MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Motorhead is coming back to Madison!

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Postby sitnspin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:31 am

sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 pm

madhorror wrote:Is this really local music? shouldn;t this be in the Hype exchange as well?

Geez, man you don’t seem to get it. Point one I had the scoop about Motorhead playing the Orpheum before most folks and chose to share that fact on this message board. It is a significant event that a band as legendary as Motorhead was making a tour stop in little ole Madison, Wisconsin. Second, I am not pimping something I have financial interest in. I was simply excited because I goddamn love Motorhead. You won’t ever catch me crowing about Crustacean Records anywhere but in hype exchange or for your listening pleasure because I am less crass and more familiar with the norms of this message board.

Moving on here is a Valient Thorr video. It’s pretty kick ass. Only a few hours until showtime.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:08 pm

What time does Motorhead go on?

I have earplugs I need to test.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Motorhead is coming back to Madison!

Postby Soylentgreen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:00 pm

How was the show?
Soylentgreen

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Soylentgreen wrote:How was the show?

Overall thumbs up. Missed Year Long Disaster. Valient Thorr’s viking beard metal seemed well received by the audience and they put on a good show. However the mix they got fucking sucked. You could not hear the guitars, which was particularly tragic when flashy metal licks are important parts of their songs.

Motorhead rocked quite hard and seemed to be having a good time up there. I have to say it was far from the tightest or longest set by Motorhead, I have witnessed, but still decent and worth the ticket price. The acoustic blues tune for the first encore was a really nice surprise. Predictably the second and final encore was Ace of Spades. I would be fine if they dropped it from their live set as I am tiring of their signature anthem after hearing it for 25 years.

Lastly, I do have to say they were mixing some weak ass drinks at the Orpheum last night. I watched several bartenders pour my Jameson sours and they was always more soda than whiskey. At $6 a drink that is just plain wrong.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:23 pm

The last couple of songs sounded pretty good...from the lobby.

I stopped by to catch the last couple when some guy tried to jump on stage for the second time after being ejected, this time attempting to get naked before the stagedive.

Just got a decent spot upstairs when we had to go down to the lobby to hook that guy up. I sang the break in Ace of Spades (You know I'm going to lose, And gambling's for fools...) while putting on the cuffs. He got released with a couple of citations and I missed the end of the show. Decent guy, he just got a little too excited for his favorite band for his own good.

Later, after I finished writing a driver for inattentive driving for sideswiping the tour buses when she was trying to answer her cellphone, one of the roadcrew gave us some Motorhead guitar picks because we missed the end of the show. Sweet!

After everybody cleared out from the stagedoor area, I found an "artist" laminate for the tour on the sidewalk...SCORE! It's on the front of my amp now.

People leaving the show said it was good and were happy.

Anybody who got to actually see the show got a review?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Soylentgreen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks!

Saw the tour a cpl years back at the Rave (with CoC, Zeke, etc) and thought it was a blast. Wish I could have made it last night
Soylentgreen

Postby Synthetic » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Walter wrote:Just got a decent spot upstairs when we had to go down to the lobby to hook that guy up. I sang the break in Ace of Spades (You know I'm going to lose, And gambling's for fools...) while putting on the cuffs. He got released with a couple of citations and I missed the end of the show. Decent guy, he just got a little too excited for his favorite band for his own good.

Later, after I finished writing a driver for inattentive driving for sideswiping the tour buses when she was trying to answer her cellphone, one of the roadcrew gave us some Motorhead guitar picks because we missed the end of the show. Sweet!

After everybody cleared out from the stagedoor area, I found an "artist" laminate for the tour on the sidewalk...SCORE! It's on the front of my amp now.

People leaving the show said it was good and were happy.

Anybody who got to actually see the show got a review?

Heh, I think you took a statement from me on the stage-diver with pants around the ankles. Also, did the laminate you found have a key attached? One of the Motorhead crew lost his laminate with bus key, and was freaking out.
Synthetic

Postby Walter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm

Nope, no key or lanyard. I went inside showed it to the theatre manager and asked if anyone was looking for it.

Just a laminate with the tour logo on a black field on top and "ARTIST" on a white field on the bottom.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:52 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:Lastly, I do have to say they were mixing some weak ass drinks at the Orpheum last night. I watched several bartenders pour my Jameson sours and they was always more soda than whiskey. At $6 a drink that is just plain wrong.

I had a completely opposite experience and got quite a buzz. The woman bartender was giving generous pours of patron and macallan12 for only $7/piece, filling those plastic glasses to the rim. They weren't doubles....more like triples!

I thought the show was great. The music wasn't loud enough but it was good enough. Nice crowd too. I felt like I was walking though a myspace page, I saw so many familiar faces.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madhorror » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Geez, man you don’t seem to get it.

I get it man, just giving you a raz.
The show was great, I thought that security was a little out of control though. From where I was, I didn't really see anyone causing any problems. I did miss the guy trying to get naked and get onstage. Actually I guess I really didn't miss anything there.
madhorror
Forum Addict

Postby Sky » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:06 am

Bunny Chow wrote:
charliedon'tsurf wrote:Lastly, I do have to say they were mixing some weak ass drinks at the Orpheum last night. I watched several bartenders pour my Jameson sours and they was always more soda than whiskey. At $6 a drink that is just plain wrong.

I had a completely opposite experience and got quite a buzz. The woman bartender was giving generous pours of patron and macallan12 for only $7/piece, filling those plastic glasses to the rim. They weren't doubles....more like triples!

I thought the show was great. The music wasn't loud enough but it was good enough. Nice crowd too. I felt like I was walking though a myspace page, I saw so many familiar faces.

Yup-the female bartender was doing great pours of Jack and Coke.

I thought the show was great. Caught a bit of Year Long Disaster, seemed good, not my style though. Valient (sic?) Thor had a great drummer. I thought the rest of the band was weak. First time seeing Motorhead and they blew me away. I was impressed by their straight-ahead, no-bullshit, heavy duty metal approach (...not really a surprise, just dug it).

Off-topic: Just drove by the Barrymore this am and saw that Apocalyptica is coming. Anyone going?
Sky

Previous

Return to Madison Music