MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Alterra vs. Ancora

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Alterra vs. Ancora

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Just Coffee and Ancora combine roasting operations

The new relationship between Just Coffee and Ancora is more of "an alliance," says Earley, that lets both companies -- which remain separate -- do what they do best. Just Coffee, having outgrown its digs at 1129 E. Wilson St. on the near east side, needed a bigger roasting facility. Ancora, with a large roasting facility at 3701 Orin Rd. (just off Stoughton Road near Madison College-Truax), was "not roasting enough to justify that space," says Earley.

The elephant in the room is Milwaukee-based Alterra, whose new Tenney Plaza cafe a half-block from Ancora's flagship King Street cafe opened April 5 and has been buzzing ever since.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Can't cut it off there...

Still, the idea that Alterra is now a subsidiary of Mars, the third-largest privately held company in the United States, persists. (A Mars company logo on Alterra's web page doesn't help counter this perception.)

Both Just Coffee's Earley and Ancora's Walzer see Alterra as a company that is closer to a Starbucks than it is to their definition of local, but ultimately feel that the quality of their product and its 100% fair-trade sourcing give them a boost.

I've not fallen for Alterra, neither the coffee nor the ambience of the cafe.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:Can't cut it off there...

Trying to not give away the milk for free is all.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 pm

I have an Alterra practically in my backyard. With an in house bake house. Where they make everything from scratch and have the key ingredients locally sourced where ever possible. The roastery is a 20 minute bike ride away. Local enough for me, which makes me think it has more to do with the branding rights. I have never heard anything about Mars owning Alterra, and Milwaukeeans can be almost as pious as Madisonians about their local brands. Almost.
TeachInPeace

Postby Stebben84 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 am

jjoyce wrote:Can't cut it off there...

Still, the idea that Alterra is now a subsidiary of Mars, the third-largest privately held company in the United States, persists. (A Mars company logo on Alterra's web page doesn't help counter this perception.)

Both Just Coffee's Earley and Ancora's Walzer see Alterra as a company that is closer to a Starbucks than it is to their definition of local, but ultimately feel that the quality of their product and its 100% fair-trade sourcing give them a boost.

I've not fallen for Alterra, neither the coffee nor the ambience of the cafe.

Alterra Coffee Roasters Inc. is selling its global distribution rights to Mars, a move that allows the Milwaukee firm to boost its brand recognition while remaining locally owned.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/91848249.html

Just because Mars bought the rights to sell their coffee doesn't mean they are no longer locally owned and operated. I think it's disingenuous to compare them to Starbucks.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 am

Really? Can't all coffee shops be compared to Starbuck's? I know the difference between a neighborhood shop and a corporate shop... so why is it disingenuous to say it out loud?

I like coffee shops that aren't always trying to upsell or get me to join their loyalty programs. They're places where the person ringing me up is interested in making sure I get what I want as opposed to getting more cash or information out of me. My lukewarm attitude toward Alterra has less to do with their corporate deals than the experience of actually walking in there.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 am

jjoyce wrote:I like coffee shops that aren't always trying to upsell or get me to join their loyalty programs. They're places where the person ringing me up is interested in making sure I get what I want as opposed to getting more cash or information out of me.

Is that what they're doing at the Madison Alterra? I haven't been to this one yet, but I've been to a couple different ones in MKE numerous times and I've never had that experience.

jjoyce wrote:Really? Can't all coffee shops be compared to Starbuck's? I know the difference between a neighborhood shop and a corporate shop... so why is it disingenuous to say it out loud?

Starbucks is the largest coffeehouse company in the world, with 20,891 stores in 62 countries, including 13,279 in the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbucks

Alterra has 11, so yes, I stand by comparing them as disingenuous.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Alterra is dropping Mars for their marketing and changing its name to Colectivo.

Ancora is still Ancora, at least as far as I know.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lee B » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Ancora is Just Coffee now.

Tru Coffee Roasters is closer to the old Ancora and in my opinion WAY better.
Lee B

Postby mytwocents » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 am

Lee B wrote:Ancora is Just Coffee now.

Tru Coffee Roasters is closer to the old Ancora and in my opinion WAY better.

Actually they are still two entirely separate entities, they have just combined roasting operations in the same facility. Just Coffee moved into the Ancora Roastery off of Orin Rd. in May, and since then both brands coffees have been roasted there under the same master roaster original to Ancora, Casey Blanche. Both Ancora and Just Coffee are still separate and locally owned.
mytwocents

Postby baked goods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:40 am

Id choose Bradburys or Johnson St Public House any day over these two wanabe local corporate chains.
baked goods

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:28 am

baked goods wrote:Id choose Bradburys or Johnson St Public House any day over these two wanabe local corporate chains.

Well, considering neither of those businesses get coffee roasted "locally" then I'm not sure what you're getting at. Plus Just Coffee is a Coop located right here in Madison.

Welcome to the forum.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lee B » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:35 pm

mytwocents wrote:Actually they are still two entirely separate entities, they have just combined roasting operations in the same facility. Just Coffee moved into the Ancora Roastery off of Orin Rd. in May, and since then both brands coffees have been roasted there under the same master roaster original to Ancora, Casey Blanche. Both Ancora and Just Coffee are still separate and locally owned.

Wrong. Casey Blanche is not the original Master Roaster of Ancora. He used to be the Director. The Master Roaster was Scott Pederson. He left Ancora for True Coffee Roasters.

My opinion that True Coffee Roasters is the closest thing to the "original" Ancora stands.

Your assertion that Just Coffee and Ancora are not the same coffee is ridiculous. They are roasted in the same building by the same person but they are not the same. Uh ok, what ever you say bro.

Just Coffee was just too inconsistent a roaster before and I haven't had it recently. The hand writing was on the wall the months leading prior to the mass exodus of quality staff at Ancora. I just can't imagine the marriage of the two is producing a decent progeny, but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are a lot of coffee drinkers out there that can't tell the difference.
Lee B

Postby Lee B » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:40 pm

baked goods wrote:Id choose Bradburys or Johnson St Public House any day over these two wanabe local corporate chains.

Bradbury's and JSP are not roasters, they are just coffeehouses. They buy their coffee from other roasters.

Last I looked, Bradbury's uses Kickapoo Coffee and JSP rotates roasters and has featured Kickapoo and Inteligensia. I hate Johnson Street so it won't be until I have to buy a gift at Burnies that I will give JSP the time of day. Bradbury's barista staff is too widely skilled. If you aren't a regular and know the barista and his/her level of skill, your drink at Bradbury's will be hit or miss. JSP takes more time with it's barista staff, go there instead but be careful. Johnson Street sucks.
Lee B

Postby donges » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Lee B wrote:Johnson Street sucks.

In what way?
donges
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews