MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

That BBQ Joint - Willy Street

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

That BBQ Joint - Willy Street

Postby yesferatu » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:18 am

I don't have a ton to say yet, but they opened yesterday.
They're across from Mickey's on Willy Street.

We picked up a bulk order of pulled pork, brisket and ribs.
Absolutely no frills, but it's their first day.

They may be in contention for the best BBQ in Madison.
It will require more research...much more research.
Three excellent sauces. I loved everything but the beans.

Check em out.
yesferatu

Re: That BBQ Joint - Willy Street

Postby Bbqking » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Always happy to see another BBQ spot in Madison.

Pulled pork was lean, smoky, and a touch dry. Ribs were very smoky, but nicely cooked. I appreciate being served ribs sans sauce, but all I could taste was smoke, no discernible taste of any type of dry rub.

Mustard sauce was the star of the show and helped rescue the generous amount of pork on the sandwich. Original sauce went well with the ribs and had nice amounts of sweet and heat.

Creamy coleslaw worked on the pork sandwich and as a side. Baked beans were my least favorite item.

I will give them another try soon, not fair to form a full opinion on only their second day of business.
Bbqking

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:21 pm

This place is legitimate, people. We also purchased the bulk pulled pork and sampled the three different sauces (mustard, regular, and spicy) and found everything to be very tasty. The pulled pork was smoky and flavorful, not at all greasy, and the spicy sauce, which was my favorite, had a nice Allspice kick to it. We also tried the sides which included sweet potato fries (crispy with a nice salty batter), baked beans (sweat and firm) and coleslaw (oddly minced and containing fruit). I am eager to try the other offerings but pumped to have this place in the neighborhood.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 pm

I wonder of the sustainability. People only eat so much BBQ. Maybe once a month? How many more BBQ places can Dane County support? Regardless, I think it is a tough row to hoe and wish them well and good luck.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 am

I've been wanting a place like Smoke Daddy to open up here in Madison. It strikes all the right chords with me: great BBQ, cozy neighborhood spot, good live music, clean but not sterile. If I lived in that neighborhood I'd be there at least 2-3 times/month. Heck, I'm there ~6 times/year and I live 140 miles away.

I haven't been to this new place on Willy, but in that location they could really do something special. I'll give it a try this week.

edit-- hmm, I guess the space is a wee bit on the small side: "The space will have three tables and two counters with seating for about 10 people."
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:37 pm

The place is definitely on the small side, but the counters and stools are accommodating and the people-watching from the picture windows is entertaining. It basically is a replacement for "Batch" which catered to a take-out clientele before it moved up the street, only now it's smoky pork goodness instead of baked goods. Also, I constantly crave BBQ so if they go out of business, it won't be because of me.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby acereraser » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:43 pm

If the BBQ is high quality, people will line up outside the door waiting for their chance to get it. Last Saturday, the last day before we came home on our 4000+ mile family road trip, we stopped here

for some of this.

Really, I declared we were going to stop somewhere in KC for BBQ, pared down to two choices for my wife, and she ultimately picked LC's. My point is, if it is good enough, folks from all across the country will stop through when they are in the area.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bbqking » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:02 pm

acereraser wrote:If the BBQ is high quality, people will line up outside the door waiting for their chance to get it. Last Saturday, the last day before we came home on our 4000+ mile family road trip, we stopped here

for some of this.

Really, I declared we were going to stop somewhere in KC for BBQ, pared down to two choices for my wife, and she ultimately picked LC's. My point is, if it is good enough, folks from all across the country will stop through when they are in the area.

Good call on the burnt ends at LC's. Hope you enjoyed them with french fries and bbq beans.
Bbqking

Postby david cohen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 pm

As a native of Eastern North Carolina, I gotta check it out. I mean, good Q ain't kosher but then again neither is <censored>!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 pm

And as a good humored and nonintrusive vegetarian, I looked at that picture and my first thought was "people EAT that?" My mind at first couldn't figure out if you were trying to show something you liked, or something awful.

In context, of course, I realized after a minute it was something you liked. And that's fine, and I'm glad you had a good trip and liked what you ate.

But no wonder we can't agree on a healthcare plan or on the government. We can't even agree on whether something is food or not.

And I feel like MH could explain this better than I have.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 pm

I like to taste the meat and the smoke- not layers of sauce- when I eat Q. This place takes the same approach. The ribs were moist inside, nice and smoky, and not over-seasoned prior to being cooked. The pulled pork was really nice- it had that hint of hickory smoke sweetness but not salty/peppery or overbearing. 3 kinds of sauce available on the side for those who prefer to slather it on or use just a dash. Next time I'll try the collard greens and brisket. Pretty tasty for a 3 week old operation. Definitely a counter-point to the Smoky Jon's style as well. I hope the neighborhood supports this little gem:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Only open Thurs-Sun, (admittedly widely-available) information that would have saved me a trip yesterday :/
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:39 pm

I hit this place for a late Saturday lunch today. For 8 bucks I had the pulled pork sandwich with two sides: collard greens and a little cup of brisket chili. As David Byrne would say as he slopped down piles of meat during that legendary lost tour of '81, "This must be the place!"

First, a little bit about me: I'm 36.

The place is tiny but there was a spot to ass up to so I decided to eat in house. The brisket chili was pretty good. Great meat, mediocre bean/sauce combo. The collard greens were vegetably. They were collard and they popped.

I'm always on the lookout for good BBQ. The Madison BBQ scene has been up and down over the years. For BBQ usually I go to Smoky Jon's since it's probably the best in town. Famous Dave is a jerk, Brickhouse BBQ is ok (great beer selection though), and Papa Bear's didn't do much for me. For a while we had Porky Pine Pete's Cavernous Hall of Smoked Meat on the West side which was great. But it didn't last. On my band's tours we would always eat BBQ when we could so I've had the pleasure to have eaten at some of the classic must-eat BBQ joints in the South: Sonny Bryan's in Dallas, The BBQ Shop and Central BBQ in Memphis, Oklahoma Joe's in KC, Allen & Son in NC, and many others. Why am I saying this? I don't think I'm qualified to be a food critic, but BBQ is something of that I've had plenty.

Cutting to the chase, the pork was fucking great. A generous pile, juicy with a nice amount of smoke. The bun quietly did it's job with a touch of class. The three sauces were fantastic as well. I'm excited to try the brisket next time.

In a National BBQ context I give this place 43 out of a possible 47 points. In a Madison context I give it 45 out of 47. (Sorry Smoky Jon, but you'll always have that 8x10 of you and Paula Abdul on the wall).

So please, let's keep this place alive. Go there and check it out so it doesn't end up like Porky Pine Pete's Pink Pork Palace.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:09 pm

I promise this is the last time I will shill for this place.

We had ribs and pulled pork on Friday and they were both fantastic. The ribs were smoked to perfection and not greasy in the slightest. As noted in other posts, the meat does not just fall off the bone--which may be a problem for some--but I thoroughly enjoyed the texture and flavor of the ribs. The pulled pork was again fantastic, making me optimistic that this place will continue to be consistent and consistently awesome in their food preparations. I will note that they removed the baked beans from the menu (or named them something else).

I only hope that the business-side of the restaurant--including marketing and operations--improves, as it seems they are flying by the seat of their pants on each e.g. no advertising, little social media presence, inconsistent store hours. Otherwise, all their good work and my shilling will have been for naught.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:14 am

Ok...me too. One more plug for this place. I've been back twice since my review. I've now had the pulled pork, the brisket, rib tips, and most of the sides. Everything is great. The sauces!!

The last time I went I ended up getting the pulled pork sandwich with no sides...5 dollars. 5 dollars for a large, fresh, toasted bun stuffed with a moist stack of very freshly smoked top shelf meat. Tremendous.

It got me thinking, what can you get at Milio's or Subway for 5 dollars?? Tasteless bread filled with tarantula shit. What do you get at Graze for 5 dollars? A kick to the tip of your dick. (Graze Anatomy)

Check this place out and taste the love they put into their food.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews