MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Tutto Pasta Middleton closed

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Tutto Pasta Middleton closed

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:15 am

keysrawk wrote:Getting to the east side for decent Italian shouldn't be out of the question. Bellini's on E. Wash. or Cafe Bellitalia on Sherman. Honest Italians serving their dishes proudly. you may or may not like it, who knows, but how can we talk about shitty Biaggi and Tooto Paste?

Cafe La Bellitalia is pretty good. I think people hype it up more than it deserves, but it's OK. The quaint ambiance is what people want, and it's owned by Italians, so it gets a pass on serving what I think is just very average Joe Italian fare.
Bellini's is a mixed bag. The ambiance is great, of course, and the quality of the food high, but it's just too expensive for what you get, in my opinion -- very small portions. I could share an appetizer, have an entree served with salad, and even get dessert and still just barely be satisfied, and I'm honestly not that big of an eater. Definitely goes above the $10 to $18/plate criteria that Shorty threw out there.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Yes Bellini's and Lombardino's are more than $10-$18. Bellini's and Cafe La Bellitalia are too far from the Far West side for me to go there except special occasions. Thanks for the suggestions though.

In that last two years the Far West side and Middleton have lost Blue Spoon, Bella Vita, Seafood center on Old Sauk, and now Tutto Pasta. Nothing has opened in any of those places. The good, affordable food options are dwindling.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Shorty wrote:Bellini's and Cafe La Bellitalia are too far from the Far West side for me to go there except special occasions.

Seriously? During non rush hour that's a twenty minute drive. If you want good food you have to explore the town. It's not that big.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 pm

And Cafe La Bellitalia has done quite well! Good food, good prices, reasonably authentic, the parking lot is rarely empty, and they send me a discount coupon every year for my birthday. How they got my birthday info, I'll never know, but it's a very welcoming place in our neighborhood.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:54 pm

But I still miss Josie's.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am

Vin Santo...I always forget it's there, so have only dined once. Good eats, reasonable prices ($14-20 for entrees).
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

kimm wrote:Vin Santo...I always forget it's there, so have only dined once. Good eats, reasonable prices ($14-20 for entrees).

Yes, Vin Santo. I took my father there for dinner earlier this year and it was spectacular. My plate of Fettuccini Amartricana ($18) was large enough for two meals, and I'm not at all ashamed to say second meal was breakfast the next morning.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Seriously? During non rush hour that's a twenty minute drive. If you want good food you have to explore the town. It's not that big.

I would leave for dinner in rush hour and I drive safely without speeding so would take me at least 30 mins each way. Too hectic.

I forgot about Vin Santo, will try that. It's a bit expensive but convenient.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nichole » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:32 am

There's still a lot of good variety around High Point and Old Sauk. Calasan, Eno Vino, Oliva, Pho Nam, Swagat, etc.
nichole

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am

fennel wrote:But Thai Basil set me straight in that regard.

Their website says they do carry out, delivery and catering. Do they have dine in service and if so, could they accommodate a party of six at one table?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 pm

nichole wrote:There's still a lot of good variety around High Point and Old Sauk. Calasan, Eno Vino, Oliva, Pho Nam, Swagat, etc.

I like Oliva and Eno Vino. Those others upset my stomach.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juice » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:59 pm

I thought we were only talking about good Italian eats here, seems to have gotten a little off track.

Anyways, I'll steer it back by throwing my hat in for Lombardino's. Whoever said they are out of the $10-18 range is a bit misinformed. Last time I went there I had spaghetti bolognese for $18. Date had salmon for something like $22, but it's worth the money. Would like to go for my third time to try a pizza, generally not more than $12, IIRC.
juice

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews