MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

tipping

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: tipping

Postby fennel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:23 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:Just me though. You brought me a beer -- here's a buck for the service and keep 'em coming.

Shouldn't the same apply for, say, a cashier at a clothing store? And if they gift-wrap it, slip 'em a little more.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 am

fennel wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:Just me though. You brought me a beer -- here's a buck for the service and keep 'em coming.

Shouldn't the same apply for, say, a cashier at a clothing store? And if they gift-wrap it, slip 'em a little more.

Depends. Did they also bring me a beer?

I'm kidding obviously, but think about places you tip, I used to have a serious love affair with the burgers and seasoned fries at the Bristled Boar in Middleton (also Emil's frozen pizza's but never mind that now). There's lots of places I can get a burger but only one place where I could get that burger. Those employees are the ones who make that burger, not McDonalds, not Culvers, not any massed produced product of any kind. They make me a one of a kind product, to order, every time on the spot, at my request. They get a little extra for themselves because of that.

Back to your department store example, I'm not tipping some person who's selling clothes that you can purchase at any Kohls in the United States or their online store anytime day or night. That "sales associate," is an anonymous cog to get generic merchandise in my hands. Now a kickass Tailor who custom makes my suits? You're damn right they'll get tipped.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

So you wouldn't tip your server at Applebee's? (Not to imply you'd intentionally go there ...)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 pm

fennel wrote:So you wouldn't tip your server at Applebee's? (Not to imply you'd intentionally go there ...)

I see where you're going with that point, you could even take the argument further with bottled beer and a bartender -- they're just handing off mass produced products to you. But I'd still argue that in regards to Applebee's the server approaching you at your table (rather than you to a counter), taking your order - which it still cooked at your request and to your specifications, the precedent for being tipped is met.

You can definitely start the "but where does it end," argument -- but as it fades into those grey areas its subjective. My buddy won't tip his barber -- I do.

And no, I wouldn't be caught dead in an Applebee's. Fuck Applebee's.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Anecdotally, my haircutter in Michigan wouldn't accept tips, since it was her business and she set the prices.

I was certainly glad for tipping when I was a server in the 90s. It got me through grad school. There were not too many jobs where I could expect to make at least $100 a night. There are probably fewer these days, but I really don't know.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

fennel wrote:Anecdotally, my haircutter in Michigan wouldn't accept tips, since it was her business and she set the prices.

I was certainly glad for tipping when I was a server in the 90s. It got me through grad school. There were not too many jobs where I could expect to make at least $100 a night. There are probably fewer these days, but I really don't know.

Serving and tending bar saved my ass when I was in a bad way financially. Name another job that on your first night of work you have a hundred bucks in your pocket and a free beer buzz.

The lifestyle eventually catches up to you and you move on -- or you fuck up and buy a place! :lol:

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:The lifestyle eventually catches up to you and you move on -- or you fuck up and buy a place!

You mean like this?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:The lifestyle eventually catches up to you and you move on -- or you fuck up and buy a place!

You mean like this?

The Stages of this process.

1. Young Bartender: "Holy shit! this is best job ever! Going to work is like, fun and stuff! I can't spend money fast enough, and if I do, I can just make more tomorrow.
2. Experienced Young Bartender: "God the money's good. I don't see my old friends as much, but its okay the folks I work with are basically my friends now anyway." "Fuck, I'm a little hungover today, better just stick with beer tonight."
3. Mid to Late Twenties Bartender: "ugh my fucking head --I should have bought stock in Tylenol. What time is it? 4pm?! Shit I have to be a work in a half hour."
4. You just turned 30 Bartender: "Why won't these dark circles under my eyes go the fuck away. God, everyone I work with is a fucking idiot and I'm so fucking sick of these god damn regulars."
5. Early 30's Bartender: "My fucking boss is an idiot and an asshole, all he does is drink himself stupid everyday, all he'd have to do is put in a little effort -- I could run this place so much better."

By 45, you're bitter, angry, hate yourself and your liver for being such a wuss, but you've saved enough for a down payment on your own place. You can finally be your own boss, your place will be different, special even. You've got it all figured out.

Over the next 10 years you will become the boss you hated in your early 30's who gets drunk at the end of your own bar and doesn't give a shit about the place. You'll have to hire a peppy, good looking new bartender to pick up the slack. The kid will hustle and bust ass when they're in the weeds and will make some decent coin for a couple years.....then the circle of bar life will continue.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Shoulda worked in a nice restaurant: In at 5pm, wait on 4-5 tables, wrap up with some side work, and be on your way home to sweetheart by 10:30. (Weekend nights by 11:30)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm

fennel wrote:Shoulda worked in a nice restaurant: In at 5pm, wait on 4-5 tables, wrap up with some side work, and be on your way home to sweetheart by 10:30. (Weekend nights by 11:30)

I tended bar at supper clubs as I got older, and you're dead on. I remember the first time I made over $250 bucks between 5 and 11 on a Friday night, I almost shit myself -- then I went to the bar next door and got my cooks and busboy* hammered.

*(The busboy was the main reason I was able to pull in the cash. The dining room had a 2hr wait so I broke some rules and started serving apps and entrees at the bar, he became my runner -- I tipped the kid out 75 bucks and bought his drinks all night.)

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 pm

Huckleby wrote:Such small-minded, judgmental people.

It's weird here. I was getting blasted left and right as a lawn nazi on this board one afternoon because I dared suggest that it's typical for neighbors to judge eachother based on how they take care of their lawns. I hardly ever mow. It was just an observation. The freakout reaponse was absurd. I've been in Madison for years and I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that these closed-minded, dogmatic conservatives insist on calling themselves liberals just because they vote for Democrats. Strange culture.

I can see how your story might read as creepy but i can just as easily see how it could read as a perfectly normal, so I don't see any need to jump to negative conclusions, much less be a bitch about it. I'm an extremely social person so I end up making friends on elevators and having super-personal conversations with the random people who cut my hair at random strip malls (save it, trolls who want to jump on that and say I'm imposing - I'm pretty good at recognizing boundaries and shutting up too). Your mistake was trying to explain an experience like that to an audience like this.

Nothing unusual about the daily page cops trying to put you in a box and ridicule you because you gave them the slightest opening to assume the worst. I think a lot of these people have self-esteem problems, and it makes them feel better, so consider it a public service.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Back to tipping.

So right now a beer cost about 3 bucks at a townie bar, I tip a buck a beer- 4 Bucks.

Would you rather the beer just be 4 bucks and not tip?

Back to tipping. Good call.

If it costs $4 to keep the bar afloat, pay the bartender the federal minimum wage, and provide the owner at least a reasonable profit, it should be $4. But I don't think the custom of tipping for good service or extra attention at a busy place should go away.

The only possible problem I see with equalizing the wage table but continuing tipping is the possibility of it then becoming customary in other consumer transactions. Imagine standing at the McDonalds counter with just enough cash for you and your kids to eat and everybody else is waving around a buck or two like it's a college bar. That would be an unfortunate consequence.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 am

Ninja wrote: I'm an extremely social person so I end up making friends on elevators and having super-personal conversations with the random people who cut my hair at random strip malls

I think there are a lot of friendships that people have that are associated with a time and place. Work friends. Gym friends. The guy who cuts your hair. Neighbors. You can become quite intimate with them, even have love between you, share personal stories. Yet they aren't exactly friends because you won't be going to their wedding, or making many social plans with them, and you know the relationship is going to end when the time-place binding ends. There are hundreds such people who have touched & changed me, and I will always remember them, but I'm not sure they ever were exactly "friends."

I guess that's why God created facebook.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

You mean like this?

Hey Henry's still around! Hi Henry!
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Good to see you back, Buckyor. Stil in Maine? I've been reading a bunch about your crazy governor (he seems even loonier than Scott Walker).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews