MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

postering etiquette

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Posters are...

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:24 pm

a highly effective marketing tool
3
14%
stupid
2
9%
a necessary evil
14
64%
lobsters
3
14%
 
Total votes : 22

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:13 pm

AJ Love wrote:
eurotic wrote:
I also avoid Tag's posters, if only because it's how he makes his living and I respect that.


agreed, me too....


I understand that Tag does indeed make his living doing this...but I've had him chase me down the street to tell me that I was wrong to cover over even a corner of one of his. He was not yelling at me as he has done in the past over other business but was totally condescending about the situation--talking to me as if I'd never flyered in the 7 years I've lived here and been in bands.
Tag takes ads out in the weeklies and has spots on WORT running---he has a budget and a system in his favor. Me? I put up a few flyers and hope I'm playing somewhere that puts an ad out and spells my name correctly. I do not target Tag's flyers but if there is no other space to put my stuff--especially when he covers more than 1/3 of a side of a kiosk with 5 shows, most of which are all happening after mine--he's going to get covered. I've worked for Tag many times and have no beef with him but flyering may be the only way someone hears about my show whereas there are plenty of ways his shows get in the public eye.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 1:33 am
Location: Taking requests

Postby bobbyray » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:17 pm

AJ Love wrote:
eurotic wrote:
I also avoid Tag's posters, if only because it's how he makes his living and I respect that.


agreed, me too....


Hold the phone here. All Tag-specific issues aside--I've only dealt with him a few times and nothing bad has happened--I have a problem with these statements. Are you saying that a poster that you would otherwise consider covering, you will leave alone solely because it is Tag's? That it's more okay to cover somebody else's poster because they don't fully support themselves doing music? I must take issue with that. Is it more acceptable, say, to tear down a For Rent sign in front of an owner-occupied duplex than to tear down a For Rent sign in front of a property owned by a Professional Landlord?
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:22 am

Postby eurotic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:34 pm

No, I'm saying there's more room on the kiosk than postering over a guy who goes down State St a couple times a day to protect his livelihood.

Plus he and I get along fine, and I have bigger postering threats to deal with. Give him the top stupid chunk and have a free-for-all on the rest. Simple respect.
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:58 pm

Postby bobbyray » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:55 pm

I get your point, eurotic...let's see if I can express mine better. I have no problem with the part about giving him the stupid top chunk. I have a problem with the rest being a free for all. Seems to me that if somebody deserves a whole top ring's worth of respect simply on the basis of having decided to try to make a living on this stuff, then semipro shmucks like the rest of us ought to merit at least 8.5 x 11 (maybe even times 2) worth of respect for our efforts, don't you think?
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:22 am

Postby AJ Love » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:57 pm

bobbyray wrote:Are you saying that a poster that you would otherwise consider covering, you will leave alone solely because it is Tag's?


good question. no not at all. I already posted in this thread that I don't cover up ANYONE'S music poster, unless the show is already passed. Just showing some respect for Tag is all I meant by that
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:11 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Postby dstol » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:07 pm

What about covering the posters of bands that are over 100 decibels and have unintelligible lyrics?
dstol
Senior Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 3:09 pm

Postby droidsattack » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:21 pm

I haven't flyered on State Street in years. I go to bars and pass out hand bills.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:54 pm

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:31 pm

bobbyray wrote:I get your point, eurotic...let's see if I can express mine better. I have no problem with the part about giving him the stupid top chunk. I have a problem with the rest being a free for all. Seems to me that if somebody deserves a whole top ring's worth of respect simply on the basis of having decided to try to make a living on this stuff, then semipro shmucks like the rest of us ought to merit at least 8.5 x 11 (maybe even times 2) worth of respect for our efforts, don't you think?


agreed.
Look, the kiosks are first come first serve.

In a pefect world courtesy would dictate that no one has a right to any specific part unless they are there first, and that others would respect their effort/luck at being the first in a spot and not flyer over them or rip their posters down.

BUT THIS IS NOT A PERFECT WORLD

I wil guarantee you that if you are on State St. on a morning when the kiosks are clear and you take the top spot, Tag and many other will have your posters covered over or ripped down within 48 hours.

That's a fact of doing your advertising this way. If another band doesn't do it WISPIRG, a rental company, and many other people posting will.

I'd warn you against giving space to others out of "respect". You should
understand that they will not recognize nor will they reciprocate your level of courtesy unless you personally strike a deal with them. We did this with Tag and it worked out fine.

Final thought: if you use a poster over 8 1/2 x 11 then you are asking for trouble. I'm always inclined to rip down an 11 x 17 or larger poster that has not only covered my poster, but 10 others as well.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5461
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:33 pm

dstol wrote:What about covering the posters of bands that are over 100 decibels and have unintelligible lyrics?


The Who? Led Zeppelin? Jimi Hendrix?
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5461
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area

Postby eurotic » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:53 am

bobbyray wrote: if somebody deserves a whole top ring's worth of respect simply on the basis of having decided to try to make a living on this stuff, then semipro shmucks like the rest of us ought to merit at least 8.5 x 11 (maybe even times 2) worth of respect for our efforts, don't you think?


Sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, I agree with you. I try to avoid everyone who's got something going on. It's the shitheels who poster all over the kiosks that seem to be the common enemy:)
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:58 pm

Postby Stepbrother » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:47 am

I find making four handbills out of the same size sheet of paper is way more effective in actually getting people out to your shows. stand in the doorway of good shows getting out of the venue you are playing at and try and hit up every person who is leaving. not all will take it, some will just take it out of courtesy, but all in all, it's the people who put the flyer in their pockets and look at it when they're doing laundry three days later that actually come to the show.

that is, of course, assuming your fanbase does laundry or occassionally dumps their pockets out.
Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 4:25 pm
Location: cars, bars, farms, stars

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:39 am

i don't know how many people have told me they found out about a show from one of my silkscreen posters. and i've had people tell me they checked out a show not because they knew anything about the band, but because they liked a poster. posters can work if done right. check out gigposters.com and you'll see some posters done right
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:38 pm

Postby sunspot_mike » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:00 am

Handing flyers and CDs out at shows is better than postering any day. You make a personal connection as well as giving someone something they can look at/listen to later. I've been prevented from handing out fliers at some clubs though, because I was advertising a show at a different venue. A guy has to target an audience any way he can.

Postering is useful for name recognition, but the State Street kiosks are fucking ridiculous. It's not even any fun to poster downtown anymore because the posters don't even stay up for more than a day or two, if that. I'll poster over the weekly event posters if it's already happened that week. I never poster over someone else's upcoming show, unless there's already a coupla other posters on the kiosk, but I don't expect the same of anyone else, because people are assholes. I don't think anyone deserves a top-spot either. Fuck that. I work fucking hard at this too.. If I get there first, poster reasonably (one on each side), and they poster over it, they're an asshole! But, that's the way it goes, if I choose to poster, I know what's involved. You can try to be nice, but there's no real etiquette, and I don't know how much it matters. No one were bigger assholes about postering than Phat Phunktion, and it didn't hurt them any.
sunspot_mike
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:06 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby bobbyray » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:22 am

I've found this thread useful. Thanks to y'all for your input. I come away from this with these thoughts: (1) my ideas about what's right and wrong with regard to postering are pretty close to the norm; (2) nevertheless, based on the fact that so many of us are frustrated by our posters getting covered up, it seems to me that a lot of folks are not practicing what they preach; (3) kiosk hogs are universally scorned, except for Tag, who is only sporadically scorned; and (4) it may be time to just forget about the kiosks and go for a more targeted approach.

Lastly, what do you folks think about the idea of replacing posters with skywriting as the chief method for advertising gigs?
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:22 am

Postby SIZZAW » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:39 am

Stepbrother wrote:that is, of course, assuming your fanbase does laundry or occassionally dumps their pockets out.


BIG assumption.

:shock:
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:24 pm
Location: Aqui

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar