MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Light Drizzle Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Free H20, That Will Be $1

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:01 pm

¢

Windows:

Alt + 0162
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 pm

I like the Apple ¢ better, less keystrokes. Plus, I don't do Windows, just windows on occasion. Especially when the dog has done his nose art on them.

Back to the topic, don't waste water even if you pay only 50¢ per glass.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Went to Dotty's with some co-workers and one asked for water. The waitress said it was a dollar because of water awareness week...

That was the extent of our lecture. I'm guessing you didn't go out and are just spewing douchebaggery about the subject.

Sorry I confused you, but I didn't mean a literal 50 minute discourse on the subject from a dais. I meant that I don't like to be lectured, in the figurative sense, about something that I'm already well aware of by somebody who evidently just started caring.

You have to understand that lots of people find that kind of thing off putting and annoying. I am one of those people.

I have lots of issues that I care deeply about too, but that's not why I go to restaurants. How would that server feel if I insisted that, instead of money, he give me 5 minutes of his time to hear my take on municipal bonding? I'm just trying to raise his awareness. Obviously that has nothing to do with why he's at the restaurant and why we're interacting, but what kind of an asshole would bristle at awareness building? Muni loans are obviously the superior option and he needs to know that whether he wants to or not!
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't think the municipal bonds analogy really works, unless the waiter had asked to buy financial products from you anyway.

It's not like they just randomly buttonholed you and told you that water is scarce, right? You asked for water, and so they gave a brief explanation of why water isn't free.

In this society, charging for stuff is the main way we ration scarce resources. Obviously, in this case, the price is more about educating/propagandizing (however you prefer to look at it) rather than straightforward rationing, but the general principle of having to pay for water makes sense.

Also, obviously, reducing the amount of table water consumed in restaurants isn't going to have a huge impact on per-capita water usage in Wisconsin. One could debate whether it's better to try to educate the general public, or to work behind the scenes to make water use more efficient in industry, agriculture, appliances, etc.

But ... really, it's not that big a deal anyway, is it? You seem to have taken this interaction with your waiter as an insult. It probably wasn't meant that way. In general, life runs more smoothly when we don't get angry at stuff unnecessarily.

(Easy for me to say that, but hard for me to accept that when it's something that's pissing me off.... :? )
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm

In closing, the irony of the people grandstanding about how they hate the restaurants' grandstanding should not be lost on any of us.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

kurt_w wrote:I don't think the municipal bonds analogy really works, unless the waiter had asked to buy financial products from you anyway.

Okay, GMO crops then, some of which I’m sure make their way into every kitchen in town in some form or another. Am I entitled to raise his awareness while he’s just trying to do his job now? If not, then why would Tory Miller be entitled to raise my awareness when I’m just looking for dinner?

I don’t actually care. I have no problem saying no when I want to say no. But it’s pretty silly to suggest that the only reason a person might be annoyed by this tactic is because he or she is an “unenlightened,” “perpetually offended,” “jerk who hates charity.”
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 pm

rrnate wrote:In closing, the irony of the people grandstanding about how they hate the restaurants' grandstanding should not be lost on any of us.

I'm sorry, I figured you were here to read the thoughts and ideas of other people. Were you really just looking for a bite to eat?
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Ninja wrote:Am I entitled to raise his awareness while he’s just trying to do his job now? If not, then why would Tory Miller be entitled to raise my awareness when I’m just looking for dinner?

So bring it up with Tory, and don't get all pissy with someone who may not like the situation any more than you do. You'd be like the guy, the last time I stayed in a hotel, yelling at the desk person because he wasn't happy with the hotel pool hours. What the hell is that person supposed to do? It seemed very much that the patron was getting off on his position of power over the employee, and it made my stomach crawl.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 pm

massimo wrote:the last time I stayed in a hotel...

Neat hotel story, but what the fuck are you talking about? I haven't seen anyone here suggest being an asshole to a server who's just doing his job.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Ninja wrote: I haven't seen anyone here suggest being an asshole to a server who's just doing his job.

That's odd. I have. I wonder how you missed it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 pm

can we go back to the part...where people who think we have an infinite amount of clean water are goddamn idiots?
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 pm

rabble wrote:
Ninja wrote: I haven't seen anyone here suggest being an asshole to a server who's just doing his job.

That's odd. I have. I wonder how you missed it.

You're obviously familiar with how the quote function works. Why don't you go ahead and quote an example of what you're talking about. Raise my awareness.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 am

Ninja wrote:Raise my awareness.

What a suprise. An awerness builder appears to have lost interest and moved on to the next cause.

That's a shame, because I was really hoping to be educated on respecting servers by some clueless, sanctimonious douchebag who only pretends to care about things for as long as it permits him to feel superior and talk shit to strangers. Guess I'll have to wait til dinner to have an experience like that.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:38 am

Ninja wrote:
Ninja wrote:Raise my awareness.

What a suprise. An awerness builder appears to have lost interest and moved on to the next cause.

That's a shame, because I was really hoping to be educated on respecting servers by some clueless, sanctimonious douchebag who only pretends to care about things for as long as it permits him to feel superior and talk shit to strangers. Guess I'll have to wait til dinner to have an experience like that.

I am so PWNED.

You've demonstrated how not to be an asshole so effectively that I have no idea how to respond except to salute you in your victory
Last edited by rabble on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 am

For the record, I'm a better person because of this thread being started.

If I had been blindsided (while eating out) with a charge for ice water, the response may not have polite nor respectful. (Get a lil' grumpy when hungry, ya know). Hearing about this ahead of time and understanding the reasoning behind it made it much better for all involved then it might've been had I been surprised by it while ordering.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews