MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Familiar name to open restaurant at Mildred's old address

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Familiar name to open restaurant at Mildred's old address

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 am

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/d ... 963f4.html

Joe Tachovsky, a longtime restaurateur who ran a popular King Street restaurant in the 1980s that he tweaked and moved to Minneapolis, is behind a future Johnson Street spot where Mildred’s used to be.

The Spot at 827 E. Johnson St. will be “a neighborhood kind of restaurant that serves good food,” he said.
In addition to opening and running Samba Brazilian Grill for a while, in the mid-1980s Tachovsky had Porto Bananas on King Street in the space that later became the little Village Café.

Porto Bananas was before my time in this fair city, so I hope all y'alls that have been talking it up wistfully on DPF aren't raising my expectations unduly. [shakes fist menacingly]
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Familiar name to open restaurant at Mildred's old addres

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 am

I'm glad they are not planning to serve bad food.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:37 am

Mildreds will be missed, but I think most of the folks in the hood understand that it just can't exist as it was without Nels.

Our mini business district on the corner of Paterson and Johnson is holding out hope the "New" Mildreds becomes a staple of the neighborhood.

And just a shameless plug for one of our local businesses that I love and don't want to see going away. Madtown pizza next to the Johnson street Public House has an awesome "Round Slice" personal pizza that is a killer deal for lunch and dinner. They're like $4.50 after tax and well worth it. Please don't let another walkable pizza place go away in Tenney Lapham.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:15 am

Porto Bananas had excellent food but lasted only a short time. I don't have a good memory for food details (no foodie here) but I remember eating there and liking it regularly when I was downtown. I think there was some fish sandwich or taco thing on the menu with a tropical inflection.

I had the feeling at the time that the owner got bored after a while and sold the business to someone else, which could have been not quite accurate. With any luck this time he's older and more ready to make a commitment and stay on Johnson Street. I agree -- my old 'hood needs the stability. It's always been an incubator for food businesses that relocated elsewhere. In the way way-back, the very first iteration of Miles Teddywedgers was in that same block. (Maybe late 70s?)

Maybe they can figure out some way to make the Mildred's building more accessible -- is there a way people could enter from the back? The front steps are impossible for anybody in a wheelchair.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:22 pm

LOVED Porto Bananas. The far end of King Street seemed like another country to me back when I lived w-a-a-a-y over off the other side of the Square on North Carroll, but Porto Bananas was always worth the hike.

Their window diorama was a thing of beauty.

Didn't Blunt work there?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 pm

I often wonder about how well the old Madison restaurants that a lot of us recall fondly would stack up against what's out around here now.

I think an updated version of Bananas fits perfectly in that exact spot, but would be out of place on 2013 King Street.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:41 pm

I think Porto Bananas would stack up fine, even if downmarket. And I'd happily trade any restaurant on King Street to have the Gila Monster back.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:03 am

Ducatista wrote:Their window diorama was a thing of beauty.

As well as the sign. "It's not real Mexican food, but we aren't real Mexicans".
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 am

And I think just below that sign, another said "wipe your damn feet". I remember the food being similar to Pasqual's. comfortable and filling.

I took a first date there and the employees were hilarious, but she didn't get their humor. Or any humor really. So I took her to the Barbers Closet to hopefully loosen up a bit. After grabbing one of the cozy little nooks she informed me that she was on antibiotics and couldn't drink. I just wanted to sneak away and go back to the fun people on King St.

Ducatista wrote:And I'd happily trade any restaurant on King Street to have the Gila Monster back

I'll second that and raise you two gastro-pubs for the Barbers Closet.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Human » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm

If "The Spot" is as good as Porto Bananas was, I might stop pining for Mildred's.

Maybe.
Human

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews