MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

tipping

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: tipping

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm

massimo wrote:Guess it does make sense that a good tip up front would encourage good work. I suppose I already do this at coffee shops or anywhere else with counter service.
I've never been really comfortable with tipping for counter service, since there's really no service involved. In France, for example – where the service is included in the price – the price for a drink is cheaper at the counter/bar, as opposed to a table. It's understood that you pay more at the table because you're paying for the service. (And of course, no tip is anticipated.)

But, coming from a service background, I tend to accommodate the barista even if that means I'm really just subsidizing the employer. What I'd love to to see is a kind of matching grants setup where the employer is obligated to match any tips from customers. The logistics seem forbidding, but yo, I'd be far more generous if I knew such a system were in place.

(And for those complicated frou-frou coffee drinks that take much effort and time to make, I think the customer ought to tip those who are behind them in line.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 pm

I like leaving good tips. I go to several different coffee shops on a semi-regular basis and, because I leave $1 tip for a $2.50 item, they're always nice to me. Restaurants, same idea.

They'd probably be nice anyway (people around here ARE nice), but making someone's shift worthwhile is a way of paying it forward. I got mine, maybe I can help someone else get theirs.

All this has little or nothing to do with the quality of service, though if I am picking up the bill for a table of diners, I double reward excellence.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 pm

fennel wrote: But, coming from a service background, I tend to accommodate the barista even if that means I'm really just subsidizing the employer.

I find myself being more accommodating when the barista is cute. I know this is a disgrace, but it just seems to happen all on its own. Beyond cute, extra bonus points are awarded when I detect even the slightest response to my irresistible charms.

I remember a conversation with a nice young woman working as a lifeguard. She was very pretty, and had an engaging personality. I always wondered why she wore makeup, and dared to broach topic - I opined she'd be even more attractive without it. Well, she was fine with my remark, but she said she had to wear makeup because she was a waitress after her lifeguard shift, and her tips were massively better when she wore makeup.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 pm

snoqueen wrote:All this has little or nothing to do with the quality of service, though if I am picking up the bill for a table of diners, I double reward excellence.
Heh. That reminds me of a couple I waited on who seemed soooo in love, or more likely, deeply infatuated.

But they were charming to behold and were clearly nervous about being together in public – as if they had leapt off a cliff while holding hands.

Anywhoo, I did the polite upsell routine, shamefully exploiting their shared delerium to encourage them to fully take advantage of the experience, as it were. I turned the mellifluous voice down low and let it fill the spaces where doubt happened to surface. I was most agreeable in a way that one could easily overlook.

I can safely say they had a truly excellent meal with excellent wine and excellent service – but within the bounds of what experienced diners would call reasonable for a big-ass celebration.

When it came time to present the check, I informed them that a fellow diner had insisted upon picking up the check – tip included – and had insisted on anonymity. (This was an amazing moment, by the way, as their eyes scanned the room. "Who could it be?")

I politely demurred when asked for details, furrowing my brows and pursing my lips, then sent them on their happy way.

No lie: that was some kind of fun, though it did mean I had some 'splainin' to do to my landlord for the week's delay ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:25 pm

massimo wrote:Speaking of Falbo's... when I last called to place a delivery order with credit card, the person taking my order gave me the total and then asked, "Would you like to add a tip to that?" I don't think I was required to at that moment (i.e. I could have waited to sign the slip upon delivery), but I hadn't heard this question before upon ordering and it threw me, so I said yes and added the standard 20-25%, can't remember for sure.

I was immediately overcome with remorse, knowing that I had removed all incentive for anyone to do a good job. Naturally, the pizza showed up just fine.

Still, not sure how I feel about the practice of adding tip before anybody has actually performed any service. I will probably just wait until delivery next time.

Speaking of being put on the spot ... the new "608" (in the old Paul's Club location" does their credit / debit card transactions on an iPad. There's no paper. So they scan your card, then the bartender leans on the bar, holding the iPad toward you and gazing into your eyes while you push a button for the tip and then sign with your finger.

Awkward on top of awkward.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:34 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 am

This is a pretty good summary. Of course when tips are outlawed, only outlaws will have tips.

I guess most people enjoy the power or process of evaluating someone, otherwise tipping would have gone away a long time ago. I find grading somebody an unpleasant task, I go out to eat to avoid tasks.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 am

One way tipping can be helpful is at a bar. I was told once to give a big tip after the first drink you order and you'll make good with the bartender. I have found this to be true. After doing this, you'll often get faster service the next time around. It's sort of a form of bribery, but it's about capitalism isn't it?

It was odd going to London and not tipping. I found myself wanting to do it anyway, but resisted because I was told you just don't do that there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58 am

I once heard that prostitutes like serving lepers because they often leave tips. Don't know what that was about.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 am

Huckleby wrote:

This is a pretty good summary. Of course when tips are outlawed, only outlaws will have tips.

I guess most people enjoy the power or process of evaluating someone, otherwise tipping would have gone away a long time ago. I find grading somebody an unpleasant task, I go out to eat to avoid tasks.

Come on Huck, tipping persists because people enjoy it? Really, that's your conclusion? Doesn't have anything to do with business owners shirking their responsibilities, supported by complicit governance?

If you really read the "pretty good summary," you understand that here in the United States your tip is not a reflection of the power or process of evaluation. You aren't grading them, you are paying them.

I tip very well because I know servers are paid very poorly, not because I enjoy it.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 am

The problem with the whole "tipping will get you better service" notion is that it's generally untrue. It might work at a bar that isn't very busy, and it probably works if you frequent a place and always get the same server, but otherwise, the idea that waitstaff will remember that you tipped well 2 months ago or that bartenders have any idea who left what tip when the place is hopping is a pretty big stretch (unless you do the George Costanza and make sure they see you tipping, I suppose.) At least, that's what I've been told by the majority of tip-receivers I've discussed this with over the past couple decades. BAD tippers are much more likely to be remembered.
And when it comes to most food delivery, the chances that it makes a difference are even slimmer. You get your food sometime after the bowl is cashed. Unless you order Chinese. Then you generally get it faster than you thought possible, no matter what you tip. (And if it takes longer than usual, you at least get a lot of apologies, something which never happens when Falbo's rolls up after an almost two-hour wait.)

The reason to tip -- and tip well -- is because you're not an asshole.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:At least, that's what I've been told by the majority of tip-receivers I've discussed this with over the past couple decades.

I've heard the opposite from bartenders I've known, but maybe they were just scamming me to give bartenders bigger tips. I think it depends on the particular place and crowd. I don't think this works for a place like State Street Brats, but more neighborhoody type bars might have bartenders more inclined to remember you.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The reason to tip -- and tip well -- is because you're not an asshole.

And in the end, I think this sums it up perfectly.

My parents owned a restaurant and I grew up in the industry. It's been ingrained in me to tip well because our current system relies on it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:48 am

When I pay for pizza delivery with a credit card, I tip the driver in cash just to make sure he actually gets the tip. Sometimes, when dining out, I've have had too much wine and simply made a mathematical error, leaving 10% instead of 15 or 20%. My apologies to the lovely waitress at the new Smack Shack in Minneapolis- next time I'll leave 25% to make up for my transgression!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The reason to tip -- and tip well -- is because you're not an asshole.

Yep, tipping is a tax on good behavior.

Maybe there should be a standard 15% asshole surcharge. And if the customer is unusually pleasant, the server is expected to waive it.

After work, the waiters might discuss, "had a great night -all assholes!"
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Huckleby wrote:I once heard that prostitutes like serving lepers because they often leave tips. Don't know what that was about.

Reminds me of the Rabbi who didn't charge for circumcisions.

He only took tips.

(appologies to Franken & Davis)
mifflander
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews