MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

recs needed for lower cost dining out options

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

recs needed for lower cost dining out options

Postby anaranjado » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:58 am

I know it is cheapest to eat at home, but we often don't have time or feel like cooking some nights. What are your ideas for reasonably priced, good meals at local restaurants?
I guess by reasonably priced, I would say $10 or less per person. One of my favorites is Francisco's Cantina. Really great food and surprisingly reasonably priced, given it's location (just off the square).
anaranjado

Re: recs needed for lower cost dining out options

Postby Bbqking » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 pm

New Orleans Takeout

Mon- Red beans and Rice $5.75, add double sausage for $2
Wed- Creole Meatballs w/ rice $8

Each dinner comes with choice of corn bread or french bread.
Bbqking

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:24 am

Of course, the first place that came to mind was Francisco's. We also go to Ian's when we are feeling both lazy and broke. Paul's Pelmeni is only $6.50 for a large plate. You must love dumplings because they are the only thing on the menu. I haven't been in a while, but my boyfriend like his burger from the City Bar. I believe that was under $10. I also think most of the burgers (including a homemade veggie burger) are under $10 at the Fountain. I love their sweet potato fries.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 am

Hi-Vee

Its Cheap and make sure you wear stretchy pants.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I've always done well at Ha Long Bay on Williamson, though I probably end up more toward $20 with tip because I start treating myself to the extras -- soup or appetizer, a drink, dessert (blueberry rangoon!). Everything has always been very tasty and totally worth it. If you stuck with noodle soup (they have good pho) or bun (Vietnamese rice noodle salad -- like a giant spring roll in a bowl instead of a wrapper) as your main course you'd wind up a dollar or so on either side of $10 with tip and feeling pretty satisfied.

Wong's Garden on Atwood is also a great value. Any time I buy a meal there I always figure I'm buying two meals -- sometimes I just bring my lunch container along with me to dinner. Their soups are great, their fried rice is the best I've had anywhere, and their deep fried dishes ("hong sue" or "sweet and sour" anything) are positively addictive. Just be ready to add soy sauce to taste because the kitchen tends toward a light hand when it comes to seasoning.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Bbqking wrote:New Orleans Takeout

Mon- Red beans and Rice $5.75, add double sausage for $2
Wed- Creole Meatballs w/ rice $8

Each dinner comes with choice of corn bread or french bread.

OK, I suppose. But to me, NOTOS is for an unabashed indulgence, not for a budget meal. I love their blackened catfish, jambalaya, shrimp etouffee or deb's shrimp. Their soups are a matter of personal taste (I can live without alligator stew) but most of them are glorious.

NOTOS food is moderately priced, not cheap, and much of their menu is a butter-drenched trip to the dark side. A serving of their delicious potato salad fills your weekly fat allowance. NOTOS should be pursued in the moment, when extremely extreme comfort food is a must - no waiting for Monday night to get a deal on beans & rice.

Sorry for losing my temper, I hope we can still be friends.
Last edited by Huckleby on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:31 pm

anaranjado wrote: I guess by reasonably priced, I would say $10 or less per person.

For dinner!? You are looking for unreasonably priced, or you eat like a bird.

I know of one place in town where you can get a good meal, pay taxes and tip, and come under $10. The Parkway Family Restaurant, just north of the beltline off Fish Hatchery Road. They have nightly specials that get better as the week goes along.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:32 pm

LargeMarge wrote: I haven't been in a while, but my boyfriend like his burger from the City Bar. I believe that was under $10. I also think most of the burgers (including a homemade veggie burger) are under $10 at the Fountain. I love their sweet potato fries.

Does any place in Madison charge more than ten bucks for a burger?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juice » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 pm

My last trip to Five Guys(hopefully ever), after tax, was $13-something. A double bacon cheeseburger and their smallest order of fries(which sucked). Could've done better for almost half the price at Culver's.

Not sure if we should count the chains though, so perhaps disregard this post.
juice

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
LargeMarge wrote: I haven't been in a while, but my boyfriend like his burger from the City Bar. I believe that was under $10. I also think most of the burgers (including a homemade veggie burger) are under $10 at the Fountain. I love their sweet potato fries.

Does any place in Madison charge more than ten bucks for a burger?

Yes. Many places these days. Generally foodie/hipster joints, but not exclusively.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews