MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bill Frisell Trio @ Majestic - what was that song?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Bill Frisell Trio @ Majestic - what was that song?

Postby Logjam » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:57 am

I caught the Bill Frisell Trio (Bill plus Greg Leisz, Jenny Scheinman) at the Majestic last night, my first visit to the updated venue.

I like the room and the sound was good although there were points where I wanted the fiddle louder. They had rows of chairs set up across the floor level and tier levels; this is probably an open dance floor/standing room for rock shows.

Anyway, does anybody know the song that closed the show (not the encore). I know the melody but I can't place it and it's driving me crazy. The only other songs I recognized were Your Cheatin Heart, Pretty Polly, John Hardy, When You Wish Upon a Star and That's Alright Mama.

The Trio was fantastic - a classic example of a band that doesn't look like it is playing much is really laying down layers of silky underwater melodies. Bill used his looping device on several songs, sometimes speeding up the recording or altering the pitch and on one song they used what appeared to be a tiny music box and improvised along with it. Much of the show appears to be improvised and often 3 or 4 songs/melodies were tied together into a single piece.

The Trios strengths seem to be tone and taste. Everybody is playing but nobody is stepping on anyone else and it all fits together beautifully.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Cooltapes » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:36 pm

I don't know, but my friend said it was a Lucinda Williams song. I like how Frissel ended it, as if saying "etc, ad infinitum..." by playing a double-time loop after the 48th-or-so repetition. (I sometimes space out if a group repeats something a lot, no matter how well done. But it makes me have good thoughts.)

I saw him once when he was here with drummer Brian Blade, and that was really good, but this show was my favorite. I actually liked how the violin blended, sometimes it was hard to tell who was playing what.
Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Postby Logjam » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:29 pm

Lucinda, eh? I just listened to Car Wheels and Essence but nothing jumped out as being that song. I can't remember the melody anymore anyway.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Re: Bill Frisell Trio @ Majestic - what was that song?

Postby Logjam » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:54 pm

There is a really good chance that nobody cares but I suspect it was Ventura by Lucina Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpu33a_Y8VU

Amazing.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music