MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Specialty Coffee in Madison

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Specialty Coffee in Madison

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:14 pm

I've also heard that it is difficult, if not impossible, to hear the crack of the beans over the noise of air poppers. My amateur roasting relies on sound as much, or more than, anything else.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:18 pm

Best coffee I've ever had is Alto Grande:

http://www.puertoricocoffeeshop.com/Alt ... offee.html

Sadly, I've only ever found it in Puerto Rico (my in-laws down there think I'm nuts when I load a suitcase with the stuff for the return trip home). It's a long shot, but if anyone knows of a local source for this stuff, I'd love to know about it.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:21 pm

I'll check out Just Coffee next month and Kickapoo while out and about this spring. Thanks!
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 am

3 x the caffeine

Decent flavor

http://versanto.com/index.html

I was a barista before Starbucks started calling theirs.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Learned a lot at the Just Coffee cupping last weekend. I'd recommend anyone that hasn't done an actual cupping before to check them out.

In related news, I just started reading Coffee Review online and several Johnson Bros. coffees are on their 94+ rating list. Nicely done, JB!
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:43 pm

kimm wrote:Learned a lot at the Just Coffee cupping last weekend. I'd recommend anyone that hasn't done an actual cupping before to check them out.

Do they do the cupping before or after applying the leeches? I know authorities differ on that point.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

So I wasn't sure what cupping was and looked it up. Can I ask what the point of this is? Is it supposed to refine your pallet? The whole sipping then spitting out(like with wine tastings) is something I'll just never get. You do these things at a tasting, but when it comes to the real world, are you really going to "slurp" the liquid up quick so you can coat your tongue. Just drink the shit already. If you like the taste great, if not, great.

I did find this amusing from Wikipedia.

Aromas[2]

Animal-like - This odour descriptor is somewhat reminiscent of the smell of animals. It is not a fragrant aroma like musk but has the characteristic odour of wet fur, sweat, leather, hides or urine. It is not necessarily considered as a negative attribute but is generally used to describe strong notes.

But it's not necessarily considered negative? If some douche bag is going to tell me my drink is good because it smells like sweat and urine, I'm gonna tell them to go fuck themselves.

Sorry, don't mean to be a dick. I drink quite a bit of coffee and I like good coffee, but I don't need someone telling me it's so good because of it's woody, earthy, grassy, fruity aroma and taste.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Fair enough to inquire. I'm interested because I wanted to figure out exactly what flavors I like best in coffee so I can search out those coffees. Plus it makes me appreicate the depth possible in coffee and spend a little more time savoring a good cup. There was nobody tell us what was "good" or "right." Plus it's an exercise in understanding how elevation, soil, temperatures, processing, etc. influence flavors.

Maybe someday I'll care what kind of weeds the goats were eating when I'm eating my cheese. *shrug*
kimm
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews