MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Fire at Taqueria Guadalajara

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Fire at Taqueria Guadalajara

Postby massimo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm

The GF and I ate there the night before, around 8pm. It was very busy, as usual. One thing that struck me was the temperature of the rear dining room. It had to be above 85, it was positively tropical. I sat in a chair right next to a heating vent, and the furnace did not turn off the entire time we were there. Did the furnace blow up overnight? Probably not, but it wouldn't shock me.

The tamales were, as always, fantastic. My GF's chimi was also very good, but a touch on the over-fried side. Now, was the temp of the oil too high? Is the deep fryer the culprit? Nah, not likely.

With tip, the total was just under $20. I noticed that the charge remained pending on my credit card, and today dropped off entirely. Looks like I got a free meal out of the fire! Really, though, I hope they can come back from this, and I will gladly pay up the next time I visit.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm

massimo wrote:Did the furnace blow up overnight?
Nope. A pot left on the stove melted and started the fire.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/Pot-lef ... index.html
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:24 am

snoqueen wrote:googlemap

That's a Google crime map of Madison. South Park Street looks OK to me clear down to the creek. I find the Taqueria neighborhood interesting and pleasant in the daytime -- haven't been over that way at night for a long time.

Is it?

It looks to me like it's places deal with crime in Madison. MPD stations, State Patrol stations, etc.

I agree with your point, but that map doesn't show what you think it does.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 pm

I think you're right. I was having trouble making a link that wasn't time-sensitive, and I pulled up a bunch of different maps before I got anything I thought would work. Sorry -- but along with you, I believe the original point about distribution of crimes in the area was valid.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think you're right. I was having trouble making a link that wasn't time-sensitive, and I pulled up a bunch of different maps before I got anything I thought would work. Sorry -- but along with you, I believe the original point about distribution of crimes in the area was valid.

You could always try this Trulia map.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Okay, I'll ask. Where are those sites getting their data? Is there an all inclusive feed somewhere? Because that list on the MPD site is not.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am

Tamales.....
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Now that this topic is totally derailed, where is the police crime map located? You used to be able to pull up a custom google map from the police department, if I am not mistaken, that showed different colored markers for the various types of crime reported in Madison over a particular week (or other period of time). Where did that thing go?

It wasn't a list, and it wasn't on Trulia, though I like the way that one is formatted. That one's for realtors to show people who are checking out a neighborhood.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nichole » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Under the "Crime Stats" tab on the MPD page of the city website, there's a link to CrimeReports.com - through here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/crimestats/acceptTerms.cfm

Is that it?
nichole

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 pm

nichole wrote:Under the "Crime Stats" tab on the MPD page of the city website, there's a link to CrimeReports.com - through here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/crimestats/acceptTerms.cfm

Is that it?

That's the one, but it's screwed up. All it shows is sex offender crimes. Not that those aren't worthy of noting, but they don't show any other crimes.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Based on those results I'm guessing MPD has stopped feeding crimereports.com. The sex offender data is probably coming from the feds.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Every time I've been here for lunch it's filled with hospital workers, construction workers, and campus folks with all categories and ranges of colors. Just remember this: the food is good, real, and very reasonably priced. Never had bad service there and they are quick to refill salsa and chips. I've never felt unsafe whether outside the building or inside. Finding a good parking space is annoying but that's just par for the course for that area of Madison. I like their renovated back room the best.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:Link

That's a Google crime map of Madison. South Park Street looks OK to me clear down to the creek. I find the Taqueria neighborhood interesting and pleasant in the daytime -- haven't been over that way at night for a long time.

The neighborhood in the immediate vicinity is decidedly middle to upper middle class. The lower rent areas are farther to the south.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 am

Announced earlier on Facebook:
Good news! We will soon start remodeling and hope to be open for business summer 2013!

Just moved to the bay creek neighborhood last week from the east side. Love it so far, our block is very quiet, almost jarringly so compared to where we were. Good luck TG!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood! You'll have fun watching Park St. progress and getting acquainted with the shops.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews