MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Long Winters @ High Noon

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Long Winters @ High Noon

Postby aaronetc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Wow, what a great show. Even Winterpills, who I don't much care for and meant to skip, were kind of decent, and the other two opening acts were terrific. But geez, John Roderick of the Long Winters might be the most engaged frontman I've ever seen. My only regret is that, since I was in the balcony getting some sweet video, I couldn't call out for "New Girl" when they were taking requests.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:21 pm

I spotted you there, Aaron, along with Marco Pogo and a few other local luminaries. Emily's review:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... ticle=6044

I've only seen the Long Winters once before, opening for Death Cab in front of an apathetic crowd in Chicago a fe years ago. They are definitely a band in full command of their songs and stage show. People who bowed out of seeing that show at the last minute (happens on Thursday nights) definitely missed out.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:06 pm

jjoyce wrote:I spotted you there, Aaron, along with Marco Pogo and a few other local luminaries. Emily's review:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... ticle=6044

ugghh - what a review. Since when do bands that play good music have to engage in "theatrics"? Fine if they do, and you're into that sort of thing. But plenty of us go to see music for the, you know, *music*. On that basis Winterpills were, IMO, the best band there. Very good musicianship, great singing and harmonies, and a guitarist who actually didn't feel the need to let his ego intrude on the songs.

Stars of Track and Field could not be accused of a lack of theatrics. Unfortunately, their theatrics, complete with overblown light show, were the most memorable part of their performance. Unless you're into Radiohead meets Coldplay cover bands. Except if they'd been singing covers it would have been less cliched.

Bound Stems put on a good performance. Clever, quirky songs that keep you on your toes. Nice interplay between the two leads.

The Long Winters were obviously the main draw for the crowd there, who seemed to be getting into it. They played well enough - good, tight performance from a band who obviously knows their material very well. But having said that, I and my two friends found their music pretty insipid. Same old same old. Nothing particularly original. At first I thought maybe it was meant to be a bit of a tongue-in-cheek poke at classic rock, but as the show went on I figured they were playing it straight up. Yawn.

OK - before I get slammed, obviously plenty of people will disagree with me, and that's fine. Just thought I'd offer a different take on the evening.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby supereightsnate » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:44 pm

i know this is a bit weird coming form a guy who regularily goes to the mat defending bubblegum pop, but the Long Winters records could definitely benifit from being just a tad bit more arty. Maybe a bit of grit? Less emotive?

That said, I was interested in checking them out live, but headlining on a thursday night bumped me out.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:09 pm

supereightsnate wrote:the Long Winters records could definitely benifit from being just a tad bit more arty. Maybe a bit of grit? Less emotive?

I don't know, their recent stuff expands their sound a lot I think. "Sky Is Open," "Rich Wife" and "The Commander Thinks Aloud" all are pretty divergent from the When I Pretend To Fall core.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby supereightsnate » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:15 pm

aaronetc wrote:
supereightsnate wrote:the Long Winters records could definitely benifit from being just a tad bit more arty. Maybe a bit of grit? Less emotive?

I don't know, their recent stuff expands their sound a lot I think. "Sky Is Open," "Rich Wife" and "The Commander Thinks Aloud" all are pretty divergent from the When I Pretend To Fall core.

fair enough. WIPTF is the one i'm most familiar with.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music