MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

tipping

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

tipping

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm

I dearly wish the practice of tipping would go away. It amounts to a tax on decency. Why should people who are ethical have to subsidize the cheapskates?

Jillions more opinions:
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... not-to-tip
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: tipping

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm

I do, too. But we first need a well-regulated environment where employers acknowledge (and embrace) that they need to pick up the slack.

On the other hand, there was a kind of sweet spot during the 80s/90s where an ambitious service professional could blaze a trail, and possibly finance more potentially-lucrative career routes. It didn't go without doing some hard work and research, but there clearly was a market for professionals. (I don't know what the market is like today.)

The Rs seem to be fixated on blocking economic mobility, but it's not clear which of these models would best serve their fixation.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 pm

fennel wrote: On the other hand, there was a kind of sweet spot during the 80s/90s where an ambitious service professional could blaze a trail, and possibly finance more potentially-lucrative career routes.

To change the subject slightly, I think that in bigger cities, being a waiter is considered a real job that people take seriously; waitstaff can make a good living. In Madison, it's just survival money, and often the patrons and the workers themselves don't value the work.

I don't know if this is true, but people more worldly than myself have said so.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 am

Earlier this year I finally gave in and started carrying a tip card in my wallet.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 am

Huckleby wrote:I don't know if this is true, but people more worldly than myself have said so.
It is so, I think.

At the upper end of the spectrum in University towns, service tends to be overblown and almost campy.

There was a line in The Remains of the Day that described the ideal waiter as one who manifests the perfect balance between omnipresence and invisibility.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:56 am

Huckleby wrote:Why should people who are ethical have to subsidize the cheapskates?

Of course, this is a sentiment which extends far beyond tipping. All the way to Congress, in fact. "It's not my problem," seems to be growing into the law of the land.

Far from tipping going away, I'll be surprised if Congress doesn't find a way to lower the minimum salary for tipped workers.

fennel wrote:There was a line in The Remains of the Day that described the ideal waiter as one who manifests the perfect balance between omnipresence and invisibility.

I stayed at a hotel with a restaurant earlier this year, and filled out their corporate survey upon my return. I let them know the best part of my stay was my dinner server, who nailed this behavior perfectly: attentive without being obtrusive. She was so perfect, I left a 100% tip.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:36 am

fennel wrote: At the upper end of the spectrum in University towns, service tends to be overblown and almost campy.

I hadn't thought about this, but this is funny. There is sometimes a performance art aspect to Madison's finer establishments.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 am

It isn't just the finer establishments. At a brewpub the other day, one waiter's obsequiousness was so over the top that I almost came out and told him to knock it off. Too much attention can have as adverse an impact on a dining experience as not enough.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby psforsberg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am

Whether you like tipping or not, the fact is that the minimum wage for tipped employees is obscenely low at $2.33/hour and is not likely to change any time soon. There are a lot of people in this city who have to somehow make a living in the service industry and to me 18% for decent service and 20%+ for good service is a small price to pay.
psforsberg

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 pm

wack wack wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Why should people who are ethical have to subsidize the cheapskates?

Of course, this is a sentiment which extends far beyond tipping. All the way to Congress, in fact. "It's not my problem," seems to be growing into the law of the land.

Far from tipping going away, I'll be surprised if Congress doesn't find a way to lower the minimum salary for tipped workers.

Congress bows to ay organization called the NRA regardless of what the letters stand for.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:16 pm

I like tipping and I'm uncomfortable not being able to do it when I'm in countries where it's seen as rude or ungrateful. Tips from delivering pizza for Falbo Bros got me through college (well, loans got me through college, but tips kept me drunk for five years) so I also feel somewhat obligated to help other people in tipped positions now that I've got a little more money of my own. And it creates a different dynamic than in any other kind of customer interaction scenario given the possibility of greater reward based on conduct.

All that being said, it's absolutely ridiculous that we have a tiered minimum wage in this country. I want to be able to reward particularly good behavior, I don't want to get into a weird threeway customer/restaurant owner/server co-employment relationship with a couple of strangers. Employee compensation should be left entirely to the employer, and any gratuity is precisely that - gratuitous.

For what it's worth, I suspect that this minimum wage mess is an issue that's on DOL's radar and when they're done cleaning up the mess that we call internships it's going to get some attention. No specific reason for me to suspect that, but it seems like a natural follow-up to cracking down on unpaid/underpaid "internships."
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Speaking of Falbo's... when I last called to place a delivery order with credit card, the person taking my order gave me the total and then asked, "Would you like to add a tip to that?" I don't think I was required to at that moment (i.e. I could have waited to sign the slip upon delivery), but I hadn't heard this question before upon ordering and it threw me, so I said yes and added the standard 20-25%, can't remember for sure.

I was immediately overcome with remorse, knowing that I had removed all incentive for anyone to do a good job. Naturally, the pizza showed up just fine.

Still, not sure how I feel about the practice of adding tip before anybody has actually performed any service. I will probably just wait until delivery next time.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:42 pm

massimo wrote:I was immediately overcome with remorse, knowing that I had removed all incentive for anyone to do a good job. Naturally, the pizza showed up just fine.

I do that all the time with the local pizza place. I'm pretty sure they know us now and we always get super fast delivery. Even during times like the Super Bowl.

Anyone who has delivered pizza knows they can do a great job and get stiffed on a tip. There really isn't an incentive to do a good job. Tip up front is actually a better incentive.

At least in my case it works out very well.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:50 pm

massimo wrote:Speaking of Falbo's... when I last called to place a delivery order with credit card, the person taking my order gave me the total and then asked, "Would you like to add a tip to that?" I don't think I was required to at that moment (i.e. I could have waited to sign the slip upon delivery), but I hadn't heard this question before upon ordering and it threw me, so I said yes and added the standard 20-25%, can't remember for sure.

Back in my day at Falbos all credit card orders were immediately processed when we got off the phone, so adding a tip later was not an option (we had no credit card slips that needed to be sign so it wasn't even possible).

Not an ideal system, for a number of reasons, but I can attest to the fact that a pre-paid $3-4 tip got the pizza out the door much more quickly than some vague promise of a "big tip" if we "hurried."

Of course we also used to get drunk on the job and tell customers to fuck off and call Pizza Hut if they wanted a pizza so damn bad. It was pretty lawless back then compared to the multi-state franchise model of today. Best job I've ever had though. By far.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Guess it does make sense that a good tip up front would encourage good work. I suppose I already do this at coffee shops or anywhere else with counter service.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews