MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Music cliques in madison---too much? what can be done

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Are there too many music cliques in Madison?

yes there are too many music cliques
29%
who cares? dude get a life
29%
nope, Madison is one big happy family everybody is cool
9%
whats a clique?
6%
if you try to break down my walls I'm gonna kick your ass, punk...
12%
this is the stupidest fucking poll I've ever seen in my life
15%

Total votes : 34

Music cliques in madison---too much? what can be done

Postby AJ Love » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:51 am

this comes from a few conversations I've had lately--- are there too many cliques in Madison? what can be done to break down those walls and get more people to work together?
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Sinclair » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:19 am

I'd agree... are you familiar with the term Blues Nazis? We can start by getting rid of them. Jammers Unite!
Adam Sinclair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:27 am

Human's are tribal in nature, can't be helped.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rudythecat » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:33 am

"I'd agree... are you familiar with the term Blues Nazis? We can start by getting rid of them. Jammers Unite!"

Blues Nazis? Are you talking about folks who don't think the Dead is a blues band? And don't believe that Jimi Hendrix was a blues player? What is a Blues Nazi? The Madison Blues Fest not withstanding (sometimes there are "blues" bands booked, more often than not, not) it seems like Madison has very little support for the genre.
rudythecat

Postby Adam Sinclair » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:48 am

rudythecat wrote:" What is a Blues Nazi? .

I agree Curtis, there is little support for Blues in Madtown, Blues Nazi was coined by a friend of mine, tongue in cheek, refers to the tight-knit clique of professionals that control what support there is in this town.
BTW, I introduced myself to you down at Christy's a while back, we had a conversation about who's was the friendliest blues jam in southern Wis. and you gave me your CD. Thanks! That's the kind of approachability that artists should have. You still doing the jam down south of here? ever need an opening act?
Adam Sinclair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jtopless » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:26 am

Yup, there are lots of cliques in this town, but that's completely natural.

I think Dave from Mudride posted something about this several weeks back. People like to work with people they know. If you're on the outside of that circle of friends, sure, the inside would seem like a clique to you.

I don't think one should take it personally. You just aren't part of the circle yet. They don't know you. You don't know them. Just keep doing what you're doing, you'll run into new people who appreciate your work (and vice-versa) and you become part of the group.
jtopless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:38 am

Do you expect the hipster 20-year olds to hang around at the Harmony while Dad's cover band runs through 'Smoke on the Water?'

Or do you think there is some sort of monopoly on cool-- as in venues, promoters, etc?

Cultivate your own garden, as some famous old guy once said.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rudythecat » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:39 am

After seven years of hosting a weekly jam in Janesville I stopped mostly because of entropy.

I know a Andy Linderman and Paul Black, have played with both and have great respect for their talents. They have been very supportive in my dealings with them. If there is a "blues clique" in Madison I don't think it's so much of a small circle of musicians as a lack of community support much like Janesville. I'm sure that a Blues Nazi would scoff at what I do because I'm not a purist but after watching BB and Bobby Rush's takes on the form Tuesday on the tube, a real Blues Nazi would never lower himself to Bobby Rush's level either. A guy on a harmonica playing with a guy and a guitar in a brew pub lounge can get boring after a while but it's still good entertainment that's not karaoke.

I think I remember you but can't put a face to the name. I'd be happy to entertain the notion of a double bill up there sometime if you have a club in mind. Drop me a line.
rudythecat

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:55 am

Wow cliques huh, wish I was cool enough to run around with one.... :x
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:18 pm

I guess there are some cliques. But I guess if people are too cool to let others in their clique I don't want to know them anyway.

I don't really think it's that big an issue. There's a number of bands in town that really are open to playing shows with new bands and help them get off the ground. I know I've set up a number of shows with bands that haven't played Madison yet, and always had a good time doing it.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:27 pm

There are lots of clique-like groups of friends in town, but I haven't experienced any sort of clique behavior that was actually a barrier to me socially or to the music scene or anything. Seems to me if you wanna talk to someone, go up to em and say hey. This ain't 'Heathers'.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:47 pm

If ya think cliques in Madison are bad, you haven't been to Milwaukee lately.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:03 pm

auntgoodness wrote:Seems to me if you wanna talk to someone, go up to em and say hey. This ain't 'Heathers'.

"Greetings and salutations."

<jack nicholson>
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pedro » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:09 pm

[are there too many cliques in Madison?

The problem maybe that there aren't enough cliques. If there were more, then perhaps there would be a place for everyone.

[what can be done to break down those walls and get more people to work together?

Probably nothing.
Pedro
Forum Addict

Postby AJ Love » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:27 pm

personally speaking, I don't think cliques are really all that bad in Madison. I don't know of too many local musicians who are completely unapproachable

I would like to see more educational opportunities, not just for kids (but especially kids) but for adults too. and not just in the one on one teaching format but also instructional opportunities in ensemble formats and workshops. thats something a group of us are slowly but surely working on helping to put together
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music