MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

tipping

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: tipping

Postby buckyor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Good to see you back, Buckyor. Stil in Maine? I've been reading a bunch about your crazy governor (he seems even loonier than Scott Walker).

I actually just moved to New Mexico two months ago. Loving it down here.

LePage is a raging imbecile. It's bad enough he's stupid; what's worse is he's aggressively stupid. He was elected with about 38% of the vote in a 3 way race a few years ago, when Dems split their vote between the party designee (the universally loathed Libby Mitchell, who got less than 20%) and independent Eliot Cutler, who got 36%.

LePage just announced he's seeking re-election, which should be entertaining. Dems have a stronger candidate this time in Paul Michaud, who is resigning his CD2 seat to run, but Cutler is also planning to run again. Hopefully we don't have a repeat of 2010.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm

LePage is a real pit bull. When I saw Morsi delivering his defiant speech last night in Egypt, I thought of LePage. Been following LePage's antics in Maine fighting-back medicaid expansion against overwhelming public support.

LePage does not fit in with people of Maine, I think he got elected with a plurality of the vote in some three-way deal. HE's the Muslim Brotherhood candidate.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Huckleby wrote:... I think he got elected with a plurality of the vote in some three-way deal.

Ahem. Did you read the post above yours?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: Ahem. Did you read the post above yours?
not in time. sorry sir, won't happen again.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:57 am

fennel wrote:On the other hand, there was a kind of sweet spot during the 80s/90s where an ambitious service professional could blaze a trail, and possibly finance more potentially-lucrative career routes. It didn't go without doing some hard work and research, but there clearly was a market for professionals. (I don't know what the market is like today.)

You know that the Tom Cruise film, "Cocktail," was not a documentary, right?

:D j/k
AndyMatts

Postby Sandi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:44 pm

massimo wrote:Guess it does make sense that a good tip up front would encourage good work. I suppose I already do this at coffee shops or anywhere else with counter service.

Tipping up front removes the incentive to give you good service. As for counter services, in most cases that is a non-tipping situation.

Tips are for the waitperson who serves you, usually at your table, and works below minimum wage. The behind-the-counter workers at fast food and coffee shops make at least minimum wage, and should not be tipped. For what? Handing you an empty cup to fill yourself?

The other day Jeff Kay of the West Virginia Surf Report blog pondered this tipping at the counter practice.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't think tipping is an incentive for good service. That's such a worn-out notion that it really doesn't bear discussion anymore. But keeping your job is an excellent incentive to provide good service.

During the time I felt most seasoned and capable as a waiter (formal table service), I made it a point to not even look at the tip on the charge slip. It cut down on the stress immeasurably, since the tip never reliably correlated with the level of service anyway. If you're consistently providing good service, it will work out well overall. If not, you'll most likely hear about it from management first – and then only if there's some kind of pattern.

But that's also a good argument for including the service in the bill. (Better yet, don't even itemize it, since it's just part of the price, like the utilities.)

I will say that when I was starting out, working in informal eateries, the tip did serve as a feedback mechanism. But that was because I was working in an environment of sheer chaos where there were few experienced people to offer advice.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 am

I don't use tipping as a feedback mechanism (though once in a great, great while, I use NOT tipping as feedback). I use it as a way of paying someone for serving me, a way of engaging in positive human relations, and of being part of a community where people support each other.

I have to admit I was dismayed at the negativity of some people's comments here, poor delicate me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:54 pm

fennel wrote:I don't think tipping is an incentive for good service.
I couldn't agree more. And I'd add that it shouldn't be anyway. You should provide good service because you should take pride in your work, no matter what your job.

fennel wrote:During the time I felt most seasoned and capable as a waiter (formal table service), I made it a point to not even look at the tip on the charge slip.

Not only do I not think you're alone in this, but I also assume that in many places, you never even see the charge slip after a tip has been added unless you actively seek to. When I go to The Copper Top, the server brings me my bill, I take it up to the counter and pay, and then the host takes the tip I've added to the charge slip out of the drawer and puts it in a basket for the waitstaff. This practice changes what I tip not at all (at least 20% always) but pretty much guarantees that even if any particular waitress remembers me, she's not going to associate me with any kind of tipping habit. The service there is routinely excellent regardless.
Just as the reason to tip is because you're not an asshole, the reason to provide good service at your job is because you're not a terrible worker.

In summary: don't be an asshole and don't be a terrible worker.
That's as close to a religious creed as I get.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Chinaski » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 am

Freakonomics covered this issue here: http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/06/03/ ... o-podcast/

Turns out tipping is discriminatory and inefficient.
Henry Chinaski

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Henry Chinaski wrote: Turns out tipping is discriminatory and inefficient.

who woulda thunk it.

This is one of those issues that I am very one-sided on. I see no redeeming value whatsoever in the tipping system.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:44 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

First step: get rid of the subminimum wage for servers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:First step: get rid of the subminimum wage for servers.

This is a good idea, but wouldn't get rid of tipping. Maybe necessary step, but what next?

( I've never been able to think of a good way to deal with the general problem of low wages. Raising the minimum wage to a living wage has unintended side effects. I see government provided health care as the most effective way to bolster working poor.)
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:First step: get rid of the subminimum wage for servers.

This is a good idea, but wouldn't get rid of tipping. Maybe necessary step, but what next?

Second step: raise the minimum wage and make sure all servers have health care.

France does that and tipping is not the norm. Servers make a good living and can support a family.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews