MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
jamesmadisonpark
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Rathskeller Breakfast

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Rathskeller Breakfast

Postby Cameron Connors » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

I'd be fine if they just served the Paul Bunyan burger at all hours.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=40698

Oh, and my favorite is further proof that hours in this town, especially for food, seem unencumbered with society's expectations. See also Red Sushi

On Friday I called Memorial's general number, (608) 265-3000, to check summer weekend breakfast hours. Staff told me that the Rathskeller opens at 7 a.m. on Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday. This seemed odd, since the building's summer 2013 schedule (PDF) states that it doesn't even open until an hour later on both days.

I was then relayed to the Rathskeller, where a worker told me instead that the kitchen opens at 7 a.m. on Saturday and 8 a.m. on Sunday; another oddity.

The online schedule says the Rathskeller opens at 8 a.m. on Saturday, and that on Sunday there is no breakfast at all; that it opens at 11 a.m. (The printed schedule posted outside the building agrees.)

On the other hand, the posted schedules state that Lakefront is open for breakfast at 8 a.m. on Sunday. A phone call on Saturday confirmed it. I hurried down the next morning.

It was closed. It didn't open until 11 a.m., for lunch. "I'll have to do some digging to find out why the discrepancy," promises Korz.
Cameron Connors

Re: Rathskeller Breakfast

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Cameron Connors wrote:Oh, and my favorite is further proof that hours in this town, especially for food, seem unencumbered with society's expectations. See also Red Sushi

I don't know what Red Sushi's hours are, but other than that, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Plus, the Union food is pretty much crap in my opinion. I go there for beer and music(maybe a brat)
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cameron Connors » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Red seemed to lock its doors at the lunch rush, especially early on. I've had trouble with hours at a lot of the smaller non-chain places in town (the recently departed Carnival's comes to mind) the sub shop on Willy (now Vasilis')), and some of the cash only places. Brocach's capitol location used to close down earlier than stated, and the Mason too.
Cameron Connors

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

I was sorry to read that story this morning. It wasn't very long ago that I had bacon, eggs and toast at the Rathskeller and gazed out the window. I have many fond memories of lunches and breakfasts with my boyfriend back in the late 60's and early 70's at their cafeteria. Since I have been on a low cholesterol diet for a year now, lately I've really had a craving for bacon, eggs and hashbrowns!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Korz pointed out that breakfast service hasn't been profitable for a few years, despite remodeling of the Rathskeller's serving area a little more than a year ago.

I think that's a good sentence except someone mistakenly wrote "despite" where they should have written "due to."

I don't know how they managed to make that ordering aisle so bland and uninviting, but somehow they found a way.

I think the Rathskeller can sell good food at a profit again. All they'd have to do is duplicate Mickey's Dairy Bar. To all appearances that place makes a tidy profit with a customer base that's almost entirely from campus. I can't think of a reason that model wouldn't work at the Rath. Maybe it's not modern enough.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bretley » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:38 am

I was at the Terrace Sunday from about 10am - 1pm. I saw a rather large number of people bringing trays of breakfast out to their tables (that must have been after 11, I didn't note the time). I did notice the breakfasts didn't really look that interesting - most people had scrambled eggs, toast and bacon. I suppose we're all there for the atmosphere over the food, though - I myself had a burger from the stand outside around noon which was unimpressive but tasted all the better for the view.
Bretley

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews