MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Tutto Pasta Middleton closed

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Tutto Pasta Middleton closed

Postby Shorty » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Tutto Pasta Middleton is closed. Don't know if it's temporary or permanent but I fear the worst. I will miss them.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tutto Pasta Middleton closed

Postby fennel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Shorty wrote:Tutto Pasta Middleton is closed. Don't know if it's temporary or permanent but I fear the worst. I will miss them.
Really? I've only eaten once at the utterly repellent TP on State Street, and that did it for me. I get some sense the various locations vary in quality, but to me, that's all the more reason to steer clear.

Not so ancient proverb: Never eat at any restaurant of which there is more than one.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Middleton Tutto was much better than State St. The wrong one closed.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm surprised it didn't close long ago. I really like the interior of the building, but the food was not all that good.
barreg

Postby LindsayNicole » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:04 pm

I went to both locations (well, all three, before the one on King closed) and had mediocre-to-bad experiences every single time. But we kept going back, for whatever reason, until I finally said never again.

I'm not sad that TP has closed, but I am mildly surprised. If other Italian restaurants in downtown Madison can produce truly terrible food and still thrive, why couldn't Tutto make it in Middleton?
LindsayNicole

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:25 pm

TP on State St. qualifies for the worst meal I've ever had in Madison; however, it also has some of the nicest waitstaff in town. Maybe that's why folks keep going back? That and the chance to eat in a sardine can!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:30 pm

david cohen wrote:TP on State St. qualifies for the worst meal I've ever had in Madison

I would agree. The only way the Middleton location could be any better is if it had no associating with the St. Street location and a completely different menu.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:56 pm

barreg wrote:I'm surprised it didn't close long ago. I really like the interior of the building, but the food was not all that good.

Are there any Italian restaurants here in that price range ($10-$18) that are better than Tutto Pasta-Middleton was, especially on the West side? The only one I know of is Biaggi's which is comparable or slightly better. Biaggi's does good business so I don't know why Tutto didn't do better.

Likewise, I miss Bella Vita, another good Italian place on the West side. The good places close but crummy ones like Old Chicago and Olive Garden thrive.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Have you tried Piscasso's? It's at the corner of Verona Road and Williamsburg Way. Priced about the same as Biaggi's, but with better food (in my opinion).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I read the Tutto owner is moving to the West coast to open a restaurant there. On May 26 he told the workers here the place was closing in five days. That's not enough notice. What a jerk.

I last tried Picasso's about 5 yrs ago. Menu seemed mediocre and the atmosphere and neighborhood not good. If I remember right, it's in a run-down strip mall with just a gas station, convenience store, and one of those shady Pay Day loan stores.

I consider Picasso's one or two levels below the class of Biaggi's and Tutto, unless things have improved much there in 5 yrs. Even if it has improved, it's just not in a good location unless you live nearby. As a general rule, I avoid places outside the beltline.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Shorty wrote:I read the Tutto owner is moving to the West coast to open a restaurant there. On May 26 he told the workers here the place was closing in five days. That's not enough notice. What a jerk.
Well, I would say, "Good luck with that." (Unless the West coast means the Aleutian Islands.)
Shorty wrote:As a general rule, I avoid places outside the beltline.
Me, too. (So far.)

But Thai Basil set me straight in that regard.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Shorty wrote:Are there any Italian restaurants here in that price range ($10-$18) that are better than Tutto Pasta-Middleton was, especially on the West side?

Lombardino's on "Old" University is on the border of the West Side and Downtown, and it's still putting out what I consider to be very good Italian cuisine.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Lombardino's on "Old" University is on the border of the West Side and Downtown....
I would consider Breeze Terrace to be the western delimiter for downtown, though Randall may be a better choice. Are there any local historians who would like to comment? West of Breeze still seems mostly residential.

There certainly is a business corridor that was built out during the 60s-70s, but these were highways to other communities. Even today I wouldn't consider Lombardino's (or Smokey's, for example) to be near the downtown district.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:54 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Lombardino's [...] still putting out what I consider to be very good Italian cuisine.

I'll second Lombardino's, Slick Willy! I dined there last month with a friend and we had a great meal! It was the first time I tried the pizza there: bubbly crust makes Amy a happy girl!

For "Downtown" Italian cuisine, you can't go wrong at the Greenbush bar.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keysrawk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:31 am

Getting to the east side for decent Italian shouldn't be out of the question. Bellini's on E. Wash. or Cafe Bellitalia on Sherman. Honest Italians serving their dishes proudly. you may or may not like it, who knows, but how can we talk about shitty Biaggi and Tooto Paste?
keysrawk

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews