MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

JB's Eat-A-Bite BBQ

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

JB's Eat-A-Bite BBQ

Postby john_titor » Thu May 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I had heard of JB's and had driven past it on Park on more than one occasion. It had been on my list of places to try. Seeing Mr. Darlington's review* gave me the push.

I liked what I had. I thought the flavors were well understood and expressed. They get salt.

Jambalaya last week at Lilliana's started the crave cycle and seeing the positive review, it is what I ordered. I liked it. Not heavy, served over rice versus baked in. Chicken chunks, shrimp, sausage nice tomato. The food was remarkable. Not crazy, the best I ever had, but done well enough that I thought it was good and tasty. I don't experience that all that often on my budget.

What made me want to post as soon as I could about this place was the staff. The tableau if I may ...

Pull up soon after getting off beltline at the 7-11. The sun is shining and lots of people out and about. I walk into the store as a customer in front of me pays for his food

Cashier: ...have you been here before?...Oh did you come because of The Isthmus article? (and yes she put a "The" in front)

Customer: What's that? I'm from Florida

Cashier: Some newspaper...(turns to person off stage - Right?)

Offstage: Right a newspaper...

I stop listening at this point and look around. Ham hocks, greens, mac and cheese special 7 bucks I think. It would be easy to make a meal out of sides. I put in my Jambalaya order and sit down to wait. The man waiting for his food looks at the sign showing desserts and makes a series of inquiries as to their claim of the food being better than sex. They had fun with that for about five minutes.

Soon enters a man who asks how I am doing and then immediately affected a three block radius. If a child ever asks you to define charisma, take that child to meet this man.

JB had a bit of work to do and once finished came back to say hi. While I was waiting for my food he offered some beans and rice. A small sample, but it was delicious. Nice heat, smoke, bits of some sort of sausage. Then came more. He brought out greens that were delicious. And topped them with a well balanced home made hot sauce. Not too hot. Sealed the deal on the greens, but I do like my vinegar. Then he asked me if I had read the article in The (yup he did too) Isthmus. I said I had. The okra was good. I spaced and for some reason thought it was going to be deep fried. It was more of a ratatouille. I liked it and it was not slimy. I would get it again. Then he had me try his yams. I like this man.

While all of this was going on, it seemed half the block came by to say hi. He is that impactful.

Most places the staff has had enough of the average food, that they rightly are not passionate about it being the best. Everyone at JB's thinks it is the best soul/southern food. And in Madison it is.

*http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=39884
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: JB's Eat-A-Bite BBQ

Postby Bbqking » Fri May 17, 2013 11:32 am

Nice write up. But how was the Jambalaya? How did it compare to Lilliana's or NOTO? Tempted to order, but in 10 plus trips to JB's, I have never seen the Jambalaya ordered....makes me wonder.

Rib tips, mac and cheese, and yams are my go to items at JB's, yet to be disappointed.
Bbqking

Postby Ashley » Mon May 20, 2013 11:25 am

Having trouble envisioning where it's located. In strip mall next to Walgreens?
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Ashley wrote:Having trouble envisioning where it's located. In strip mall next to Walgreens?

Attached to the 7-Eleven (formerly Open Pantry).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Bbqking wrote:But how was the Jambalaya? How did it compare to Lilliana's or NOTO?

Rib tips, mac and cheese, and yams are my go to items at JB's, yet to be disappointed.

Outside of what I wrote above, it was decent and definitely worth the money. I was trying to identify the one note above all and I think it was thyme. Or maybe Gumbo file. I think thyme. I guess why I like Jambalaya is that everyone has a different style. I think his is unique.

I really like Lilliana's Jambalaya. But his is $16. JB's is half of that.

I like hot things. I'll say it; NOTO's Jambalya is too damn hot. Terror1sts win!

Rib tips is too much chewing and spitting for my likes so I never order it. Am I eating it wrong? I could probably be happy with most any entree as long as I had those sides.

It would be fun to cater a dinner from Park St. take out.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Finally made it down to JB's last night and, sad to report, was not very impressed.

I had the pork ribs and while the meat was good, they were not falling-off-the-bone tender and the sauce was only so-so.
The cole slaw was tasteless and the mac and cheese was pretty standard. The muffin was hard and nearly inedible. The alligator bites were not very tasty either and seemed like pre-frozen. One of my companions had the jambalaya and was very disappointed, although I did not try it. The fries were the highlight of my meal. And while I didn't feel ripped off or anything, the portions were not very large (the whole meal, including a drink, cost me around $15.)

One of the fellas I was with had eaten take out from them once before and said it was better the first time -- but he also said that food had been cooked by JB himself, who was nowhere to be seen when we were there.

Would definitely give them another shot, but this is not the BBQ joint I was hoping for. God how I miss Porky Pine Pete's.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Damn just reading this thread makes me wanna fly down to Raleigh, rent a car and drive over to Goldsboro for lunch at Wilbers!

http://www.wilbersbarbecue.com/
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:02 am

Just don't get the brisket - I don't know if they were having an off-day, but I've had beef jerky that was easier to chew. Everything else has been tasty, but the brisket was a total let-down.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby chaostbl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Is JB's going under? Seems like they're always closed now when I go by it.
chaostbl

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:27 pm

I've been checking on it lately. I've seen the same unusual closure pattern, and the phone number is "temporarily disconnected" according to the phone company auto-message. Certainly doesn't look good.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:03 pm

They are closed. And my buddy's place too. The restaurant business is a tough row to hoe, even when your food is good. I wish you well JB.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews