MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Restaurant week Jan 19-24

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Restaurant week Jan 19-24

Postby Shorty » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:39 pm

If you are a glutton or rich here are the menu's:

http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison- ... ticipants/
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Restaurant week Jan 19-24

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm

If you are ignorant or confused about the use of apostrophes, here are some rules:
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:59 pm

If you've got no frame of reference for either gluttony or wealth, please continue posting about it on the internet.

(Come on man. Have you had a RW meal? It's overpriced but doesn't require a lavish expenditure, and it's nowhere close to gluttonous.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Seriously, do you ever go out? This is how much many dinners cost. You could always eat at the Olive Garden.

Why do you even post this shit if you're gonna be a douche about it?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:31 pm

It's bigger meals than I can eat so I'd rather not pay that much.

Stebben84 wrote:Seriously, do you ever go out? This is how much many dinners cost. You could always eat at the Olive Garden.

Your usual exaggerations and nastiness. Yes I go out for dinner in Madison and almost always pay much less than $30. Better places than Olive Garden.

Stebben84 wrote:Why do you even post this shit if you're gonna be a douche about it?

That's how I feel about your posts. Do you need to be so crude and offensive? Were you raised by pirates or in a prison? If you think you can start better topics than mine, why don't you? Seems like you never start threads, instead you just post negative attacks to other people's threads.
Last edited by Shorty on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Here are the Restaurant Week menus for Biaggi's, Capt Bill's and Porta Bella:

http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison-Magazine/Events/Restaurant-Week/Participants/Biaggis/

http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison-Magazine/Events/Restaurant-Week/Participants/Captain-Bills/

http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison-Magazine/Events/Restaurant-Week/Participants/Porta-Bella/

Since I don't go to any of these places regularly (and one not ever) I can't tell you if it's the same-old, same-old dressed up with an app and dessert or if the cook's putting on a show, doing something new or special or seasonal or just different. But then maybe you like the same-old, same-old and figure an app and dessert adds up to more food than you're comfortable with. To each his own.

For me Restaurant Week is an excuse to try a new place or revisit a neglected favorite. And while I haven't run into any Mediterranean Cafe-level quality-for-the-price I have had some pretty good meals at restaurants I usually wouldn't be able to enjoyably afford with friends I probably couldn't have talked into going if it weren't an "event", just because somehow there's always a reason not to go this weekend. So far it's worked out nicely all around.

This time we'll be going to Lombardino's -- haven't been there in ten years so I'm curious how/if things have changed.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 pm

For the most part I think it's the same-old, same-old dressed up with an app and dessert. But I went to Capt Bill's Sunday night and enjoyed it. Had the pear salad, glazed salmon, and key lime pie. Mmm....mmm...good. Was $25 but I took half of it home for leftovers so had two meals out of it.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Shorty wrote:...I went to Capt Bill's Sunday night and enjoyed it.

Are you rich, a glutton, or both?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 pm

jman111 wrote:

Are you mean? Why you gotta pick on Shorty yo? Go out to Resto Week and grab a bite and chillax, know what I'm sayin?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:45 am

Smoky's last night. The place was full. Had the stuffed mushrooms for apps. They should be on the regular menu. Great meal (I've never had a disappointing dinner at Smoky's). Thursday we will be going to Lombardino's.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

jman111 wrote:

OK I had that coming. I will eat my words...with that delicious salmon. Wish it weren't so cold now so I could go out again for restaurant week.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Well you almost had me regretting that I wasn't going to Capt Bill's, after that description. But then Lombardino's met and exceeded my expectations -- maybe I just hadn't read the menu right, or carefully enough, but something surprised me about everything I ordered. The winter panzanella turned out to be a delightful curly endive salad packed with little hidden goodies (olives, croutons, roasted veggies), the Marsala mushroom linguini was less creamy and more mushroomy-and-cheesy than I had imagined (plus, lots of fun to play with -- I got to channeling my inner 4-year-old, in an sophisticated and elegant way, of course), and though the pistachio cake was quite good in it's own right, the sour cream ice cream on top was eye-opening extraordinary wow! I've never had anything like it.

So I got to try many new tasty very well prepared things, which is all I ask of my Restaurant Week adventures. And I don't think it will be ten years before I go to Lombardino's again.

As for Capt Bill's, I'm thinking it's only 6 months until Summer Restaurant Week... hmmmm...

I looked for you, Henry, but the room was packed with old guys in sweaters (in fact the room was packed, period) so I figured you had called in the doppelgangers as camouflage. Everyone seemed to be having a good time -- can I assume that you did too?
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:I looked for you, Henry, but the room was packed with old guys in sweaters...

I was one of them.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Had business guests in town Tuesday, and if it hadn't been for Restaurant Week I'd've taken them to one of the usual suspects around the Square.

Instead, I finally made it to Pig in a Fur Coat, which wasn't part of RW. DAMN it was good! Thank you, Restaurant Week.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews