MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fox and the pigs thing

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fox and the pigs thing

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:10 am

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here yet.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 8acb4.html

http://host.madison.com/news/state-and- ... 1c754.html

While I highly doubt that anyone was in any danger of being sickened by his product, I have to wonder why a guy who seems pretty sharp would get himself in this situation? I have a hard time believing that he was unaware of the rules. I'm talking more here about the unlicensed meat production and sales issue than the table scraps in the feed issue.

I realize that Fox comes from the world of pop-up restaurants and other such unregulated food events, but this seems to be on a little different level. The story didn't say if the restaurants buying from him were aware of his lack of a license. Food Fight seems a little too corporate to knowingly take that kind of a chance.

With the amount of media coverage he has gotten previously to this, it doesn't seem surprising that someone in food safety government noticed. That's what makes this so odd to me, it was so out in the open.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fox and the pigs thing

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

It's surprising to me that Tory Miller, who publicly chided Black Earth Meats for perceived supply chain imprecision, apparently didn't catch the licensing issues in vetting Fox as a potential vendor.

From November 7:

Tory Miller, the James Beard Award-winning chef and co-owner of Downtown restaurants L’Etoile and Graze, said an agent from DATCP came by last week to make sure he didn’t have any unlicensed pork in the building.

Miller said he bought a half a pig from Fox in August but hasn’t been using a steady supply of Fox’s product.

“I think in Dan’s mind he was just kind of raising the hogs right, killing them right, and then selling them off to people that he knows would like well-raised pork,” he said. “I know that Dan is trying to do the right thing ... but you’ve got to follow the rules, I guess.”
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:48 am

I can't figure this out either. Possibilities that came to mind:

1 - Amateurism combined with access to way too much money?

2 - Complete arrogance, like "the rules are for little people?"

3 - More emphasis on promotion than expertise or substance? Overreliance on personal charm and connections, again masking lack of expertise and substance?

4 - Did this person come from a part of the country where he could get away with stuff like this, and get caught by surprise when he found out Wisconsin actually takes clean agriculture and food standards seriously?

Alarm bells went off for me as soon as I read this guy had started a production hog farm and thought he was ready for the big time after, apparently, one season. And he wasn't even on the premises most of the time, he was in Madison starting a fancy restaurant. Nope, it's not that easy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:50 am

This statement from Miller...

TheBookPolice wrote:“I think in Dan’s mind he was just kind of raising the hogs right, killing them right, and then selling them off to people that he knows would like well-raised pork,”

and this quote from the above article...

In late October or early November, a DATCP investigator visited more than a dozen Madison-area and Milwaukee restaurants and other business that were receiving products from Fox Heritage Farms, 5957 McKee Road.

sure don't sound like the same operation. I don't believe ignorance was in play here.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews