MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite spot to play on a bill.

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

3 bands do you want to play first second or third

1st
10%
2nd
62%
3rd
29%

Total votes : 21

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:30 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:but 3 60 min. sets just doesnt happen in Madison we've done it a few times in smaller towns manitowoc two rivers brodhead etc.

Au contraire; it happens and is, as I say, the format I prefer.

Depends on the type of music. Cover bands can get the three 1 hour sets but original bands typically don't.

I think solo bills ought to be looked into by bands playing any of kind of music, of whatever authorship. Why? There's more money.

I agree, but I just don't think most bands could pull it off. Original bands would have to bring an unusually large draw to warrant a booker giving them a solo night. Like I said, it'd be pretty rare to find a group that plays all originals being able to do that. Also, that'd be a ton of original material. Not even Bruce Springsteen plays that long without hitting a few covers along the way.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:54 pm

supereightsnate wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:but 3 60 min. sets just doesnt happen in Madison we've done it a few times in smaller towns manitowoc two rivers brodhead etc.

Depends on the type of music. Cover bands can get the three 1 hour sets but original bands typically don't.

I think solo bills ought to be looked into by bands playing any of kind of music, of whatever authorship. Why? There's more money.

that works great for you songwriters; not so great for us "sidemen"

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I meant not solo acoustic, singer-songwriter shows, but shows at which one band plays all the sets, no opener. Acts like Sleepy LaBeef, Dale Watson and BR549 do great with these kinds of shows, and they're also fun to play. FWIW, Watson and BR549 play a mix of originals and covers, and Sleepy plays all covers, or maybe interpretations is a better word. (At the Crystal a while back, he blew my mind with a medley of "Don't Mess With My Toot Toot" and "Elvira."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:54 pm

supereightsnate wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:

that works great for you songwriters; not so great for us "sidemen"

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I meant not solo acoustic, singer-songwriter shows, but shows at which one band plays all the sets, no opener. Acts like Sleepy LaBeef, Dale Watson and BR549 do great with these kinds of shows, and they're also fun to play. FWIW, Watson and BR549 play a mix of originals and covers, and Sleepy plays all covers, or maybe interpretations is a better word. (At the Crystal a while back, he blew my mind with a medley of "Don't Mess With My Toot Toot" and "Elvira.")
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:56 pm

last. have fun going onstage after us. it'd better be your best show ever.
Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mick Shrimpton » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:20 pm

Stepbrother wrote:last. have fun going onstage after us. it'd better be your best show ever.

keep talking. :lol:
Mick Shrimpton

Postby Robdzatu » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:18 pm

Last....if you're worth it you headline....

I like to open though cause we set the tone for what's goin on. Although the last time we opened we had mad band drama unfold. Oh well, it'll be on our VH1 Behind The Scenes show :D :D
Robdzatu
Forum Addict

Postby Stepbrother » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:49 pm

Mick Shrimpton wrote:
Stepbrother wrote:last. have fun going onstage after us. it'd better be your best show ever.

unless you are Clutch, Mudvayne, Zakk Wylde, or Awesome Car Funmaker (gotta throw my favorite locals in there), enjoy.

Ra and Trapt not included, sold separately.
:lol:
Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mick Shrimpton » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:52 pm

Stepbrother wrote:
Mick Shrimpton wrote:

unless you are Clutch, Mudvayne, Zakk Wylde, or Awesome Car Funmaker (gotta throw my favorite locals in there), enjoy.

Ra and Trapt not included, sold separately.
:lol:

more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! zack wild rules! randy roads was wussy.
Mick Shrimpton

Postby hulk » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:21 pm

funniest post ever!
hulk
Forum Addict

Postby madt0wn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:32 pm

So if I wear a kilt and some goofy contacts with 'scarey' pictures on them, can we play after you?

Sorry, I had to try to cut on someone talking that big and you're too good at what you do for me to rip on the music.
madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:48 am

madt0wn wrote:

So if I wear a kilt and some goofy contacts with 'scarey' pictures on them, can we play after you?

Sorry, I had to try to cut on someone talking that big and you're too good at what you do for me to rip on the music.

I wish people would take us more seriously without having to talk so much big shit that it spurs controversy within the indie douchebag community.
:cry:

(damn, someone likes us?)
Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sparkleandfade » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:27 pm

Most of the time we're just happy to be there. 2nd is the sweet spot, though. When we're on the road, it's pretty nice to go first, get it on, get it over with and then socialize and meet people the rest of the night, maybe even sell a few discs for gas money.
sparkleandfade
Forum Addict

Postby droidsattack » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:45 pm

I prefer to play second, but we really don't care most of the time.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby stomper » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:07 pm

Y'know, I've only ever played all night, 1st of 2, or middle of a bunch.

I totally agree that a one-band night is a lot of fun. I like to see the crowd change, people get drunker, old farts go home, young punks come out. I always end up feeling like I just ran a 10k.

Otherwise, the only problem I have opening or playing the middle set is that it's sometimes hard to get the band focused enough to pound out a 45 minute power set (25 is even worse). I like the pacing of a 90 minute show. Often our all-night gigs will be two of those plus a 25 minute closer.
stomper
Forum Addict

Postby The Emporer Is Naked » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:46 pm

I hate multi-band bills. I'd rather play all night. I like 45 minute sets.
The Emporer Is Naked

Previous

Return to Madison Music