MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Where should I send those pesky press releases?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Press releases - is it worth it?

Yes, my cat made a cool noise coughing up a guitar pick, I wrote a press release, and it got picked up by Parade magazine.
67%
No, press releases are diametrically opposed to our bands vision of the indie roots culture paradigm, according to our bass player
No votes
"please sir, will you release release the press? I believe it has crushed my thumb"...
33%

Total votes : 6

Postby artpaul » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:45 am

superman wrote:musicnews@isthmus.com

This is funny !

I told people from the isthmus about The Art Paul Tribute before it came out to maybe be interviewed and they weren't interested but they were if there was one.

and then when it came out
I sent them a copy of Art Paul Schlosser{The Tribute !}CD and they never reviewed it though I admit they did put the CD release party in the critics choice section.

That is why it is so sad we lost Rick's Cafe.

Rick's Cafe was the local musicians friend.

So is Maximum Ink.

But did you know MATC has a newspaper ?

It's called the Clarion.

Maybe they might tell people about your band ?

They wrote about The Art Paul Tribute too.

Hey but I might be wrong about the Isthmus and they may still want to write about me sometime so give them a shot if nothing else they list you in the calendar.

Maybe they want to write about me if my Tribute CD wins a MAMA please vote for it in the compilation catagory at http://www.themamas.org

Or check out the CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/artpaul15
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hastings » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:44 pm

artpaul wrote:I'm not sure you should send every press release out to everyone. You could wear out your welcome. As with relatives only use their help when you really need it so only bother the press when it's really going to pay off. & sometimes concentrate on certain avenues and other avenues at other times.

i think that's probably decent advice, but i guess here's another angle to consider...
[keep in mind that my attitude towards "human" contact may not jibe with that of the average "editor"--and that as a freelancer i've done stuff that often involved a PR firm serving as a buffer between artist and press]

if i received a generic press release--that i knew was mass-mailed--once a week from an artist who was gigging all over town, I wouldn't mind. It's easy to selectively read/ignore stuff like that.

On the other hand:
If the same artist sent a more personalized message in advance of every single performance--and this was occuring weekly, but there wasn't anything really differentiating one show from another... that would be, shall we say, counterproductive.
hastings

Previous

Return to Madison Music