MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Did you know Prince is only 5'2"

I had no idea. That's pretty fucking short.

The question is if Prince wore a poncho, would he be even MORE interesting.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:35 pm

minicat wrote:If you're more into what the musicians are wearing or how they look than the music ... either (a) the music sucks or (b) you suck.

So, thinking about this more, it's kind of a dodge mini - I wasn't wondering if clothes were MORE important than the music, but rather just if you care about 'em at all. You're kind of a rare one in this regard (I've seen the denim shirt, I know what's up), but folks who get all up in arms about, say, boat shoes do kind of crack me up when they clearly have their own ideas about what bands should wear. (DANIMAL, I'm looking at you, non-onesey version.)

A great counter example are the incredibly fancy jeans that a lot of the "edgier" modern country music stars wear - uh, Luke Bryan, etc. They're pre-roughed, very shiny, and very 'made-to-look-authentic', in a way that looks pretty phony. Most of these guys just wear shirts and jeans now, though the jeans are like that and the shirts are very clearly fitted. Pretty funny stuff.

Also, don't get me started on Prince. I hate Prince.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 pm

rrnate wrote:

Well I knew you were ginger but I let it slide. Now this? You are joining Bludge and Ned on the "Foes" list.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:49 pm

rrnate wrote:
minicat wrote:If you're more into what the musicians are wearing or how they look than the music ... either (a) the music sucks or (b) you suck.

So, thinking about this more, it's kind of a dodge mini - I wasn't wondering if clothes were MORE important than the music, but rather just if you care about 'em at all. You're kind of a rare one in this regard (I've seen the denim shirt, I know what's up), but folks who get all up in arms about, say, boat shoes do kind of crack me up when they clearly have their own ideas about what bands should wear. (DANIMAL, I'm looking at you, non-onesey version.)

A great counter example are the incredibly fancy jeans that a lot of the "edgier" modern country music stars wear - uh, Luke Bryan, etc. They're pre-roughed, very shiny, and very 'made-to-look-authentic', in a way that looks pretty phony. Most of these guys just wear shirts and jeans now, though the jeans are like that and the shirts are very clearly fitted. Pretty funny stuff.

I don't understand the question.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:58 pm

rrnate wrote:

So, thinking about this more, it's kind of a dodge mini

It was neither a dodge or a swipe at you. I was saying in a crabby way that the MUSIC should be the important part of MUSIC. Danimal wearing a singlet or some incredibly evil personages forcing me to wear a suit can be a part of the overall experience but has absolutely nothing to do with the music.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
rrnate wrote:

Well I knew you were ginger but I let it slide. Now this? You are joining Bludge and Ned on the "Foes" list.

Uh, also I'm in a ska band. I'm kind of an outlier here.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 pm

jjoyce wrote:I think if musicians give fans a little something extra to be invested in, then fans will invest. One of my favorite bands is the Jayhawks and I remember driving by Smart when they were in Madison mixing an album. There were two or three of these vintage cars parked on Baldwin with Minnesota plates and it just totally fit with their whole vibe and I was sucked in just a little more.

Man, I love the Jayhawks, but (and this is pretty unrelated) I saw 'em at the Barrymore last year and OMG, they were boring.

jjoyce wrote:Which local band has the best style these days?

Joyce, you're just trying to start some shit now - everyone knows Lucas Cates is the best styled so just stop it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:33 am

rrnate wrote:Joyce, you're just trying to start some shit now - everyone knows Lucas Cates is the best styled so just stop it.

Best styled, or MOST styled? I think there is a distinct difference.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 am

I think it's just that the kind of person who actually wears boat shows is very likely to have shitty music taste. :wink: If there are exceptions, they prove the rule.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby doppel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am

No. But there is at least one exception. I don't know her music and never will.Image
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Sometimes it's more about the musicians are not wearing, man.

Commando it is then...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't think I would like his music any less if he dressed more casually, but I've always been impressed with Paul Cebar's choice of clothing for performances. He definitely has a nice style.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Galoot wrote:I don't think I would like his music any less if he dressed more casually, but I've always been impressed with Paul Cebar's choice of clothing for performances. He definitely has a nice style.

Word.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Sun May 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I admit to digging on style (and regrettably have been court-mandated to award points). Predictably enough, all genres of music have types of clothing & such that can be associated with them. Based solely on their appearance (and equipment?), maybe I subconsciously begin to draw a mental picture of a band's sound as they take the stage before they've strummed a note. That being said, and kind of back to minicat's comment; if a band truly has it going on they can transcend all the superficial bullshit.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm

I think it only matters before I hear the music; if I already know I like it, what the musicians wear won't matter. On the contrary, I have been hearing more and more buzz about the local band PHOX, but after seeing the guy on the front of teh Isthmus this week, I am in no hurry to see them.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music