etc. If it's not a place I'd normally go, I'm not going just because stuff is free (e.g., Nitty Gritty).
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 pm

If I overheard the server at Buck and Badger correctly today, birthday celebrants get a bracelet on their birthday for free drinks all that day.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Come to Pooley's for your eastside birthday...they offer free tap beer and Diggity's (the restaurant inside of Pooley's) will buy you free food....
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Not sure how claiming free food you like is some kind of self-absorbed "look at me" scenario.

You order your food, as you always do, when the bill comes, you give them your free food coupon, and pay the tip on your bill.

There's no trumpets or choirs involved, and no jumping up on tables screaming for attention.

Pretty weak contribution on your part.
AndyMatts

Postby AndyMatts » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:05 pm

And, just like that, a message from the gods. Flat Top emails me my 1/2 birthday free stir fry.

And, yeah, I'm going to be that half-birthday attention whore that we all hate when I redeem it.
AndyMatts

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews