MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

GOT STUFF??

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Would you use SHAYMAXSALES to sell you un used gear??

Poll ended at Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:14 am

YES
7%
NO
20%
MAYBE
7%
HELL NO!!
67%

Total votes : 15

Postby juanton » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:31 pm

shaymax wrote:that would have been a huge waste of money to try and reach all the negative souls on this site!

What did you expect? Most of us negatives have been buying/selling/trading gear for 20 years or more(give or take the less/more).
Last edited by juanton on Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mr. Blues » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:33 pm

juanton wrote:I could take better pictures with a pin hole camera.

Granted, I have been an eBay conduit for friends before, yet I never, ever, thought I deserved a 30% cut. This person is obviously lookin' for the laziest of us folks. Most folks I know who are looking to sell band equipment type shit have way less patience for eBay. It's more like, "man I'm trying to sell this amp for $300.00. I know it's worth more, yet I need the money NOW and I know that you'll still have my amp in a month, so I can maybe buy it back when I'm back on my feet." Yeah right, I'm usually just as tight on money myself.

I'll sell my own shit on eBay Thank You. Don't need anyone else beyond PayPal and eBay taking fees. I can deal with the packaging, shipping, and insurance myself.

Don't sell your shit on ebay, sell it to me. Unless it's shit. I'm at my store everyday. By the way we moved to 2730 Atwood Ave.

Now that's how you sneak in a plug.
Mr. Blues

Postby juanton » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:48 pm

I once helped a friend sell on eBay. He bought an early 60's Ludwig snare drum in red sparkle with original snare stand and case for about $20 at an area garage sale. I spent time cleaning up the chrome, put some new coated Ambassadors on it and ended up selling the drum for $350.00 to some fella in Japan.

I could never get that from a local music shop.
Last edited by juanton on Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:25 am

shaymax wrote:WOW!!!! :D I feel like a group of vulture's just tore me appart.

If you cant take the heat, don't start your own business. Potential customers have every right to tear into you if they smell a rat, and they will ask you much more directly exactly why they should pay you for something they are capable of doing themselves. It's your job to handle this situation with dignity and sincerity. You should have thought of concise answers to these questions before you offered your services.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:29 am

Douchebag. Don't consult a focus group then blame them when they tell you your shit stinks.

You take some of the shittiest product photos I've ever seen, you're an asshole to your potential customers, and your site design is straight out of 1997. Did you get the idea for this business from a late-night infomercial or something?
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:28 am

And if you had a shred of business sense, you would know that readers of this particular forum are not a random or typical sampling of Isthmus readers, Madisonites, musicians, or anything else except perhaps local self-important blowhards. You would be foolish to make a business decision based on what anybody here says. And any idiot should realize that whatever measly appeal your business has is related to convenience and the general laziness of musicians, not the economic benefits (because there aren't any). There, with a single paragraph I've just improved your business plan immensely. And I'm not even gonna charge you my standard consulting fee. This is your lucky day.
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shaymax » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:35 am

Thanks for all the advice.... I actually have been looking into a few things related to the comments made.

Don't consult a focus group then blame them when they tell you your shit stinks.

I have not blamed anybody for anything.... where is this coming from.
If you cant take the heat, don't start your own business.

Did I say I can't take the heat? No... Did you see the little smiley face.... it means I was smiling... wow what a concept.

You take some of the shittiest product photos

I will agree that the photos are fuzzy. This is actually a bi-product of the gallery program that I used to create the photo section. All photos that are used for auctions are perfectly fine quality for selling purposes.

and your site design is straight out of 1997

Nobody said the site was great either. It mearly needs to hold information for clients to check out. To be honest, I do not think any of my current clients really care what my site looks like. To them, its way cleaner than any pawn shop in this town... and the return on your gear is much better than any pawn shop will give you.

For those of you who actually do care, (which maybe one of you, if that) this business has already been in operation for well over a year. There is highs and lows just like every business attempt. For the most part, I have a steady flow of items coming in every week.

Oh.... perhaps the best thing of all... the only complaints I have ever received about my business: Came from this forum. Funny Huh.

In closing, Overall I am glad I put this on here. Because there is some great information to be had under all the negativity. I did expect this type of battering when I posted this....(for you can't take the heat, get out tha kicthen people) I have read these forums before!

Thanks to all that put there 2 cents in....
shaymax

Postby bobbyray » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:50 am

Actually, I feel bad now for participating in the piling on. I generally think your type of business offers a pretty lousy deal to customers, but then again so do lots of other types of businesses. Good luck with yours. I'm actually kind of surprised that yours is doing okay. I was just over at my local UPS Store this morning shipping something I sold on ebay, and the guy there was telling me that in all the time they've offered the "auction drop" service, he's handled exactly one customer. But then it's not something they focus on--they're just a drop site. Anyway, I won't be using your service, since I actually enjoy selling my own crap, but somebody out there obviously finds it useful.

BTW you should understand that using the Forum to advertise a business is generally frowned upon by the proprietors. I'm frankly surprised jjoyce hasn't ziggied this thread already.
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AreaDrummer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:01 am

shaymax wrote:I will agree that the photos are fuzzy. This is actually a bi-product of the gallery program that I used to create the photo section. All photos that are used for auctions are perfectly fine quality for selling purposes.

I don't think people are doubting your camera or your photo manipulation software at all. I'd be concerned with the shoddy looking building that you've allowed to sneak into your product photos. People see that and think "I'm buying something that was stored in there?" Put up a curtain or SOMETHING so you can at least fool people into thinking you're in a nice building.

The tearing apart came from the forum-foul of posting an business ad disguised as a poll. You're supposed to pay to promote your business on this forum. Don't ask people if you should or not.

I won't use your service. My eBay customers like the fact that I'm "the guy in the basement" rather than a commercial vendor who plaster over-priced buy-it-now auctions on page after page (not that you would. that's a side-rant against evil businesses that saturate eBay)

Anyhow, good luck to you. Buy a curtain.
AreaDrummer

Re: GOT STUFF??

Postby zazu » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:32 pm

I thought the website was ok, clear and readable, better than flash or something that takes 5 minutes to load. I sell my own gear on ebay; but if these wedding rings don't sell...

-Zaz
shaymax wrote:Hello All.

Based in Monona, WI

Check it out! Http://www.shaymaxsales.com

Thanks for looking.
Shay
zazu
Forum Addict

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:12 pm

Just a thought... You are in a business that interacts with the public over the Internet. Some people will regard your website as a sample of the quality of your work.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sparkleandfade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:07 am

I'll design your website. Fire me an email,

aaron at apparently-nothing.com and check out my portfolio,

http://www.ambithium.com

/shameless
sparkleandfade
Forum Addict

Postby AreaDrummer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:42 pm

Nice work, sparkleandfade. Very clean and usable.

Logos are fantastic!
AreaDrummer

Previous

Return to Madison Music