MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Fried Chicken

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fried Chicken

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:40 am

I have a co-worker who moved here from the south. He is in search of good fried chicken in town and all I came across on the forum was a plug for Melly Mel's http://www.thedailypage.com/theguide/ve ... =Melly-Mel. Are there other options out there? JJ's on E. Wash just recently closed and they were the only other place I could think of.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fried Chicken

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 am

While I can't recommend personally, I've heard about Harold's Chicken Shack (Gammon) and Mad Towne Fried Chicken (Park St).

Personally, I prefer the juicy goodness of broasted chicken. Fitzgerald's serves it up on their buffet (all-you-can-eat). Also, South Bay Lounge had a broaster, but I've never tried it there.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 pm

jman111 wrote:Personally, I prefer the juicy goodness of broasted chicken. Fitzgerald's serves it up on their buffet (all-you-can-eat). Also, South Bay Lounge had a broaster, but I've never tried it there.

Sweet. I've never found broasted chicken here. Thanks for the tip.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Esquire Club on N. Sherman has a good fried chicken dinner special on Sundays. For around $8 you get 1/2 a chicken, mashed potatoes/dressing/gravy (seems like homemade), coleslaw and bread.

They have "Southern Fried Chicken" on the weeknight dinner menu for $15. I have never had that and not sure if the same thing, but I would recommend Sunday for the great deal.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 pm

My first pass at Harold's was not impressive, but a second trip was spectacular. Take the signage at face value; your order will take a while. Call ahead or be prepared to wait.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Never did make it to the Madison Harold's, but Harold's was a staple of my college days in Chicago. YUM.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 pm

I finally made it to Melle Mel's a couple weeks ago, and if your friend wants the soul food sides as well as the fried chicken, then they have to go to Mel's. It was worth the effort, and I am looking to go back for breakfast some time for catfish and grits. Mel greeted me as I came in as a new friend, teased me that all the chicken was already eaten, then gave me a quick version of her history. Nice folks, family business, delicious, unique offerings, this is the kind of place I like to recommend.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Titan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Check out the Thursday special, broaster chicken at Market Street Diner in Sun Prairie. It's delish.
Titan

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm

Titan wrote:Check out the Thursday special, broaster chicken at Market Street Diner in Sun Prairie. It's delish.

I've heard it resembles ass in it's purest form.

If you respond I'll maybe, just maybe, reconsider.
Last edited by Remember_Me on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juice » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:17 pm

I'd also like to put up a challenge to defend Esquire Club's chicken. I suspect if you're like most the clientele, flavor isn't a large concern here, but the $8 deal does sound like a steal. The time I had it I would have much rather spent $15 on KFC.

edit: While I'm plugging chain fast foods, mightaswell throw Popeye's in the mix. They have a deal on Tuesdays I believe, half price on all chicken or something like that. Man I need to indulge in that guilty pleasure again.
juice

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:33 pm

acereraser wrote:I finally made it to Melle Mel's a couple weeks ago, and if your friend wants the soul food sides as well as the fried chicken, then they have to go to Mel's. It was worth the effort, and I am looking to go back for breakfast some time for catfish and grits. Mel greeted me as I came in as a new friend, teased me that all the chicken was already eaten, then gave me a quick version of her history. Nice folks, family business, delicious, unique offerings, this is the kind of place I like to recommend.

I just had lunch there. The tab for two people for chicken plus two sides plus a slice of delicious sweet potato pie was under $18. And the food was tasty!
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews