MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Mr. Robert's a decent venue for non-jam music

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Is Mr. Robert's a decent venue for non-jam music

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:25 pm

Has anyone ever played or seen one of the Punk Rock Sunday shows? I wonder if it wouldn't be such a bad place to play, I definitely like it being in the Schenk/Atwood area. Do the bands get paid? I don't think they do a cover charge...
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby christopher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm

it's cool ... sort of cramped and you only get paid donations
christopher
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TJM » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:12 pm

I just played there and had a lot of fun. Straight ahead rock n roll is what we do and the crowd seemed to enjoy themselves. Very good tips left. Those tired of only playing for their significant others, friends, and musicians should try and get a gig at Roberts.
TJM

Postby droidsattack » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:27 pm

My band Straught to Audio picked up a gig there March 11th, so we'll see. I like the no cover idea for weeknights, and the Schenk/Atwood neighborhood rules. I'm pretty stoked to check it out.
Last edited by droidsattack on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:23 pm

I've always wanted to play there because of the atmosphere and clientel that is open to all kinds of music.
Once we get up and running again we're going to book a gig there and check it out.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby stephenchioda » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:49 am

i've played there twice and had a blast both times. now that the corral room doesn't have shows, this is probably my favorite place to play. bartenders and patrons are really nice plus there's good beer on tap.
stephenchioda
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:45 am

christopher wrote:and you only get paid donations

Unfortunately there were a few sunday nite punk shows where the bands got little to no money. That has been changed and things should continue to get better if people continue to show up. We've been working with the owner to not only continue paying a guarentee but also paying more when the bands bring in good crowds.

I will say on Mr. Roberts behalf that bands are generally treated well at the bar, not insulted with one or two free drink tix like some places...

In addition to sunday nites, bands like El Donk, The Blueheels, Supa Ranks, Trinity James, Clovis Mann, Vibe Syndicate, and many other non-jam bands have had successful weekend shows and many continue to book more dates.

It is what it is. A little dive bar that has bands play. Without a stage or advertising I don't think I would ever call it a venue. No one is getting rich playing there, but it's a great location, and a pretty good walk in crowd no matter what band is playing.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:58 pm

When I had a band, we loved playing there. The crowd was always... interested and the staff was super-cool. Not the most spacious set-up, but one of my favorite places to play.
madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:55 pm

The Sundays that I've been there have brought anything but the monotypical hippie crowd. The crowd seemed more punkish ala Wisco to me.

Good drinks ($2 rum rails if I recall) as a customer. From my experience the band gets unlimited rail drinks & beer. Awesome.

The playing area is small but OK. Love the fact there's no cover charge even if that means no band moo.

Good place. Fun vibe.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:56 pm

yeah, don't get me wrong ... the "donation only" policy is cool with me.

i'll take no money over no cool venues to play at any day.
christopher
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:26 pm

eriedasch wrote:Unfortunately there were a few sunday nite punk shows where the bands got little to no money. That has been changed and things should continue to get better if people continue to show up. We've been working with the owner to not only continue paying a guarentee but also paying more when the bands bring in good crowds.

I'm quoting myself to emphasize that IN THE PAST there may have been sunday nites when bands did not get paid, or only got paid tips. As it was when we first started live music down there my band played for free to prove to the owner that it was worthwhile to even bother having bands.

However, NOW and GOING FORWARD all bands get paid a guarentee because having bands on sundays has shown to be worthwhile.

I do not have much to do with the sunday nite shows and realize that split btw. 3 bands, the guarentee is not going to be a whole lot. But that can be complemented with the no cover and passing the tip jar.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shaneface » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:24 am

I think it'd be a great place for non-jam bands to play as long as non-jam crowds show up. Sundays are the "punk nights" I hear.

Course I've begged off the last two Sundays so I guess I should put my money where my mouth is.
shaneface
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:27 pm

It certainly sound like a place to play a decent gig. It really seems to have started to fill that hole left by the Anchor a few years ago.
Anyone care to comment on whether they would prefer the basement of the Nickel to Mr. Robert's?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby shaneface » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 pm

I prefer the Nickel in that:
1. You have tons of control over the basement--you can charge a cover or let people in free, have 1 or 4 bands play, have a DJ or pick out your own music and basically do what you want for the show
2. The barstaff rules and booking through Danielle is a BREEZE.
3. Having a basement means that if you're not enjoying the show you can drink upstairs. Saves performers the awkwardness of playing for bored people and audience members the strain of shouting over music they don't like.
4. $1.50 PBRs.
5. Pizza.

Haven't played or seen a show at Roberts in forever, but these are the reasons why Glass Nickel is my favorite venue to set up shows in town.
shaneface
Forum Addict

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:35 pm

So how does one go about getting in one of these Sunday night shows?

www.myspace.com/cutoutsmadison
Scott
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music