MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Alterra vs. Ancora

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Alterra vs. Ancora

Postby Lee B » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:24 pm

donges wrote:
Lee B wrote:Johnson Street sucks.

In what way?

In almost every way. But if I were to pick the top two reasons Johnson Street sucks it would have to be violent crime and lethal traffic accidents. Too many people I know have been raped, mugged, robbed, assaulted and killed on Johnson Street. It's a vortex of Madison that just plain sucks.
Lee B

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:27 pm

Lee B wrote:Too many people I know have been raped, mugged, robbed, assaulted and killed on Johnson Street.

I really hope you meant or, not and.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lee B » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:48 pm

jman111 wrote:I really hope you meant or, not and.

Yes, of course! Thank you kindly for the grammar correction!

Incidentally, the original owner of Supreme Pizza was killed on his bicycle right in front of Johnson Public House.
Lee B

Postby Bretley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 am

Incidentally, the original owner of Supreme Pizza was killed on his bicycle right in front of Johnson Public House.

Or, another way of saying that (without somehow needing to drag JPH into it) would be, "the accident occurred right in front of Supreme Pizza", as the buildings are quite literally next door.

Returning to the topic - I had a coffee from Alterra last weekend while at the Farmer's Market - there was a line but it moved quickly. The coffee itself seemed a bit weak IMO.
Bretley

Postby Lee B » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:31 am

Bretley wrote:(without somehow needing to drag JPH into it) would be, "the accident occurred right in front of Supreme Pizza", as the buildings are quite literally next door.

Returning to the topic -

Uh, dude, I was addressing a question why I hate E. Johnson in a coffee related thread. It was totally on topic.

I'll never understand why cyclists use E. Johnson for any reason.

Anyway....

One other local roaster I would like to give more attention to is Johnson Brothers (not related to E. Johnson or JPH). They are small and struggling but have a better product than Just Coffee(again IMHO). I think Manna Cafe has it. Any other coffeeshops you know of that serve J-Bro's? Today I will try to find some and get back to you.
Lee B

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Bretley wrote:

Or, another way of saying that (without somehow needing to drag JPH into it) would be, "the accident occurred right in front of Supreme Pizza", as the buildings are quite literally next door.

As I remember, the original owner of Supreme Pizza was on his bicycle because he had lost his license for drunk driving. And, as I remember, he had been drinking the night of the accident as well. I'm not sure I would blame the neighborhood for either of those factors.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Not for nothing, but this snippet of a 10/12/00 WSJ story seems to give the lie to the main thrust of your recollection, Lee B.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-66017914.html

Supreme Pizza, 912 E. Johnson St., has been closed for two weeks following the death of the restaurant's owner, David P. Wilson, who was killed riding his bicycle late at night on East Washington Avenue.

Side note to a thread jack: how tacky is that article, even in its abbreviated form?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mytwocents » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Lee B wrote:
mytwocents wrote:Actually they are still two entirely separate entities, they have just combined roasting operations in the same facility. Just Coffee moved into the Ancora Roastery off of Orin Rd. in May, and since then both brands coffees have been roasted there under the same master roaster original to Ancora, Casey Blanche. Both Ancora and Just Coffee are still separate and locally owned.

Wrong. Casey Blanche is not the original Master Roaster of Ancora. He used to be the Director. The Master Roaster was Scott Pederson. He left Ancora for True Coffee Roasters.

My opinion that True Coffee Roasters is the closest thing to the "original" Ancora stands.

Your assertion that Just Coffee and Ancora are not the same coffee is ridiculous. They are roasted in the same building by the same person but they are not the same. Uh ok, what ever you say bro.

Just Coffee was just too inconsistent a roaster before and I haven't had it recently. The hand writing was on the wall the months leading prior to the mass exodus of quality staff at Ancora. I just can't imagine the marriage of the two is producing a decent progeny, but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are a lot of coffee drinkers out there that can't tell the difference.

Aren't you just a bundle of happiness Lee B? Someone didn't have enough coffee today. Sorry for the misuse of original in that sentence. What I was trying to say, was that Casey Blanche, previously only Ancora's roaster, now roasts for both companies.

The two coffee co's coffees are roasted on two completely different roasters, with different roasting techniques, creating two different coffee profiles, so yes Lee B. they are DIFFERENT. Scott P. was not the original coffee roaster for Ancora, the owner George Krug was, so once again, maybe you should check your facts my friend.

ALSO, I am not a "bro". I am a girl. Gasp, yes girls can be coffee nerds too :)
mytwocents

Postby Lee B » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 pm

The two coffee co's coffees are roasted on two completely different roasters, with different roasting techniques, creating two different coffee profiles, so yes Lee B. they are DIFFERENT. Scott P. was not the original coffee roaster for Ancora, the owner George Krug was, so once again, maybe you should check your facts my friend.

There are TWO roasters inside the old skating rink on Hwy 51 now? I will have to fact check that. Last time I visited, there was only one.

LOL George Krug couldn't roast a bean out of a paper bag.
Lee B

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews