MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Lack Of Milwaukee Bands In Madison

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Lack Of Milwaukee Bands In Madison

Postby MadMind » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:54 am

Is it just me or has it always seemed that local Milwaukee bands aren't booked in Madison nearly as much as Madison bands book gigs in Milwaukee?
Where's the support? Where's the camaraderie?

I know a band hailing from southeastern WI who is now having trouble getting booked in Madison. One of their former Madison guys seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, the other recently dropped out of his band and Jameson from The Annex isn't there any longer. They'd been playing The Klinic and The Annex - I don't think they ever played the High Noon though I certainly think they should.

Any suggestions for them or any other bands from Southeastern WI who would like to book the occasional gig in Madison?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:11 am

they should try the king club.

also, it's always easiest to get a show going if you partner with a local band and do w show swap. get the madison band to set up a madison show, and the milwaukee band sets up a milwaukee show.

and speaking of milwaukee bands, is there anyone who is friends with the Goodnight Loving who could please get them to play here. I really want to see them, but I don't know anyone in the band.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:48 pm

supereightsnate wrote:and speaking of milwaukee bands, is there anyone who is friends with the Goodnight Loving who could please get them to play here. I really want to see them, but I don't know anyone in the band.

Sort of -- My brother-in-law is in a band with Austin from GNL. My sense is that no one in their part of the MKE scene gives a shit about Madison, though. I don't think their current band has ever played Madison in five years together, although their previous band played Mifflin St. once.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby Jesse Russell » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:30 pm

supereightsnate wrote:also, it's always easiest to get a show going if you partner with a local band and do w show swap. get the madison band to set up a madison show, and the milwaukee band sets up a milwaukee show.

Are there really that many Madison bands who play Milwaukee? Discussions I've had led me to believe that there is a wall somewhere on I-94 only allowing one or two bands from each city cross pollinate. Have any Madison bands had a hard time playing Milwaukee?
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby DrAwkward » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Lots of Milwaukee bands play Madison--just not in the usual bars.

On April 13, Bear Proof Suit, Truthdealer, and Louis Tully, all Milwaukee bands, are playing Glass Nickel Pizza. These bands, i believe, have all played in Madison before, but they usually play in basements because that's where the people they know in Madison book shows.

If you want to book Goodnight Loving, just get ahold of them through their MySpace or something. They are all amazingly nice guys, and i don't see why they'd say no. They're all part of the Milwaukee basement scene, too, though, so i honestly dunno how often they look at playing bars out of town. But they should!

And if you DO want to bring more Milwaukee bands out to Madison at more, i dunno, "happening?" (for lack of a better word) venues like King Club or High Noon or wherever, make sure they have some solid-drawing locals on the bill, and make sure those locals play AFTER the Milwaukee bands. We've been playing Madison regularly for, what, six years, and if we play after Droids Attack, all their fans still bug out instead of sticking around for us! Then again, maybe we're just not that good. But you can decide that for yourself when MY Milwaukee band, IfIHadAHiFi, plays the Inferno for Charlie Don't Surf's monthly shindig on Thursday May 31!
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Aha! Also, tonight Milwaukee noise-pranksters E=MC Hammer are playing in town, and there it is, right in the Hype Exchange!
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Just because a Milwaukee band is having problems being booked in Madison does not mean that Milwaukee bands are being discriminated against.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:48 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:Are there really that many Madison bands who play Milwaukee? Discussions I've had led me to believe that there is a wall somewhere on I-94 only allowing one or two bands from each city cross pollinate.

Perhaps not. Seems to me it comes in waves.
oranger wrote:Just because a Milwaukee band is having problems being booked in Madison does not mean that Milwaukee bands are being discriminated against.

I didn't necessarily mean to infer they were being discriminated against, they've just been having a hard time booking shows in Madison lately since their booking buddies dropped out.
aaronetc wrote:My sense is that no one in their part of the MKE scene gives a shit about Madison, though.

Do you think that your general Milwaukee band cares less about playing Madison than say your average Madison band cares about playing Milwaukee?

Are Milwaukee bands less inclined to tour the state than Madison bands?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:45 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:
supereightsnate wrote:also, it's always easiest to get a show going if you partner with a local band and do w show swap. get the madison band to set up a madison show, and the milwaukee band sets up a milwaukee show.

Are there really that many Madison bands who play Milwaukee? Discussions I've had led me to believe that there is a wall somewhere on I-94 only allowing one or two bands from each city cross pollinate. Have any Madison bands had a hard time playing Milwaukee?

i've been playing milwaukee in different bands for years, maybe a show every six months. always been at wierd art spaces and punk performance spaces, but that's cool with me.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:30 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:Are there really that many Madison bands who play Milwaukee? Discussions I've had led me to believe that there is a wall somewhere on I-94 only allowing one or two bands from each city cross pollinate. Have any Madison bands had a hard time playing Milwaukee?

I have noticed a bit more attitude from some Milwaukee scenesters about Madison being sort of a candy-ass little intellectual hippy town. While Milwaukee being fundamentally grittier, tougher and blue-collar town which is largely true until you get out to "honky Milwaukee" (Waukesha county and other surrounding 'burbs where Republicans who desperately afraid of increased pigment and not having drive their Escalade a goddamn mile just to get to a convenience store). Since danger=cool. I am not calling any particular scenesters or bands to east out as to not to add to the blood feud, but I have gotten that vibe from a couple entities that shall remain nameless.

At the same time until a year or two ago I had sort of a mistakenly dismissive attitude towards Milwaukee's music scene in favor of Madison's which has always been somewhere between good and stellar for the size community we are. However in the last year or two I have been realizing how many good bands there are like HiFi, Modern Machines, Bear Proof Suit (playing Glass Nickel April 14th), Holy Shit, Lefty Loosie, Skull Time, Brief Candles, The Mistreaters, Chinese Telephones (playing Mr. Roberts April 8th), Somebody Talked (playing the Crystal on April 7th) and a bunch others I can't think of right this moment.

In any case more camaraderie between the only two towns worth residing in within the borders known as Wisconsin would be a good thing. And the best way to make that happen is the time honored tradition of show trades.

Still that being said I would much rather continue to live in my near east side neighborhood in Madison than Riverwest where Doc Awk has to have at least 20 time higher chance of catching a piece of rapidly moving lead than I do walking home late at night. Guess I'm a pussy. Then again the fact that the Milwaukee rock scene has not risen up to blow up or in some other way destroy the Rave speaks to their cowardice.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:43 pm

a few shows in the past/future i've either set up/played/or been associated with that featured Milwaukee bands:

10/20/06 @ CORRAL ROOM Holy Shit! / Modern Machines
12/15/06 @ 9th WARD The Fragments (2/3 Milwaukee) / The Kind of Jazz Music that Kills
01/20/07 @ GLASS NICKEL Tuff Bananas
03/09/07 @ GLASS NICKEL Beach Patrol (2/3 Milwaukee)
UPCOMING: 4/13/07 @ GLASS NICKEL Truthdealer/Bear Proof Suit/Louis Tully

Goodnight Loving has played here at least 5 times - 2 of which i've booked. the last time was August 23rd @ the Corral Room when (maybe) 5 non-band people showed up.
christopher
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:40 pm

Who is this mysterious band that can't get booked in Madison?
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:44 pm

MadMind wrote:Do you think that your general Milwaukee band cares less about playing Madison than say your average Madison band cares about playing Milwaukee?

Well, I only really know one Milwaukee band, Jail, and their immediate sphere, and I certainly get the sense that they really don't care about playing Madison, even though they're constantly driving out to road shows that really seem like a big waste of time (Hey, let's blow some gas on hitting Des Moines for the weekend!) Definitely they identify with the dirtiness of the Riverwest scene, and I think see Madison as somehow more fey in general than, say, Onopa.

The only other Milwaukee band I know, the Box Social, is now a Madison band since its members all migrated here for school; not surprisingly, they have a much more positive inter-city attitude. Excepting bands that have actually moved between the cities, though, I'd guess that younger bands are less likely to see the other city as a necessary destination.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby supereightsnate » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 am

oh, and let's not forget The Paragraphs. During their 2 year run, they played extremely popular sets at the Anchor and Slipper club.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jesse Russell » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:06 am

supereightsnate wrote:oh, and let's not forget The Paragraphs. During their 2 year run, they played extremely popular sets at the Anchor and Slipper club.

Are the Paragraphs done? I saw them at the Catacombs two years ago. That was a great and well attended show.

I'm glad this discussion is taking place because I've actually been looking at setting up monthly show trades. I have a potential Madison venue that could host it, but I'm having problems finding a sister venue in Milwaukee. the goal would be to get out of the basements - not that there is anything wrong with the basements.

I'm also trying to figure out if it would be best to go 2MKE/2MSN bands or 2MSN/1MKE when in Madison and 2MKE/1MSN when in Milwaukee.

Are three bands better than four?
Last edited by Jesse Russell on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Madison Music