MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Any good places to eat in Oregon?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Any good places to eat in Oregon?

Postby Beaver » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm golfing tomorrow morning in Oregon and looking for a lunch place afterwards. Are there any good places to eat in Oregon? Ideally would like a cafe type place where I could get a good sandwich or brunch items, like Sunroom cafe or Prarie cafe. But any good restaurant would do.

So far Debroux Diner looks best. I like places that offer Breakfast anytime. http://www.debrouxsdiner.com/menus3.html

Firefly coffehouse would be next: http://www.fireflycoffeehouse.com/index.html?ffpage=3
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Any good places to eat in Oregon?

Postby baked goods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:54 pm

McDonalds
baked goods

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Lots, depending on what you're looking for. Pay no attention to the clown post above.

First off: Capital Creamery has straight up the best fast food-style burgers (think In-n-Out or Shake Shack) in the area, and it just closed for an indeterminate "season." So when it's back up and running (if?), please do check that spot out.

Alberici's Delicatezza has some nice Italian deli sandwiches and soups.

Mason's on Main just opened a couple months ago, and I haven't had the chance to check it out, but its schedule covers a couple service windows (lunch and dinner, no specific brunch but it's open for weekend lunch which is close).

Senor Peppers does a solid Meximerican menu, and just recently relocated across the street from its old location (which is now Mason's on Main) into a very pretty renovated space.

La Rocca's moved to Oregon from Willy Street, and seems to be unchanged. Italian comfort food.

Lil' Buddy's has a fine Chicago-style hot dog and lots of popcorn varieties if you're into that sort of thing. Hours are finicky though.

Maria's Pizza is beloved by many, but the hours there do not coordinate well with my scheduled time in Oregon. I have yet to check that one out.

Sub Town is down-home charming, if lo-fi.

DeBroux's was a disappointment the last time I was there; I think the parting of ways that turned it from BrouxNellie's to DeBroux's wasn't entirely kind on the operation. But Mr. DeBroux is doing the fish fry at the East Side Club now, too, so perhaps things have shored up.

Firefly is a great coffeehouse, but not as great for food. Orders routinely take a very long time to come up, and the results are less than stellar. Adequate, but not great. The coffee, though, is Kickapoo, and thus quite tasty.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:23 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Maria's Pizza is beloved by many, but the hours there do not coordinate well with my scheduled time in Oregon. I have yet to check that one out.

Man, Maria's stuffed pizzas have made appearances in my dreams.....so good.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zhinggibiis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Debroux's is the last place I would choose to eat at in Oregon. The service is slow, the food is blah and overpriced.

I just ate lunch at Mason's on Saturday. It was really good. Service was great, food was up fast and cooked as ordered. The bar is really nice. Looking forward to trying dinner there.

Mulligan's is a bar/restaurant that has decent food and good service (same owners as Martin O'Grady's).
Zhinggibiis

Postby Beaver » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the tips BookPolice and others. Mason's sounds good but their menu won't load on their web page. http://www.masonsonmain.com/

I've had a lot of Italian and Mexican lately so won't go to those places this time but they sound good. Slow service at Debroux would be ok if the food is good.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:41 am

Beaver wrote:Thanks for the tips BookPolice and others. Mason's sounds good but their menu won't load on their web page. http://www.masonsonmain.com/

Check on another browser. It came up fine for me just now.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Stay away from Maria's Pizza - it will wreck your opinion of all others.
bcs89

Postby Beaver » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Zhinggibiis wrote:Debroux's is the last place I would choose to eat at in Oregon. The service is slow, the food is blah and overpriced.

I just ate lunch at Mason's on Saturday. It was really good. Service was great, food was up fast and cooked as ordered. The bar is really nice. Looking forward to trying dinner there.

Mulligan's is a bar/restaurant that has decent food and good service (same owners as Martin O'Grady's).

You and me have different tastes. We ate at Debroux's and it was great. Good food, quaint atmosphere, reasonable prices, good service not slow. I had two potato pancakes with applesauce. They were large and very good for only $3. My friend enjoyed his omelet. I like diner's and recommend Debroux to anyone else who does. It's in downtown Oregon.

I went inside Mason's and checked the menu. Nothing but pub food: burgers and sandwiches. Several tv's on the walls blaring sports news I don't care about. No thanks, that's not for me.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Beaver wrote:I went inside Mason's and checked the menu. Nothing but pub food: burgers and sandwiches. Several tv's on the walls blaring sports news I don't care about. No thanks, that's not for me.

Must have been the lunch menu. My parents have been a few times for dinner and reported being quite happy with the entrees.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews