MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, March 6, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Lack Of Milwaukee Bands In Madison

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:28 am

DrAwkward wrote:
MadMind wrote:Without taking lyrics into account, the sounds from Milwaukee/Southeastern WI seem to convey that of conflict, struggle and strife - sounds of non-complacency, moreso than the majority of sounds/vibe emenating from Madison bands.


Huh?

Honestly not trying to be a dick or anything, but could you elaborate?

Being in Milwaukee, i could produce a pretty healthy list of Milwaukee bands who sound "complacent" to my ears, but i won't name names. But i'm not sure if i'm following what you mean. Do you mean the music in Milwaukee sounds maybe more "adventurous" than what you've heard in Madison? If that's what you're implying, i don't think that's a geographic thing. I'd say 95% of bands everywhere sound complacent.

It's quite alright, at the very least my post deserves a "huh?".
I didn't mean complacency in reference to a bands musical stylings, but as in reference to life and using sound as way to paint a portrait which projects a certain vibe.
It wasn't a 'dig' on either music scenes.
Perhaps I shouldn't of gotten off track like this, obviously my post is entirely opionated and therefore subjective.
Perhaps it's just been my experience. Perhaps it's a result of hearing the contrast in inter-city show line-ups. I dunno. Pay me no mind.
Last edited by MadMind on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 am

Does Sheppy know about this?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:15 pm

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:03 pm

SombreroFallout wrote:Does Sheppy know about this?

WTF? Are you trying to sabotage the thread?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby The New Loud » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Hey Everyone,

I think the problem with Milwaukee bands in Madison and vice/versa for that matter is most Madison clubs probably just see Milwaukee bands as local bands with a really shitty draw. This is especially true when bands from either city are trying to "break-in" to the other city. I think its a similar situation with Milwaukee and Chicago.

The cities aren't far enough apart to put the bands in a "touring bands" category.

Also, as far as indie/punk/whatever I'm not sure if Madison has enough venues to include smaller draw regionals and keep up with giving regular shows to the Madison locals.

Just a thought,

Shane
The New Loud
http://www.newloud.com
http://www.myspace.com/thenewloud
The New Loud
Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:33 pm

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:44 pm

The New Loud wrote:Hey Everyone,

I think the problem with Milwaukee bands in Madison and vice/versa for that matter is most Madison clubs probably just see Milwaukee bands as local bands with a really shitty draw. This is especially true when bands from either city are trying to "break-in" to the other city. I think its a similar situation with Milwaukee and Chicago.

The cities aren't far enough apart to put the bands in a "touring bands" category.

Also, as far as indie/punk/whatever I'm not sure if Madison has enough venues to include smaller draw regionals and keep up with giving regular shows to the Madison locals.

Just a thought,

Shane
The New Loud
http://www.newloud.com
http://www.myspace.com/thenewloud

Good, honest post. So whats the consensus folks, agree or disagree?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby christopher » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Image
christopher
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 8:51 am
Location: not Madison

riverwest commons

Postby earlfoss » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:33 am

I have to say, despite crappy PA stuff etc. The Riverwest Commons is a very fun place to play. We've been there a few times now and had some really good shows. Even better than that is the fact that the owner really wants to help bands out and get some good headliners in there. I'm not sure how on people's radar that place is but I'd suggest at least giving it a try. The owner's name is Sergio and he's an honest, very good guy.
earlfoss
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: Madison

Re: riverwest commons

Postby DrAwkward » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:40 pm

earlfoss wrote:I have to say, despite crappy PA stuff etc. The Riverwest Commons is a very fun place to play. We've been there a few times now and had some really good shows. Even better than that is the fact that the owner really wants to help bands out and get some good headliners in there. I'm not sure how on people's radar that place is but I'd suggest at least giving it a try. The owner's name is Sergio and he's an honest, very good guy.


It's a fun dive, but according to Sergio, "loud punk bands" aren't allowed there anymore because "the people who come to those shows disrespect the venue." To be fair, he had some bad experiences there, but we're not allowed to play there anymore because we apparently fall under the "loud punk band" category in his mind, even though i don't think they ever had a problem with people "disrespecting" the place at one of our shows. Oh well. It's a fun room and if you're allowed to play it, have fun--i have fond memories of playing there.

Linneman's just a block down, though, has a way nicer space, better PA, and is just as easy to book.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:49 am

Postby earlfoss » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Yeah, it's a true dive. I'm not sure what's left in the place that can be broken. The wall is falling down in the men's room...
earlfoss
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: Madison

Postby MadMind » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:19 pm

DrAwkward wrote:Lots of Milwaukee bands play Madison--just not in the usual bars.

On April 13, Bear Proof Suit, Truthdealer, and Louis Tully, all Milwaukee bands, are playing Glass Nickel Pizza. These bands, i believe, have all played in Madison before, but they usually play in basements because that's where the people they know in Madison book shows.

Basement band shows and/or shows at The Glass Nickel (quite possibly the most cramped space in Madison, and not one designed for live music) DO NOT COUNT.
I'm looking for slightly more established bands.

But I give up. To truly experience another cities 'music scene', one must go there. Both Madison and Milwaukee only get a fragmented view of what the other city has to offer.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby DrAwkward » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:02 pm

MadMind wrote:Basement band shows and/or shows at The Glass Nickel (quite possibly the most cramped space in Madison, and not one designed for live music) DO NOT COUNT.
I'm looking for slightly more established bands.


Sorry dude. Not only do i disagree, but i think that statement is complete horseshit. "Slightly more established bands?" You start a thread bitching about the lack of Milwaukee bands in Madison, and then tack on amendments after the fact? "Oh, but those bands don't count because they're not established enough."

Whatever.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:49 am

Postby Cooltapes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:07 pm

MadMind wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:Lots of Milwaukee bands play Madison--just not in the usual bars.

On April 13, Bear Proof Suit, Truthdealer, and Louis Tully, all Milwaukee bands, are playing Glass Nickel Pizza. These bands, i believe, have all played in Madison before, but they usually play in basements because that's where the people they know in Madison book shows.

Basement band shows and/or shows at The Glass Nickel (quite possibly the most cramped space in Madison, and not one designed for live music) DO NOT COUNT.
I'm looking for slightly more established bands.

But I give up. To truly experience another cities 'music scene', one must go there. Both Madison and Milwaukee only get a fragmented view of what the other city has to offer.


So now we know 3 bands (5 if you're counting Pistols at Dawn and Sass Dragons) you think don't count. Actually a lot more: anyone who's played Glass Nickel or a basement show. Who then is supposed to be good enough to represent? Except, I'm sorry, you "gave up."
Cooltapes
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:53 pm

Postby MadMind » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:42 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
MadMind wrote:Basement band shows and/or shows at The Glass Nickel (quite possibly the most cramped space in Madison, and not one designed for live music) DO NOT COUNT.
I'm looking for slightly more established bands.


Sorry dude. Not only do i disagree, but i think that statement is complete horseshit. "Slightly more established bands?" You start a thread bitching about the lack of Milwaukee bands in Madison, and then tack on amendments after the fact? "Oh, but those bands don't count because they're not established enough."

Whatever.

Ok ok they count (just not as much).
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby DrAwkward » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 am

MadMind wrote:Ok ok they count (just not as much).


Weak.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:49 am

Postby rrnate » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:34 am

I'm in a band from Milwaukee that's played at the Annex, both Unions, the High Noon, the Lussier, and several parties. I even saw a sticker for my band in an apartment I was viewing for possible fall rental, and we're from Milwaukee. (I live in Madison, but the rest of the gents live in Milwaukee.)

I don't think Madison is particularly anti-Milwaukee bands...I just think, just like anywhere else, people are more likely to see bands they've heard of or know. A Milwaukee band that no one in Madison knows about draws just as poorly as a Philadelphia band no one in Madison knows about.

--nt--
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar